You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nintendo Switch

Scott_M

Got the new Mario Golf game today, it’s quite fun. 

Disappointed with the Nintendo E3 effort. Will probably get Zelda Skyward Sword and Mario Party Superstars (my daughter likes it), potentially Metroid Dread but that’s it. 

18 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Got the new Mario Golf game today, it’s quite fun. 

Disappointed with the Nintendo E3 effort. Will probably get Zelda Skyward Sword and Mario Party Superstars (my daughter likes it), potentially Metroid Dread but that’s it. 

Yeah very disappointing. No sign of a new Mario Kart - considering we're essentially playing the WiiU one. I've already got Skyward Sword on the Wii not buying it again. 

No F Zero. No Madden or NHL. 

Anyway, Alien Isolation is really good. Looks brilliant - must be one of the best looking games on the Switch. 

1 hour ago, Funkasy said:

Nintendo are some lazy bastards with some of their games, but who can blame them when old games are still making them a fortune just re releasing them on the switch. 

They certainly work at their own pace and have their own way of doing things. The Switch is great, but it could be better, especially after this many years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2021 at 12:26, johnsusername said:

Yeah very disappointing. No sign of a new Mario Kart - considering we're essentially playing the WiiU one. I've already got Skyward Sword on the Wii not buying it again. 

Breathe Into The Wild is essentially a WiiU game as well.

Even this is uninspiring…

8BEFA94B-85B9-4A53-82A7-E33ADFAAD3C3.png

On 28/06/2021 at 17:22, johnsusername said:

They certainly work at their own pace and have their own way of doing things. The Switch is great, but it could be better, especially after this many years.

Agreed. March 2017.

Apart from Mario Odessy, which is absolutely brilliant, has there been an original first party game?

I don’t count Pokemon, Pikimin or Animal Crossing.

I do wonder what the Switch’s lifespan will be. Sony and Microsoft’s machine tend to be around 7 years. Nintendo are 5/6. We’re already > 4 years in and a fairly uninspiring slate taking it to year 5. I wonder if something newer is afoot. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 04/08/2021 at 16:26, Captain Turdseye said:

Been smashing Luigi’s Mansion this afternoon. I say smashing, I made it through three floors. Don’t normally play Switch on my own but the game is good fun. I’ll be carrying on with it for sure. 

Even more fun to play with a kid if you have one, if not then try to borrow one from somewhere, ask the parents first though. 

• 1 month later...

Disappointing Direct last night. Will be interesting to see how much the N64 and Megadrive online is. Not sure I'll bother.

I can't believe the Switch is 4 years old and they still haven't put Gameboy or Gameboy Advance games on it. Fucking hell.

Nintendo are like FSG, tight bastards. 

Not much in the sale either, though I might get Resident Evils 0 and 1. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Looking forward to the GTA trilogy remaster. Never played San Andreas.

Received physical copy of Metroid Dread. Looking forward to giving that a blast. 

4 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Received physical copy of Metroid Dread. Looking forward to giving that a blast. 

Nice. I've never got into Metroid. I've got one for the Gameboy Advance, the GameCube and the Wii - I've always wanted to like them but they've never gelled for whatever reason.

Would love Rockstar to follow up with GTA 4 and 5 for the Switch, would love them portable. LA Noire works really well but isn't quite the same. 

I’m 4 years late to the party but took the plunge and ordered one of these today. The last console I bought was a GameCube. I took the mothballs off that and started playing it again a year ago with my 7 year old daughter. That reignited my interest. I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a Switch for a while under the pretence that it’s for my kid.

Who am I kidding?! Can’t wait now! I’ve missed two whole generations of video games. Looking forward to getting reacquainted with it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Shitty Arse said:

I’m 4 years late to the party but took the plunge and ordered one of these today. The last console I bought was a GameCube. I took the mothballs off that and started playing it again a year ago with my 7 year old daughter. That reignited my interest. I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a Switch for a while under the pretence that it’s for my kid.

Who am I kidding?! Can’t wait now! I’ve missed two whole generations of video games. Looking forward to getting reacquainted with it.

Have you ordered the new OLED one or the original Switch? 

8 minutes ago, Shitty Arse said:

Portable grand theft auto would be a thing of beauty. 

Metroid is the only Nintendo game franchise I've never spent time playing. I know it's popular in Japan and has never sold particularly well around the world but I want to give it a try. 

2 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Have you ordered the new OLED one or the original Switch? 

As it’s my first one I had to get the OLED one!

It looks sexy as fuck. I’ve already ordered Mario Odyssey and my little girl has asked for Animal Crossing so I’ve got that. Will get BOTW and Mario Kart as well. I’m quite old skool so I still can’t get my head around not owning the physical copies of the games!! I’m excited about the whole online element to buying and owning games these days. It looks as though I’ll have access to the entire SNES and NES back catalogue as well which will be fucking boss. When I’ve sussed out what I need to do!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, No2 said:

My young lad has asked for 2 extra controller's for his switch so he can have 4 players at once. Any one know if Santa needs anything other than the extra controllers to make it work?

Nah, just the joy cons. 

We bought some some ‘unofficial’ ones that are a bit chunkier and easier to play with. The downside is that they don’t fit into the controller thingamajig that turns your joy cons into one pad. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/10/2021 at 21:52, Shitty Arse said:

It looks as though I’ll have access to the entire SNES and NES back catalogue as well which will be fucking boss.

Is it a full catalogue, I know they've been releasing new games here and there but thought it was still a relatively small selection of games.

I have a switch but was looking to get an Anbernic or a Retroid Pocket for NES/SNES, Game Boy (and Advance), Neo Geo, Sega Genesis/Megadrive, N64, PS1 and PSP emulation. 

• 2 weeks later...