You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea 1 Liverpool 2 (Sep 16 2016)

tlw content

chelseareport1.jpg

I’m not going to talk about that Burnley game anymore. Fair's fair, the lads have won at Arsenal and Chelsea, drew at Spurs (and were the better side) and battered Leicester. So despite the loss at Turf Moor I’d say they’re now ahead of the curve in terms of how many points we had a right to expect them to get. They’ve redeemed themselves... for now.

While it’s perfectly natural to ruefully look back and think “imagine where we’d be if we’d beaten fucking Burnley”, I’m not going to do it anymore. Not now anyway, if we miss out on the title by a point or two I can’t promise anything, but for the time being I’m going to shut up about it. If they do something similar against some other bum team, then it’s fair to bring it up again, but for now it’s best forgotten.

When you drop a bollock like we did in that game it puts pressure on you to then go and get those points back by winning one you’re not necessarily supposed to. By going to Chelsea and winning they’ve done that and all credit to them, especially as they did it without the man who had been the catalyst for taking Leicester apart last week.   

The news that Firmino wouldn’t play was disappointing and knocked some of the confidence I’d been feeling before the game (I’m always confident when we’re playing good teams), but it spared Klopp from having to make a difficult decision. Would he have gone with Coutinho or Sturridge? All week I’d been expecting him to go with Coutinho, but on the day of the game I had a sneaky feeling he’d stick with what worked against Leicester. We’ll probably never know what he would have done now, but it’s irrelevant anyway.

The players were right at this one from the very start. Confidence is obviously high and so it should be given how they played last week. We got on top of Chelsea straight away and it was encouraging to see. Maybe that was partly on how Chelsea approached the game, I’ve seen it suggested that they sat off and let us have it, and perhaps they did. It’s a tactic that often works as it’s usually only a matter of time before we make a daft mistake. 

So it’s certainly possible that Chelsea deliberately played like that, or perhaps we were just much better than them? It’s becoming a recurring theme now, any time we make good teams look bad the focus is as much on what they’re doing wrong as it is on how impressive we’ve been. It can’t always be them though, surely? We’re just not that lucky to keep walking into teams on their off days. It’s happened too often to be a co-incidence. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a one month FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for one month. 

• Upvote 2

I don't know how anyone can say the defence is doing well to be honest, there is only stoke, watford, West ham and Bournemouth who have conceded more then us and 3 of those are in the bottom 4. You can almost guarantee we will concede against most teams we play at the minute.

I hope Karius returning will change that but it's a big ask. We can't go through the season conceding that many again and expect a high league position at the end.

Yea Henderson never tracked the runner Friday but you can't attribute all 8 goals to the midfield. The defence have to take a portion of the blame whether they get exposed or not.

It's their job first and foremost to stop goals. Don't get me wrong Matip looks like a snip I just don't see how they can be seen to be doing 'very good' when we're shipping goals again. Everyone knew the midfield would be weak and wasn't addressed in the summer so that shouldn't come as a surprise really

Just can't see where a clean sheet is coming from - even against Leicester whilst totally dominant a brain fart gifted them a goal.

We look boss in attack and look capable of ripping teams to bits - but that is countered by our defence...somebody said on another thread earlier that we don't give up many chances and i tend to agree but the chances we do give up seem to nearly always lead to a goal and for me that is because most of the chances we give up are gilt edged - Mig gets a lot of stick for not saving enough but how many of the goals we have already shipped this season could he really have saved?

Can't really see it changing so strap in for a rollercoaster ride again - i reckon we will ship around 50 again.

Just can't see where a clean sheet is coming from - even against Leicester whilst totally dominant a brain fart gifted them a goal.

We look boss in attack and look capable of ripping teams to bits - but that is countered by our defence...somebody said on another thread earlier that we don't give up many chances and i tend to agree but the chances we do give up seem to nearly always lead to a goal and for me that is because most of the chances we give up are gilt edged - Mig gets a lot of stick for not saving enough but how many of the goals we have already shipped this season could he really have saved?

Can't really see it changing so strap in for a rollercoaster ride again - i reckon we will ship around 50 again.

What does that say about Klopp?

I see carra phoned into talksport the other night because cunty was calling him Brendan Klopp.

It's the kind of thing you find out when you bin them off for someone competent.

• Upvote 2

I disagree this is anything like the rollercoaster season.

At the Emirates Arsenal came from 1-4 to 3-4, had all the momentum and 20 mins to go on the clock. In the Buzz season the only way we could’ve won was by scoring more, winning 5-4 or something.

At the bridge Chelsea threw all they had on us and made it 1-2 with 30 mins left to play. Do you really believe the score would still be 1-2 at the final whistle?

The good thing about this team is the resilience, calmness and steel they show us when being under pressure. Both at the Emirates and the bridge, not only did we keep the result, we almost kept them from creating any chances.

OK, we have given away too many goals this season, but it’s been difficult fixtures, but we’ll fix that.

In fact our defense and our ability to hold on to a lead is the one thing that makes me think we might just possibly fight for no. 19 this year. 

• Upvote 1

We ve conceded 8 in 5 games. At this rate we'll have over 40 in our goals against.

But that's OK cos we'll score 120

5 of them away to the top 5-6 clubs in the league, You can't realistically expect clean sheets in any of those.

1 due to a personal error (which shouldn't even have stood)

2 away to Burnley.

Apart from the 2 at Burnley quite normal and OK.

