You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nintendo Switch

Scott_M

15 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Could be 2 + 2 = 5 but...

Yeah maybe. We'll see!

Plenty of life in the Switch for a few years yet I think. The sales figures in Japan are nuts. I'm looking forward to BOTW 2 and might bite the bullet for that. Interesting to see what Nintendo can grind out of the Switch after a few years experience programming for it. 

44 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Yeah maybe. We'll see!

Plenty of life in the Switch for a few years yet I think. The sales figures in Japan are nuts. I'm looking forward to BOTW 2 and might bite the bullet for that. Interesting to see what Nintendo can grind out of the Switch after a few years experience programming for it. 

Even if they upgrade the Switch, it won't take over the existing one. Nintendo learned heavily from their mistake on the Wii U and their chairman at the time admitted that they could and should have extended the life of the Wii. Releasing the Wii U was

a) too early for the Wii resulting in killing it off way too soon and

b) too early for the technology available as the Switch is what they had a vison of but they couldn't do it.

It's also important to note that the Switch is actually underclocked so that is doesn't overheat and it extends the battery life of the handheld mode. Therefore it would be capable of more if it could be clocked up but the battery would lose it's extended life in handheld and the onboard fan would have to be improved to keep it cool.

Looking at what Nintendo did with the Nintedo Switch Lite - this is a dedicated handheld console. Extended battery life, easy to keep cool as a result of underclocking (although I've noticed it does get hot with graphically intense games like Abzu).

Nintendo Switch - this can double up as a handheld as well as a desktop console. The base unit needs to stay underclocked to keep it cool and extend battery life in handheld mode. This means the desktop console is slightly compromised as it wouldn't need to have an extended battery life as it's constantly charged. But the fan needs to keep it cool in both modes.

I would therefore imagine the Nintendo Switch Pro (naming convention would cheekily be Heavy or Alumium as a heavy metal) - this would either be clocked to the max or even overclocked, possibly a more powerful CPU/GPU that can be used in docked mode and a bigger fan to keep it cooler with the increased loads. Possibly sacrificing the handheld mode or being able to underclock in handheld mode with a bigger screen.

I can't see Nintendo making the Switch redundant, it's professional suicide and they've done that too many times in the past. Nintendo have always been the pioneers in their field, but they can afford to be brave without losing their hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Monster hunter rise is released on 26th March, being touted as the best game on Switch since Breath of the Wild. Strong praise, available at www.shopto.net for £34.85 instead of £49.99. If it really is that good, this could go up in price after release as it could sell by the bucket load. 

Bought my grandson Luigi’s mansion this afternoon and it’s crap. Can you take games back for refunds? I’m still having flashbacks of getting refused taking back spectrum games to the shop on lime street back in the day. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Red74 said:

Bought my grandson Luigi’s mansion this afternoon and it’s crap. Can you take games back for refunds? I’m still having flashbacks of getting refused taking back spectrum games to the shop on lime street back in the day. 

Rep for Lime street shop, the guy in there was the template for Ned Flanders.

46 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Rep for Lime street shop, the guy in there was the template for Ned Flanders.

Was the shop called bits n’ bytes?

I remember one of them getting arsey with me when I was asking for a back up board for my c64. I was about 10 years old and this righteous cunts giving me lessons on morality. Probably trying to groom me but I was too angry to notice

3 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Was the shop called bits n’ bytes?

I remember one of them getting arsey with me when I was asking for a back up board for my c64. I was about 10 years old and this righteous cunts giving me lessons on morality. Probably trying to groom me but I was too angry to notice

Bits and Bytes was Central Station - it's been the Leather Shop ever since. Half the games from there never worked (although I think that was just the tech of the time).  But whenever I walk past I do reminisce! 

33 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Lasted 3 games with a combined total of about 90 seconds before I was killed. Uninstalled. 

This is probably the least surprising post in the existence of this website.

On 23/03/2021 at 18:05, Shooter in the Motor said:

Monster hunter rise is released on 26th March, being touted as the best game on Switch since Breath of the Wild. Strong praise, available at www.shopto.net for £34.85 instead of £49.99. If it really is that good, this could go up in price after release as it could sell by the bucket load. 

Yeah it's getting great reviews across the board. I'm not sure it's for me but it does sound good. 

On 27/03/2021 at 19:58, Red74 said:

How far into it did you get? I played it with my lad and I thought it was decent, it does take a little bit before it gets going properly though. 

Nearly at the end of Resident Evil Revelations 2 on the Switch, and have really enjoyed it. I remember getting the original RE on the PS1 and it was wild coming from a SNES. Have some of the others (and still own several GameCube versions) but tempted to go for Zero and RE remake.

Have played this one mostly handheld - in fact, I don't think I've played it on 

image.png

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Decent sale on the e store (not that I can download anything after the system update fuck up).

Can you not roll it back?