You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bailiffs question

Moctezuma

If someone handed you an envelope in person informing you of court action, that man was a bailiff, or someone who works for the court, it wasn't a collection agent. The latter are impotent, that can't do anything except stand there and try and frighten you.

Collection agents, and agencies, often exaggerate their legal rights and impersonate bailiffs to put the shits up you. They can't do anything.

If you've been taken to court, your credit report is basically trashed, there's no harm in letting a judge adjudicate what you have to pay rather than a creditor.

The court never said shit all apart from giving me a ccj.

I remember the letter saying something along the lines of pay up or you will be taken to court and you will be given a ccj. This us a final demand.

Like i said earlier though it would have been a lot cheaper in the end to just pay up.

It did take me about 4 years of ignoring and not paying before they took me to court and when i did decide to pay it didnt take very long to pay.

You received a letter from a creditor which led to court action. Nothing to do with a collection agent. You've got confused about collection agents and bailiffs, which is easy to do because of all the threatening letters and legalese.

A collection agent can't take you to court, serve you, or anything else. They can knock on your door. That's it.

Eventually your creditor can take you to court, that's when bailiffs, who do have certain rights, including serving papers, get involved.

You received a letter from a creditor which led to court action. Nothing to do with a collection agent. You've got confused about collection agents and bailiffs, which is easy to do because of all the threatening letters and legalese.

A collection agent can't take you to court, serve you, or anything else. They can knock on your door. That's it.

Eventually your creditor can take you to court, that's when bailiffs, who do have certain rights, including serving papers, get involved.

I think they where from the debt collection agency who where dealing with the debt.

I also recall being charged for the privaledge of not having a final demand posted to me but they where good to their word and i got the ccj they promised.

I've got small claims court case in November for private parking fine (UKPS or something).  I had visitors pass waiting for me and fella slapped it on while I went to pick it up from office (parked by back door so it was about 1 minute).  Found hastily scribbled ticket and saw fella in van driving off and nearly hitting another car on the way out.

So I've been getting letters with my name spelled wrong for months which get increasingly threatening.  Ignored for ages. Got small claims court date all sorted now (it is legit, called court and checked, its for £90) and I'm working in town anyway so just gonna go and will be interesting afternoon.  They still haven't got my name right so I'm wondering how that will pan out for them.  Read loads of stuff on moneysupermarket about how company will just go for small claims settle and hope person backs out.  They pay £50 or something for the small claims court fee, and if neither defendant or claimant turns up, then it is awarded to claimant.  I'm only round the corner so will turn up and see what the fuss is all about.