You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nintendo Switch

Scott_M

http://Ninten.do/6184889Qg

Looks a good idea to me. I don't really have time to play games at home but if I could take a console with me travelling, I'd be all for it.

I like Nintendo games, they are fun to pick and play. The elongated PS4 & Xbox games bore me.

Not looked at the proper specs but assume they don't compare to a PS4 or XBox. Those graphics on Zelda loom similar to the Wii.

Wonder how long the batteries on the portable bit last?

It'll be another Nintendo console that falls between two stools.

They're pitching it primarily as a home console but it's unlikely to be powerful enough, and it'll be too bulky to be a hand held console.

Unless you're someone who has multiple bases and and buy multiple docks for it then you're not going to bother transporting it.

Apparently this has loads of 3rd Party support.

Yep. Always has been Nintendo's biggest fault. This time there's apparently around 50 developers already working on titles for the Switch (I still prefer NX as a name).

As you'd have seen from the preview trailer, Skyrim is already confirmed for the Switch.

While the full specs are unknown as yet, we do know that it'll be running on an Nvidia Tegra chipset, so for battery life when in portable mode, we can use the Nvidia Shield Tablet as a benchmark until full specs are released.

Unless you're someone who has multiple bases and and buy multiple docks for it then you're not going to bother transporting it.

What makes you think there won't a standalone adapter for charging on the go?  Pretty sure it'll have a plug (or just use a USB standard for charging like everything else) to allow people to travel with just the handheld portion.

For me it seems like a great shout for when I travel back across the country to see family, I think it looks great and I don't really care about graphics to an exceptional degree (especially since I have a PS4 if needed).  I think it looks ace (although I'll only use those breakapart controllers in extreme situations) - but price and launch lineup will determine whether and when I buy.

It'll be interesting to hear about it's online capabilities and how it will handle indie games, without serious support on those fronts it won't be a genuine competitor still, but I doubt it really has to be.

There will absolutely be a way to charge it outside of a dock. That wasn't what i meant with having multiple docks, it depends on what the functionality of the dock is and what the I/O of the non-docked unit will be.

Will the undocked unit have multiple connections to allow you to charge it and connect it to another tv without the need for a second dock (or the need to carry the dock with you) or once it's undocked is it solely a hand held console for example.

Looks good. Depending on price I'm interested in buying one. Haven't bought a "new" system since the Wii. I also still have my Gamecube on the go.

I know Nintendo recently (or recently announced) abolishing their separate handheld (i.e. DS) and home platform (i.e. WiiU) game production teams. I'm guessing now there'll be one mega games production team concentrating on the Switch. Considering how talented they are at making games, this could be a very good thing.

As you'd have seen from the preview trailer, Skyrim is already confirmed for the Switch.

Turns out it isn't, and the Skyrim you saw on the trailer was a superimposed image of the game.

No doubt it will in some form with Bethesda signed up but like always Nintendo will be under powered so we'll end up with scaled down versions of the game.

When Nintendo finally unveiled the Switch last week, it showed off the console running a mixture of upcoming titles like Breath of the Wild, as well as current Wii U games like Splatoon. The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim also got prominent placement (in its Enhanced Edition, no less), even though no one had ever mentioned that the five year-old game would ship for the Nintendo Switch and Bethesda hadn’t previously mentioned any kind of plan to bring the game to a new platform.

Yesterday, a Nintendo UK representative confirmed to Eurogamer that the games shown during the video were all inserted in post-production, not native titles or gameplay. The actors that were filmed as playing were working with dummy props, not actual equipment. While close analysis had indicated this was likely the case already, Nintendo still hadn’t confirmed it until now.

It's an odd approach for a console that's due out in 4-5 months.

Any footage of a game on an advert is superimposed...  filming a monitor is a guaranteed way to make something look shite.

They tend to be superimposed gameplay of the console they're advertising though whereas in this case...

Yesterday, a Nintendo UK representative confirmed to Eurogamer that the games shown during the video were all inserted in post-production, not native titles or gameplay

and betheda's take

We're happy to have had the opportunity to collaborate with Nintendo on the video. While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of the Switch. We look forward to revealing specific games and details in the future,"