You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Theresa "MAY" not build a better Britain.

Guest Pistonbroke

After a fucking awful conference, Labour’s ‘brilliant’ conference a poll shows the Cons move closer to Labour. Lab 42, Cons 40.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/10/06/voting-intention-conservatives-40-labour-42-4-5-oc/

Voters are more or less firmly entrenched now like America. Thick old racists all in the Tory camp and the romanticising idiots mostly with Labour.

Voters are more or less firmly entrenched now like America. Thick old racists all in the Tory camp and the romanticising idiots mostly with Labour.

This is something I've been saying on here for a while. People are too obsessed with their side winning and not willing to even remotely acknowledge if the other side do or say something that might actually be a good idea.

If either May or Corbyn cured breast cancer you'd have someone on the other side saying "yeah, but they did fuck all about lung cancer". 

There needs to be some kind of acknowledging of what the issues are, then some serious effort to actually find a way of fixing things. Instead it's all name calling, fighting over minor details and how people phrase things while no one actually tackles anything bigger or looks at the longer term. Everything is a short term fix. 

• Upvote 1

I wonder if taking some things out of party politics is the answer. Health, transport and education need long term plans.

I think most reasonable people would agree. Rather than the whole cycle of "we inherited this mess from Labour" followed by "we inherited this mess from the Tories" some kind of consensus on the big stuff is needed and then the debate to be on what is the best way to fix it rather than all the squabbling over who is to blame and cheap points scoring. 

I think most reasonable people would agree. Rather than the whole cycle of "we inherited this mess from Labour" followed by "we inherited this mess from the Tories" some kind of consensus on the big stuff is needed and then the debate to be on what is the best way to fix it rather than all the squabbling over who is to blame and cheap points scoring. 

Nice idea in theory but impossible to implement 

Everything to do with the NHS or any of the other State provisions is intensely political

How do we fund it - put up taxes or privatise? Who makes the decisions will be political appointees etc 

The whole thing would be a mess

Nice idea in theory but impossible to implement

Everything to do with the NHS or any of the other State provisions is intensely political

How do we fund it - put up taxes or privatise? Who makes the decisions will be political appointees etc

The whole thing would be a mess

Didn’t the French do it with Rail? A 25 yr plan if I remember rightly. I’m sure some Skandi counties do it with education too.

After a fucking awful conference, Labour’s ‘brilliant’ conference a poll shows the Cons move closer to Labour. Lab 42, Cons 40.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/10/06/voting-intention-conservatives-40-labour-42-4-5-oc/

That'll be the Tories state-interventionist announcements on the housing and energy markets bearing fruit.

It's funny to see people supporting a party that announces measures that they decried as Marxist when Miliband proposed them only two years ago. What do we take from that? Have Tories gone Marxist, or are they tribalists that have no principles beyond staying in power for powers sake? Or were they knowingly talking bollocks when they called Miliband a Marxist for proposing them in the first place?

That'll be the Tories state-interventionist announcements on the housing and energy markets bearing fruit.

It's funny to see people supporting a party that announces measures that they decried as Marxist when Miliband proposed them only two years ago. What do we take from that? Have Tories gone Marxist, or are they tribalists that have no principles beyond staying in power for powers sake? Or were they knowingly talking bollocks when they called Miliband a Marxist for proposing them in the first place?

You honestly think anyone listened to or took any note from that speech?

You honestly think anyone listened to or took any note from that speech?

of course not, I was being facetious. That cough (and the sympathy vote it garnered) was her saving grace. It completely overshadowed the substance of the speech - which would've have right-wing pundits up in arms in normal circumstances.

There's no getting away from the point I made though, that the Tories under May are all over the place ideologically (as well as politically). compare her rhetoric in interviews with her polices and practices:

Free market! But let's intervene in the energy and housing markets.

Free market! But let's cap the number of immigrants to restrict employers choice to recruit employees.

Privatised industries are more efficient than publicly run ones! Even when our privatised services are owned or subsidised by states overseas.

I'm not in favour of the free market like May and most Tories claim they are, but if I were I'd be wondering how the fuck I square my support for that with my support for the Tories right now. And, once those Strepsils kick in and the pity her vote wears off, they might be wondering that for themselves.

Exactly as The Skwawkbox called it.

https://skwawkbox.org/2017/10/07/yougov-shows-tory-post-conf-bounce-as-predicted-data-partially-before-speech/

On Wednesday the SKWAWKBOX flagged that no post-conference polling was published after Labour’s conference in Brighton and predicted that polling would be published after the Tories’ Manchester event.

The absence of polling would allow the media to play up the routine ‘bounce’ that the Tories would receive after their conference while ignoring Labour’s similar or greater post-conference polling benefit.

As predicted, YouGov’s ‘voting intention’ polling was published after the Conservatives’ conference in Manchester and it showed exactly the 2% swing in favour of the Tories that this blog predicted – though the party was still behind Labour:

It’s worth noting that a significant part of the sampling was conducted before Theresa May’s ‘car crash’ conference-closing speech. It’s hard to imagine the speech having anything but an adverse impact on her and her party’s rating – and its disastrous nature will have thrown a big spanner in any media plans to make much of the polling.

Here's a link to their prediction.

https://skwawkbox.org/2017/10/04/the-latest-anti-corbyn-media-trick-to-watch-out-for/

The Tory conference closes tomorrow – and it’s a safe bet that the media will publish polls after Theresa May’s speech which may show a Tory bounce of around 2%.

They will then obfuscate – omitting from analysis the fact that the bounce is a temporary effect of the media’s own positive coverage of Theresa May’s speech.

This will be designed to allow Corbyn’s internal opponents to risk being a little less quiet – which will allow the press to churn out a round of anti-Corbyn articles.. This in turn is designed to let the Tories claim that they came out of conference strongly – which will be an unmitigated lie.

Brexit is the factor that can tilt the two party system we've returned to. It's entirely possible it will split the Tory party and/or turn a significant proportion of voters against if it turns out to be a disaster. That's more likely for me to bring a Labour government rather than anything Corbyn can do from here.

The worst choice May has made to date was to immediately own Brexit. It's all on the Tories now.

Another act of illegality by the May/Tory government and yet another lost court challenge.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/oct/10/torture-victims-were-wrongly-imprisoned-in-uk-high-court-rules?CMP=fb_gu

Irrespective of one's political leanings, surely a basic requirement of the government you want is that it acts in accordance with the law? This appears to not be happening in increasing frequency under the current Tory lot.