You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Maradona

Bjornebye

He's scored hundreds of goals in the last 10 years and won 5 European Cups. Nobody else bar Messi has ever done that.

So he can rightfully claim to be one of the best (probably second best player) of the last decade.

He is a supreme goalscorer. Like Romario before him.

He is up there but not quite as prolific as Puskas, Muller and Eusebio.

That's how I'd view him in the pantheon. For my own money he's an inferior player by far to pre-injury brazilian Ronaldo.

• Upvote 2

Messi, Maradona, Pele & Cruyff are all on a level above anybody else you care to mention.

Ignoring all the daft womanising and boozing stories, in terms of natural ability alone, George Best deserves to be spoken of in the same breath as the likes of Maradona, Pele and Cruyff. 

Beckenbaur would be on my list. It's so hard to pick a top 5.

Pele, diego and messi would be top 3.

Cruyff, Rivelino, Fachetti, beckenbaur and zidane next batch with brazilian ronaldo and portuguese ronaldo. The great goalies and defenders like Maldini never get a mention.

Agree with your top three in that order. I can't believe that anyone not recognizing Pele as one of the greats actually saw him ripping up World Cups at a time when international football was the epitome of football rather than just some tournament which is second rate compared to club football.

I'd be adding Best to your second group. Probably Kenny too. Neither of them got a decent chance to shine on the international stage.

• Upvote 1

Agree with your top three in that order. I can't believe that anyone not recognizing Pele as one of the greats actually saw him ripping up World Cups at a time when international football was the epitome of football rather than just some tournament which is second rate compared to club football.

I'd be adding Best to your second group. Probably Kenny too. Neither of them got a decent chance to shine on the international stage.

Very true about kenny and best. Come to think of it i would have gullit, van basten and platini up there. Platini would make my top ten with ease.

Very true about kenny and best. Come to think of it i would have gullit, van basten and platini up there. Platini would make my top ten with ease.

Platini's penchant for brown paper bags filled with money shouldn't disguise the fact that he was a magnificent player. The player Cantona couldn't hold a candle too. Boniek was not a bad player either and not many Polish players played for Juventus back then.

I reckon if scientists could design a player you'd end up with Ronaldo and if artists could you would end up with Messi.

I don't really believe in all this greatest of all time stuff or the best ever in any walk of life if it can be subjective based upon people likes or bias. Occasionally it's too hard to argue like with Phelps or someone it's universally just accepted like Michael Jordan

• Upvote 3

I've noticed a disturbing correlation between people who laud Ronaldo, and pro-bean on a breakfast mentality. It's like they want you to know they're deviant wrong'uns and will do everything they can to get the message out.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

People talk about natural ability to justify putting the Bests and Maradonas above professionals who didn't piss or snort it away, but it's a bullshit argument, because if you're talking about natural ability, Garrincha knocks them all into a cocked hat.

I reckon if scientists could design a player you'd end up with Ronaldo and if artists could you would end up with Messi.

I don't really believe in all this greatest of all time stuff or the best ever in any walk of life if it can be subjective based upon people likes or bias. Occasionally it's too hard to argue like with Phelps or someone it's universally just accepted like Michael Jordan

Ivan Drago to Rocky Bilbao.

Put original Ronaldo into the equation. He was so good, even after 3 Acl tears or was it only two ?. He lost a bit of pace and ate to much paella at Madrid, but still five kilos overweight ran past defenders at will. 

Damn fine striker.

• Upvote 1

does he fuck! him and Pele took the easy routes... Best belongs in the modern footy is rubbish thread... He took it easy so his lifestyle wasn't affected... San Jose Earthquakes, LA Aztecs etc etc

I’m talking natural ability alone, although Best did have 9 or 10 years at Manchester United and won a couple of league titles and the European Cup.

Born in Northern Ireland, he had limited opportunities to showcase his talent on the world stage. I believe he wanted to go to the 1982 World Cup, even if it was as a sub, but Billy Bingham, for whatever reason and probably rightly so (Best was 36 and had been an alcoholic for years), didn’t select him.

I’ve watched just as about as much footage of Best, including some full games, as I’ve been able to find, on vhs, dvd, etc. My Dad, on the other hand, has been watching us live since the fifties, so I’d like to think he knows a thing or two about football. He saw Best play live on numerous occasions and would even take himself off to Old Trafford, just to watch him. He rates Best, without a shadow of doubt, on natural alone, as being up there with the greatest players.

I’ll be honest, I don’t know why Pelé didn’t play club football in Europe, but he did of course perform to an extremely high standard at several World Cups.

Agree, mate. The reductive logic of the market has infiltrated everything, as Marx predicted it would.

• Upvote 2