8 in 5 games = app 60 in 38 games. But I think we'll probably end up somwhere between 30 and 40 this season. 

And we won't score 120, not even 100. If we score 80-90 we'll probably win the league.

I disagree this is anything like the rollercoaster season.

At the Emirates Arsenal came from 1-4 to 3-4, had all the momentum and 20 mins to go on the clock. In the Buzz season the only way we could’ve won was by scoring more, winning 5-4 or something.

At the bridge Chelsea threw all they had on us and made it 1-2 with 30 mins left to play. Do you really believe the score would still be 1-2 at the final whistle?

The good thing about this team is the resilience, calmness and steel they show us when being under pressure. Both at the Emirates and the bridge, not only did we keep the result, we almost kept them from creating any chances.

OK, we have given away too many goals this season, but it’s been difficult fixtures, but we’ll fix that.

In fact our defense and our ability to hold on to a lead is the one thing that makes me think we might just possibly fight for no. 19 this year. 

Resilience and steel are words I am not gonna start using to describe this team until they have shown they possess it frequently and when it really matters.

As for you not thinking this is a rollercoaster.....win at the emirates, lose at turf moor...

Won at plastic bridge - would you bet big money against us dropping points at home to hull?

I really hope I am wrong but it would just be so typical of us to do exactly that...

I don't know how anyone can say the defence is doing well to be honest, there is only stoke, watford, West ham and Bournemouth who have conceded more then us and 3 of those are in the bottom 4. You can almost guarantee we will concede against most teams we play at the minute.

I hope Karius returning will change that but it's a big ask. We can't go through the season conceding that many again and expect a high league position at the end.

Perhaps because, as Dave said in the article, sacrifices have to be made to play the style of football we are playing, I really don't care how many goals we concede if we still pick up points in the fixtures, are you going to complain if we win the league and concede more goals than most of the other teams ?? not likely.

Resilience and steel are words I am not gonna start using to describe this team until they have shown they possess it frequently and when it really matters.

As for you not thinking this is a rollercoaster.....win at the emirates, lose at turf moor...

Won at plastic bridge - would you bet big money against us dropping points at home to hull?

I really hope I am wrong but it would just be so typical of us to do exactly that...

Now is the big test I agree. Now wer'e going to see if the Burnley slip was a one off or not.

I do expect us to win comfortably against Hull. I'll be surprised if we don't win at least 2 of the next 3. 

As for resilience and steel I agree it takes more than two matches to make conclusion. We did play some good football in those two matches, but for me the way we held them at bay were the most positive. I said to a mate before the 2nd half against Chelsea: “Now, we’ll see if we’re mice or men”. It’s been men, not mice, so far.

Now is the big test I agree. Now wer'e going to see if the Burnley slip was a one off or not.

I do expect us to win comfortably against Hull. I'll be surprised if we don't win at least 2 of the next 3. 

As for resilience and steel I agree it takes more than two matches to make conclusion. We did play some good football in those two matches, but for me the way we held them at bay were the most positive. I said to a mate before the 2nd half against Chelsea: “Now, we’ll see if we’re mice or men”. It’s been men, not mice, so far.

Definitely positive signs, yes.

But we tend to start believing in this team in recent years only for them to go and shit themselves spectacularly when it really matters - I hope this side now can change that. I remember last season going to Southampton, we had been on a bit of a run and were looking good, belief was high talk of Top 4 had started again.... and we find ourselves 2-0 up and flying....before bang, crash we drove the car straight into a frigging tree....

A similar story so often down the years - 5 games into this season and with 3 excellent results, 1 good one and 1 terrible one it is too early for my money to start believing we have changed, these fuckers have let us down too often to earn that this soon........

Perhaps because, as Dave said in the article, sacrifices have to be made to play the style of football we are playing, I really don't care how many goals we concede if we still pick up points in the fixtures, are you going to complain if we win the league and concede more goals than most of the other teams ?? not likely.

If you think we could win the league conceding at the rate we are then good luck with that. The only time that came close was with suarez and sturridge scoring for fun, neither of which is going to happen again.

We tend to play better against the better teams so you can see why I'm worried. We've played one shite side and they beat us.

I'm ok with the start we've made after some hard fixtures but if we carry on conceding like we are then I can only see another long season. I hope I'm wrong though and it clicks once Karius is fit

Burnley was a total and utter fluke result, it happens, look at Barcelona the other week, losing to Alaves, we absolutely dominated everything in the game, if we played Bunrley 38 times this season we'd win at least 30 of the games.

I hope you are right, but we lose those kind of fixtures regularly - season in season out for years now - Our record against newly promoted sides is awful....Not just isolated results, really bad results year after year for years. It is almost a gift when winning promotion that you get a win v Liverpool as part of the promotion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I hope you are right, but we lose those kind of fixtures regularly - season in season out for years now - Our record against newly promoted sides is awful....Not just isolated results, really bad results year after year for years. It is almost a gift when winning promotion that you get a win v Liverpool as part of the promotion.

This. I'll not believe it was a fluke until we complete bumfuck a few teams in the bottom 3rd.

I am sure I read over the weekend that Arsenal are unbeaten in their last 35 or so games against promoted clubs. It is racking up the points against the bottom 12 teams that paves the way to the CL.

We did this and finished second in the league before being humiliated in the CL the next season. The art is in keeping on picking up the points regardless of the opposition.