You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Clinton V Trump

cloggypop

The thing that pisses me off the most about this election is that the 3rd parties could have a legitimate shot and all the "big two" can offer up are Gary Johnson and Jill Stein. Now I'll vote for Johnson, mainly because I cannot vote for any of the other 3, but he seems to be doing his best to look about as qualified as the local McDonald's cashier. Just goes over the top on really goofy, stupid shit such as sticking his tongue out whilst talking when asked about what he'd bring to the debates. It's like he's not even trying. Fucking unreal.

The R's and D's have been going down on eachother for years behind closed doors, so those two giving me these choices is to be expected. The Libertarian and Green Party both could've made some historic gains in this country, yet they're busy nominating people who make them look like they aren't really serious.

Say what you will about Ron or Rand Paul but either of them would make any of these on offer looks like the clueless cunts they are, and whatever happened to Kucinic on the left? I don't agree with a lot of his solutions but at least he's not a bent as fuck moron.

• Downvote 1

Always like to look at which celebs have had their brains removed and are backing Trump....Not surprised by seeing Hulk Hogan < Gary Busey and Jon Voight but I was disappointed to see Charlie Sheen on there.....I thought his arl fella was left wing, or maybe the drugs and hookers have too there toll..

http://www.historyfanatic.com/slideshows/50-celebs-who-support-donald-trump-for-president/

Proud to say I've never heard of at least half of the cunts.

The thing that pisses me off the most about this election is that the 3rd parties could have a legitimate shot and all the "big two" can offer up are Gary Johnson and Jill Stein. Now I'll vote for Johnson, mainly because I cannot vote for any of the other 3, but he seems to be doing his best to look about as qualified as the local McDonald's cashier. Just goes over the top on really goofy, stupid shit such as sticking his tongue out whilst talking when asked about what he'd bring to the debates. It's like he's not even trying. Fucking unreal.

The R's and D's have been going down on eachother for years behind closed doors, so those two giving me these choices is to be expected. The Libertarian and Green Party both could've made some historic gains in this country, yet they're busy nominating people who make them look like they aren't really serious.

Say what you will about Ron or Rand Paul but either of them would make any of these on offer looks like the clueless cunts they are, and whatever happened to Kucinic on the left? I don't agree with a lot of his solutions but at least he's not a bent as fuck moron.

You won't vote Green because Jill Stein isn't "serious" enough, but you're going to vote for a man who didn't know what, yes "what", not even where, but what Aleppo is.

I guess at least you aren't voting for Trump or Clinton..

• Upvote 1

On the Aleppo thing I'm going out on a limb here and saying that very few people knew anything about Aleppo was until the Johnson thing happened.

I certainly didn't and given the coverage afterwards it seems most media sources didn't really know a huge amount either. 

You didn't know Aleppo was a place? Or you didn't know Aleppo was a place in Syria? 

It's a city of about 2m people, not an obscure village, someone running to be president of the most powerful country in the world should know. What if he became president? (Obviously he isn't going to be). How does he deal with foreign policy when he hasn't actually heard of any of the cities in the Middle East? Actually, I doubt much would change.

You didn't know Aleppo was a place? Or you didn't know Aleppo was a place in Syria? 

It's a city of about 2m people, not an obscure village, someone running to be president of the most powerful country in the world should know. What if he became president? (Obviously he isn't going to be). How does he deal with foreign policy when he hasn't actually heard of any of the cities in the Middle East? Actually, I doubt much would change.

Had never even heard the word before.

Never come across it in any news report I'd seen or anything. While I agree somebody running for president should probably know this shit it's not like he was alone in not knowing.  There was also a huge spike in searches for Aleppo after this happened. I reckon very few people had heard of it. 

Had never even heard the word before.

Never come across it in any news report I'd seen or anything. While I agree somebody running for president should probably know this shit it's not like he was alone in not knowing.  There was also a huge spike in searches for Aleppo after this happened. I reckon very few people had heard of it. 

My post came across quite cunty, that wasn't my intention. Sorry. 

I just find it staggering, and scary, that a presidential candidate hasn't heard of one of the major cities in the most important region in the world when it comes to foreign policy.

You won't vote Green because Jill Stein isn't "serious" enough, but you're going to vote for a man who didn't know what, yes "what", not even where, but what Aleppo is.

I guess at least you aren't voting for Trump or Clinton..

To be fair for the people of Syria it's probably no bad thing that presidential nominees don't know where Aleppo is, it would reduce the risk of bombing them if it weren't for the stupid imperialist foreign policy establishment they have in the States.

Wasn't most of the bombing in Aleppo done by the regime forces?

On not knowing "what" it is, it is unbelievable from a candidate, and also NYT struggling to describe it accurately. Not knowing such details shows you haven't read any in-depth article, let alone report, or seen any news bulletin on Syria over the past 3 or 4 years. And when you remember that ISIS also operate there, it's actually mind blowing. You would be forgiven as a member of the public not to pay much attention, but for a presidential candidate, it's stunning. 

• Upvote 2

I absolutely hate the whole "Oh, he didn't know who/what X was, must be unqualified."

Look, Gary Johnson is unqualified for a whole host of reasons, the biggest being that he's a Libertarian.  But not knowing what a single city, not even the capital city, in war-torn Syria is not it.  If he's never heard of Egypt, then that's a problem.  If he doesn't know that the EU is in Europe, then yeah, you'd say he's uninformed.

But a politician's job is not to study up on all the tiny little details of who is running Senegal and what the biggest city in Yemen is.  It's to have a coherent policy for how to find out and how to deal with problems in those places when they crop up.  If you run the Red Cross in Syria, you need to know where Aleppo is.  If you are trying to negotiate an agreement between Russian and the USA coordinating Syria bombings, then you need to know where Aleppo is.  If you're just a guy running for president in the US, especially if you have zero chance of actually winning, then it doesn't even matter.  I'd be happy enough if the person could just establish that they were competent and had reasonable values for situations similar to Syria, and set the gotcha journalism aside.

You don't have to study tiny little details. Not knowing such details like Aleppo shows he is uninformed, it is impossible to have any clue on Syria and not learn, hear, pick up what Aleppo is in the process. Coherent policies are usually based on understanding of the situation, which is not possible without being informed on it. If there is a major crisis in Senegal which has been on front pages for years, how can you understand what is going on and not learn the name of the president in the process. I know Libertarians are for not meddling in other countries' affairs, but this was really taking the piss. I thought at first he was trying to prove some point by claiming not to know what Aleppo is.