You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Aberfan

Priory Doctor

Was nearly 10 at the time. Nothing was said at our school about it so the first I heard was when I got home after 4 to find the tv on. That was unusual as tv didnt start until 5pm in those days.

I didnt know at the time but its disgusting that no one was held culpable for the disaster nor anyone sacked. No change there then. It was despicable that they expected the families to pay to get the other slagheaps removed and other such stuff. I gather it was not that long ago this money was 'repaid' to them enabling the memorial garden to be tidied up.

• 4 years later...
7 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Anniversary of the disaster yesterday, I've got family who live not far from there and I try to get down to see them at this time, obviously not this year. 

Some eerie pictures in the following article.

https://www.businessinsider.com/haunting-photos-tragic-aberfan-disaster-1966-2019-11 

Out of all those, it's the picture of the mass grave that really hits you. The pain that town must have suffered, and still suffers I'd expect, must be terrible.

13 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Out of all those, it's the picture of the mass grave that really hits you. The pain that town must have suffered, and still suffers I'd expect, must be terrible.

Yeah it must be. The pictures also show the pain and bewilderment in peoples faces. I've been all around the south wales valleys but never to Aberfan, one thing that the people in neighbourhood towns tell me is how much the locals of Averfan still distrust outsiders and have a deep hatred of journalists, they fucking hate them with a passion. The similarities with Hillsborough and the lenths authorities go to pervert justice is stark. Shows the power even then of a media neither shy nor shamed to cast its filth.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2016/oct/17/aberfan-how-a-gullible-and-deferential-press-failed-the-victims

• Upvote 2

I was only 3 when it happened so have no recollection of it, but I remember a lesson in high school, must have been around the 10th anniversary where we read about and discussed it.

The teacher pulled no punches.

At the start of the lesson we were typical 13 year olds, laughing, joking, everything is funny.

We left that lesson in a totally different mood.

Quiet and sombre.

An absolutely awful and entirely preventable tragedy.

In regards to compensation, Wales' charity commission considered asking parents "exactly how close were you to your child?" It was looking to refuse compensation for those who weren't deemed close enough to their children. But the question was never asked. The commission ended up providing about $645 to each family, because it was advised anymore would ruin the lives of the working class people, who wouldn't be used to large sums of money.

Some things never change. Patronizing cunts

2 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

In regards to compensation, Wales' charity commission considered asking parents "exactly how close were you to your child?" It was looking to refuse compensation for those who weren't deemed close enough to their children. But the question was never asked. The commission ended up providing about $645 to each family, because it was advised anymore would ruin the lives of the working class people, who wouldn't be used to large sums of money.

Yeah I agree with every word. 

Some astonishing stories, the fathers rescuing kids from the mud whilst possibly pushing other children (possibly  their own) down. Awful stories. The man who sung in a world renowned choir who taught his daughter music and spent the rest of days looking at the space in the house where he taught his dead daughter the piano. Heartbreaking stories. It's such a geographical beautiful part of world as well. They used to say say if you ever drive into the Rhondda valley time it at 9-10 in the morning to here children singing songs of joy and wonder or 7-9 in night to here choirs singing songs of sin and redemption. The song them kids were singing that morning before the slag heap fell was 'all things bright and beautiful. What can you say?

Edit. Apparently the hyme "all things bright and beautiful' was written a little more than a few miles away in the Usk valley.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

An old mate who I havnt heard off for ages just sent me this shortv link out of the blue. He lives not far from Aberfan.

I dont know what to make of it really, its uplifting but painfully sad at the same time.

That's nice, it's good those younger volunteers are involved and kids in the future will be aware of what happened. 

• 9 months later...
On 22/10/2020 at 15:54, Evelyn Tentions said:

That's just fucking outrageous.

• 11 months later...