You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton (A) - 3pm, 19/11/16 - Feasting on Solent Green.

Trumo

Guest Pistonbroke

I saw that mate.

Interestingly, Van Dijk was fastest for Saints.

Indeed, I was surprised at that myself, could be wrong but I think he was also 2nd fastest overall. 

That's a good argument for starting Firmino over Sturridge, making up an unrealistic scenario where all of a sudden Sturridge just doesn't get into goal scoring positions any more is a bit stupid though.

TBH mate - there is no bad argument for starting Firmino over Sturridge -- some might be better than others but all end up with the same conclusion.

TBH mate - there is no bad argument for starting Firmino over Sturridge -- some might be better than others but all end up with the same conclusion.

Firmino isn't clinical enough in front of goal is one off the top of my head. We would've won with Sturridge leading the line. He created our best chance of the night with that superb cross that Clyne should've scored from.

Edit: the second best.. as Firmino scuffed the best chance of the game.

Firmino isn't clinical enough in front of goal is one off the top of my head. We would've won with Sturridge leading the line. He created our best chance of the night with that superb cross that Clyne should've scored from.

Edit: the second best.. as Firmino scuffed the best chance of the game.

Sturridge hasn't scored in the league and has started in two out of the three worst attacking performances we've had this season. To hypothetically state that we would have been better with him starting yesterday, despite the fact that with him being mostly on the bench we've been one of the best attacking teams in Europe is nonsensical.

Sturridge hasn't scored in the league this season and has started in two out of the three worst results we've had this season. To hypothetically state that we would have been better with him starting yesterday, despite the fact that with him being mostly on the bench we've been one of the best attacking teams in Europe is nonsensical.

He started in three of our best games of this season, against Leicester, the current table toppers Chelsea, and Spurs. His cameo against Watford, he was absolutely brilliant too.

He started in three of our best games of this season, against Leicester, the current table toppers Chelsea, and Spurs. His cameo against Watford, he was absolutely brilliant too.

I know you love, love, love Danny boy but let's be honest, we've been better without him this season. That's not really debatable. 

German coverage showed a stat during yesterday's game about the fastest sprinters on each team. Firmino was fastest for us and indeed both teams, second for us was Mane and third was Clyne. Not sure if that was overall or just for yesterdays game. Sturridge would struggle massively to keep up what Firminho and Mane bring to the table for half the time they do it. 

I saw that mate.

Interestingly, Van Dijk was fastest for Saints.

Speed and control running with the ball from 0-10 yards is more important and nobody beats Mané on that front. 

In the couple of sprints where Van Dijk got the better of Mane he had a positional advantage. Van Dijk is a very good defender - good in the air, strong, fast... but Mane is definitely faster. But as with most good defenders they can position themselves to make sure they win most duels that come up.

Mane is excellent over the first 10 yards, as has been said. His lateral speed is incredible too, and he moves quickly on the turn, in all directions, with the ball. Once you get into a flat out sprint in a straight line, depending on how long that's for, there are a number of quick players around and it all starts to even out among the quick players.

Mane is excellent at keeping defenders slightly off balance. The angles he runs at tend to open up space and that's been a factor to our attacking form this season.