You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joel Matip

aRdja

Van Dijk or Sule for me, to partner Matip.

Lovren has done a lot better lately though, apart from the obvious mistake yesterday. And it will be interesting to see how good Joe Gomez gets, and how quickly, as he could go to the top of the class himself. He was fast and had an old head on his shoulders when he made the breakthrough, and during his time out injured he has obviously been on the weights and added strength.

Gomez could be a shoe in at left back? Learn his trade there before the extra responsibility at centre back. Worked well for Carra,Markus Babbel was comfortable in both positions and even John Scales did a good job in a crisis too.

• Upvote 1

He was playing football before he joined us.

I'd heard that, but I didn't see him before he joined us, so I'd like to enjoy watching his performances for a few seasons before making a judgement.  It's looking promising, but it wasn't hard to improve on Skrtel, god bless him. 

In talks about extending his contract and "very happy at Liverpool".

Very good signing. Excellent business. You would have to think we'll sign another central defender when Sakho goes, whether we sign them in January or summer. The question at that point will be whether it will be a decent back up ala Klavan, or a really good player to probably usurp Lovren and form a partnership with Matip. My money is on Niklas Sule, as we were sniffing around him in summer.

As for Matip, great pace, great reading of the game, great composure, has an eye for a pass and is also much stronger than he looks, considering his slim frame. Keep it going lad, keep it going.

I'd heard that, but I didn't see him before he joined us, so I'd like to enjoy watching his performances for a few seasons before making a judgement.  It's looking promising, but it wasn't hard to improve on Skrtel, god bless him. 

That's fair enough. Other people did though, and I don't think they were all necessarily on the short bus.

He's clearly fucking good. Not convinced we've got his long term centre back partner at the club at the moment though.

That's fair enough. Other people did though, and I don't think they were all necessarily on the short bus.

He's clearly fucking good. Not convinced we've got his long term centre back partner at the club at the moment though.

we are some way off being perfect, but what we have might get us up there. If we finish top 3, we should be able to bring in the right players to improve us in key positions.