Sign in to follow this  
stevkar

Wi-Fi repeater

Looking for some advice,  Recently upgraded to sky fibre which downstairs is excellent but upstairs my wifi is patchy.  Got a 300 mbs repeater upstairs in the hall but not really helping.  Seen this on argos and was wondering if anyoner has any knowledge on this and could steer me on this one

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5742734.htm#specialoffers

price seems very reasonable but perhaps it cheap for a reason

Thanks in advance

I was looking at these recently too.  Having spoken to one or two people it seems that the performance is down to the quality of your electrical cabling.  If you have old cabling (like me), it's liable to be shit.  They seem to be a bit hit or miss, TalkTalk gave my Mum a set recently so she could plug her new FreeView box (downstairs) into her router (upstairs), and hers works fine. 

The alternative to that being to run a CAT5 cable from your router to a point upstairs and use a WAP or an old router to improve your WiFi signal.

Looking for some advice,  Recently upgraded to sky fibre which downstairs is excellent but upstairs my wifi is patchy.  Got a 300 mbs repeater upstairs in the hall but not really helping.  Seen this on argos and was wondering if anyoner has any knowledge on this and could steer me on this one

http://www.argos.co....m#specialoffers

price seems very reasonable but perhaps it cheap for a reason

Thanks in advance

It was for my son's xbox console for the internet it was fine but he kept on losing connection when playing online games.  This is highly recommended guys no lag and speeds are constant now. 

Thanks for the info

I've never got WiFi extenders working in my house. I see Google are about to release Google WiFi (initially in the US), which is a mesh system and is meant to be easy to set up from a positioning perspective. I'm going to wait until they're available to buy in the UK I think.