You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez vs Aguero

Baltar

Suarez or Aguero  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who's better?

Years ago I think Rafa tried to get Aguero from South America but he was seen as too expensive for a teenager. Can't remember exactly, but there may have been work permit issues too at that stage in his career.

Aguero would have been a cracking player for us. He is a very good finisher and he's fast and strong too. The big downside has been the injuries. It's a bit like Owen once the old hamstrings went twang, although Aguero hasn't completely fallen apart like Owen.

Anyhow, at the time I voted in the poll it was 51-0.

Suarez is the better player, definitely. Go back say three years and it might have been a bit closer, but Suarez just seems to keep getting better and better. I think there's a decent case to be made to say that he's the best in the world, especially the last year or two.

It was close before Suarez went to Barcelona and started knocking in 50 a season. You could make the case Aguero would do the same in that team but that's guesswork at the end of the day.

Not sure it was that close even then.

Swap Aguero for Suarez in our great 2013-14 season, City would have scored 120 league goals and set attacking records that will hold for all time.  Whereas we would have had a good season, scored 90, and finished 3rd or 4th.

Years ago I think Rafa tried to get Aguero from South America but he was seen as too expensive for a teenager. Can't remember exactly, but there may have been work permit issues too at that stage in his career.

Aguero would have been a cracking player for us. He is a very good finisher and he's fast and strong too. The big downside has been the injuries. It's a bit like Owen once the old hamstrings went twang, although Aguero hasn't completely fallen apart like Owen.

Anyhow, at the time I voted in the poll it was 51-0.

Suarez is the better player, definitely. Go back say three years and it might have been a bit closer, but Suarez just seems to keep getting better and better. I think there's a decent case to be made to say that he's the best in the world, especially the last year or two.

Do you think he has been injured much out of the ordinary? Just one season in his last eleven where he has played fewer than 30 league games.

He seems to have gotten a little slower fairly gradually without any substantial injuries.

There's literally no contest for me. Suarez everyday of the week.

Aguero is a goal scorer and that is it, he's a great goal scorer mind probably the best out and out number 9 in the world but he does little else. He's greedy, doesn't work that hard and constantly injured, the complete opposite of Suarez. Suarez makes people around him better not only by his all round game but with his movement that creates space for everyone else, Aguero only moves if it benefits him to get into a goal scoring position and that's not a criticism because If he had Aguero on the end of some of our attacking play this season we'd score about 8 a game.

If Suarez wasn't Suarez he'd have Ballon D'or by now plus 2 more PFA player of the year awards, that year he bit Ivanovic he was the best player in the league by a million miles, I think Bale won it? Whilst he did have a great season and singlehandedly won Tottenham a shit load of points Suarez was levels above him.

Lionel Messi is maybe the best player on the planet. Still if I could choose any player I wanted for my team I'd pick Suarez. Aguero, at the moment probably challenging Coutinho for best player in PL, isn't even close.

Here's some other poll suggestions:

Best defender:

Phil Babb or Alan Hansen

Best midfielder:

Salif Diao or Graeme Souness

Fastest man on earth:

Sean Dundee or Usain Bolt

• Upvote 1

Do you think he has been injured much out of the ordinary? Just one season in his last eleven where he has played fewer than 30 league games.

He seems to have gotten a little slower fairly gradually without any substantial injuries.

I stand corrected!

I've never thought Aguero was a sick note, but I had the impression he suffered from a fair few niggly injuries, which is often the case with a lot of muscular and quick players. Obviously he's not in the class of Suarez for staying fit, but it turns out Aguero doesn't miss as much football as I thought. Thanks for the correction.

Lionel Messi is maybe the best player on the planet. Still if I could choose any player I wanted for my team I'd pick Suarez. Aguero, at the moment probably challenging Coutinho for best player in PL, isn't even close.

Here's some other poll suggestions:

Best defender:

Phil Babb or Alan Hansen

Best midfielder:

Salif Diao or Graeme Souness

Fastest man on earth:

Sean Dundee or Usain Bolt

Easy

Hansen

Souness

Dundee