You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nintendo Switch

Scott_M

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Another underwhelming Direct…

This Mario Kart thing has annoyed me. The Switch game is already a tarted up version of a 2014 Wii U game.

So really all they’ve done in 8 years is redesign some old courses & charged full price for Deluxe and then another £25 for some more target price up courses.

5 years since Mario Odyssey & BOTW1 (which in itself is a port), 8 years since anything original in Mario Kart, a Donkey Kong port, no Metroid Prime…. I know Nintendo like taking their time but fuck me.

I read the other day some Nintendo Executive saying the Switch is halfway through its lifecycle. Seems to me they are happy to let the Switch rumble on with minimal first party games and are already focusing on Switch 2 or whatever. 

Like a sucker, no doubt I’ll be buying the MK DLC.

I believe you can get it included in to higher online tier. Whether you keep it or not is another matter.

Don't know what more I'd want from Mario Kart that the current version doesn't have, so happy to see more courses coming. They should have been doing that for a while now.

Also, they have had a Metroid game and now two Kirby games this generation, both main tier Nintendo. Actually think the new Kirby looks like fun. 

10 hours ago, Pidge said:

Also, they have had a Metroid game and now two Kirby games this generation, both main tier Nintendo. Actually think the new Kirby looks like fun. 

Kirby is definitely a level or two below Mario and Zelda and Metroid Dread is something that could have been built for the SNES. 

A level, yeah, that's fair. On a par with Yoshi and DK. Kirby's adventure is the best game out of all three as well.

Metroid dread is a metroid game. When axiom verge, or whatever it was, everyone was saying "why can't Nintendo just do this?!".

They did.

10 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Kirby is definitely a level or two below Mario and Zelda and Metroid Dread is something that could have been built for the SNES. 

Metroid Dread for the Switch was a massive risk for Nintendo. They have traditionally not sold well at all so to spend fortunes on it's development and release should most definitely be applauded. How many large games publishers are willing to gamble on a title that traditionally doesn't sell well?

I'll be getting those extra Mario Kart tracks (might upgrade to the higher online pack, not sure). 

Will definitely be getting the Mario Strikers game and the Sports game. A good Direct for me.

I've been waiting for the next Wii Sports game, since I still play Wii Sports Resort (the Wii Motion Plus one) quite often. Surprised it's taken them this long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought a share of a family online membership with the expansion pass on a popular auction site. it cost about £12 for the year, and includes all the MarioKart tracks and Animal Crossing DLC. Works great and saves about £40 a year. 

PM me if you want the seller id.

• 2 weeks later...

I've ordered Switch Sports, really looking forward to it.

Also bought Animal Crossing for the eldest - hope she plays it more than Minecraft which was a massive waste of £20.

Also bought the new Mario Kart tracks, which are fun.

Got a huge backlog of games on the Switch. So I bought more! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 31/03/2022 at 16:10, markcd said:

I bought a share of a family online membership with the expansion pass on a popular auction site. it cost about £12 for the year, and includes all the MarioKart tracks and Animal Crossing DLC. Works great and saves about £40 a year. 

PM me if you want the seller id.

Hi mate. How does this work and can you keep all your game progress etc?

22 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Hi mate. How does this work and can you keep all your game progress etc?

yes. I just messaged the seller with my user id and he added it to the family share, so I just kept everything the same. Also get access to the N64 games - been playing loads of Mario Golf.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Mario Party Superstars is sound. The only problem is I’ve got a nine year old child who gets a proper face on whenever she gets beat. 

Mine is like that. I generally let her win the last game of Mario kart to keep her sweet. Sadly Mario party isn't one you can lose on purpose because of the algorithm 

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/06/2022 at 13:21, Paulie Dangerously said:

Mine is like that. I generally let her win the last game of Mario kart to keep her sweet. Sadly Mario party isn't one you can lose on purpose because of the algorithm 

One of my most impressive feats was managing to get my 5 year old to win a game of Mario Kart. 

Basically involved me being a ruthless enforcer smashing up every cunt I could find in order to make sure nobody overtook him. I was honestly sweating at the end of it, took an immense amount of concentration.