You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"What did you make of John Henry's comments on Anfield redevelopment?"

tlw content

I have no clue about the finances required to invest in further stadium development but it seems plausible that further investment is difficult without price increases in line with the US sports model. The return may take too long and present too much of a risk to the FSG group - I can understand that. 

This, however, is  political manoeuvring, pure and simple. There is no need to talk about the issue all - he was not asked the question  as far as I know - and the fact that Ayre has piped up similarly in recent days is revealing. They are speaking on this issue for a reason and, knowing how emotive and potentially divisive the issue is among supporters, the only reason can be to generate division and hostility to those that wish to campaign on restricting ticket price increases. 

I appreciate what FSG have done for the club and I don't really care that it is done with an eye on the long-term $. The only alternatives to that model of ownership in this day and age are those with an eye on the short-term $, or those with so much $ that they don't give a fuck. They have built the new stand, they have brought us a top class manager, and we now - tentatively - have a team that is playing some excellent football and at a fraction of the cost of some of those around us.

All good. Thanks for that. But this does not give the right to FSG to play a cunt's trick like this. If you want to open discussion about ticketing, revenue and investment, then do it in the right way. Get on the plane, go to Liverpool and have that discussion with the supporters. Be open about revenue streams, be open about the limits on what we can earn without further price increases or increased income from other sources. Be open about the costs of investment and the trade off - if indeed there is one - between the need to raise more money and the funding of further ground development. We are a passionate, emotional group, and there may be disagreements, but we are not fools, If you are transparent, respectful and responsive, people will listen, trust you, and give you feedback.

This approach is the opposite. It is about closing down open discussion, diverting instead towards supporter v supporter foment. A divide and conquer strategy. It is ill conceived, poorly advised and will ultimately further erode trust between the support and the owners.

If we get the familiar pattern of backtrack and half apology, we should not accept it unless we get proper discussion on this point. In Liverpool, with the club's supporters. If you can't talk to them about it, then you really should shut up.

• Upvote 2

Whilst im not surprised at the private thoughts of the owners regarding the ARE.  Im very surprised that JH would choose to air those thoughts to the media.

Another massive PR own goal which after a great start to the season and renewed optimism surging through the club, drags everyone away from enjoying whats on the pitch to matters concerning greed off the pitch.

Mind you i cant say as im surprised as these are the people who like to turn up for cup finals or the opening of a new stand, but can't be arsed turning up for one of the greatest servants to the club final game.

Moreno will play for us again I'm confident

• Upvote 1

It's not so much what he means it's the snidey underhand comments with hidden meanings that piss me off, if your not going to improve the ARE just say so, just be fucking honest and say the money isn't there to recoup so were not doing it. To make the ticket price comment as some sort of side swipe to the protest last season is the work of a prick who thinks that we are all a bit stupid and will swallow his bullshit like Linda could swallow my cum.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately the long term erosion of affordable prices in football is a juggernaut that's only going to stop when it comes off the road fully.

My old fella went to every home and away in the 70s and 80s and was a season ticket holder with his brother and then me. We haven't been for about 5 years.  We were the type of fans they hate, didn't spend a penny in the ground.

Unfortunately they want spectators not supporters

I remember playing Watford away in 2000 and us being charged £32 a ticket and it was the most I'd ever seen, home or away, FA cup semis etc 

You'd bite someone's hand off for that now.

Whilst im not surprised at the private thoughts of the owners regarding the ARE. Im very surprised that JH would choose to air those thoughts to the media.

Another massive PR own goal which after a great start to the season and renewed optimism surging through the club, drags everyone away from enjoying whats on the pitch to matters concerning greed off the pitch.

Mind you i cant say as im surprised as these are the people who like to turn up for cup finals or the opening of a new stand, but can't be arsed turning up for one of the greatest servants to the club final game.

Agree. I thought that was out of order. They should have come over for his last game.

Well, because it was an investment rather than a charitable donation. I'm not sure why it comes as a massive surprise to anyone apart from NV that they are talking about not building the ARE extension. We don't have to like it, but it's not as though they've gone against type.

Was this meant as a reply to me, Stringers?

My "why?" was a response to analysis of current and future owners simply as a comparison to H+G.

A few other posters on here stated many moons ago that they never thought that FSG would extend the ARE, purely for financial reasons. I also thought the same. 

I believe they put forward the development of the ARE to counteract any possible negativity from extending the Main stand for corporate profits.

This is an attempt to step back from developing the ARE but rather than openly admit they are here only for the money, they are trying to shift the blame on to the fans. Typical cuntish behaviour from cunts. 

• Upvote 2

Mal just cited Godwin's Law on the Philippines President thread. I've just been on the Anfield thread on SSC and the resident crackpot Demolition Dan has suggested that defending FSG is like defending war crimes. They've made a fair few fuck ups over the years sure, but have some sense of perspective!

The PL caused this.

The money involved in the game has now reached such high proportions that it's no longer the middle-size trawlermen fishing the PL waters, it's now the factory ships, and there's no wastage.

When 'people' stop owning clubs, then it's down to a committee of very wealthy people to decide between them whether or not it's a good idea, FINANCIALLY, to do x, y, or z. And you can't say it is, not against the current backdrop of ticket prices being disputed, and not against the backdrop of neither of our home games so far being a total sell-out.

As you say, this is a bid to tart the club up so it's capable of attracting a massive sale price. And at some point we will be sold, probably to a Chinese bidder, and we'll be used to spread the 'China is powerful' message around the world. One would imagine we'd have our red kits but the badge and sponsor will be in yellow, and we'll have friendlies in Beijing each year.

Happy now?

I still say FSG are not going to sell a controlling interest to a Chinese investor .

Looks like they want outside investment to complete the ARE though, The latest expansion is to tart the ground up and demonstrate the potential for growth, The crap about the fans complaints over ticket prices have stopped the job is crass and stupid. We might be cash cows but we do realise when were are being fed bullshit

We've been up for sale in some form or other for over a year now, but there are no bids large enough to satisfy FSG's hunger for a good profit from their investment. It will come though and who knows what we'll end up with, probably another group with their own baggage.

Admittedly they're not quite as bad as the last lot and at least they've done something, but they really don't give a fuck about football, especially the genuine working class football fan, as demonstrated by the latest carefully planned comment by JH. Remember though that they are an experienced PR machine and everything that is said, is said with purpose. This comment was designed to attract debate. The end game might not be clear, but it will become evident with time.