aRdja

Joel Matip

Matip is such a good player and it's cruel that he Is so injury prone. The best we can hope for is that he fit enough to play twenty or so games at a high level as he doesnt seem to need much of a settling in period when coming back from injury.

If he wasn't prone to injury, he'd be seen as the second best centre back in the league I think. 

On 17/07/2021 at 23:55, Barrington Womble said:

I love Mo getting pissed off at a goal in training. 

Mo's just jealous Matip scored the best goal of the session.

On 18/07/2021 at 06:06, Shooter in the Motor said:

You do understand how time works?

Depends on gravity . Clocks run slower when they're close to Allardyce.  Strange but true

• Upvote 1

On 18/07/2021 at 14:20, Street Preacher said:

Matip is such a good player and it's cruel that he Is so injury prone. The best we can hope for is that he fit enough to play twenty or so games at a high level as he doesnt seem to need much of a settling in period when coming back from injury.

If he wasn't prone to injury, he'd be seen as the second best centre back in the league I think. 

If he plays twenty games with Virgil next season, we have a brilliant chance of winning the league. As good as Gomez is and as good as Konate might be, Matip is world class when he is fit. They read each other's game so well.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, etho said:

I have a feeling Joe Gomez may be playing right back occasionally next season

As long as it is only very occasionally.  The drop off is too big.

24 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

As long as it is only very occasionally.  The drop off is too big.

Yeah Gomez at RB is an absolute liability in terms of the attacking threat that the role in our set up demands.

Bt commentary just claimed that we've only lost 1 of his last 40 starts.

Would need to see how many of them where with and without Van Dijk, but on the face of it, that's fucking ridiculous.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He's actually guiding Big Virge at times until VVD gets all his mojo back. Unreal performer,when fit.

At the end, when Virg fell over, I wasn't in the least bit worried, because Joel had this. 

I love him. We’ve got to find a way to keep him fit. Even if it’s a Paul McGrath reduced training schedule. 

Tell you what though. For such a gentleman he sure knows how to drop the F bomb. He was bollocking Trent & Hendo all that first half today for every drop in concentration. 

MOTM for me today 

• Upvote 3

One of the things we've done really well over the last few years is build a squad with the right mentality and character. Matip is a fine example of this. 

I remember last year a number of people were saying that we need to get him off the wage bill due to his injury record, however when he is fit he is right at the top of the best defenders in the league. 

• Upvote 1