Quantcast
Joel Matip - Page 30 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
aRdja

Joel Matip

Just now, The Golden Eel said:

Or sign another CB and keep him as a back-up/4th choice who can play about 20 games across all competitions in a season or whatever. 

What's the point of that when you can't rely on when he will be fit. Oh and paying 100k a week for that

13 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

What's the point of that when you can't rely on when he will be fit. Oh and paying 100k a week for that

That's kind of my point - we're not really relying on him being fit. His fitness is an obvious issue but he's not permanently injured, there will be times when he's fit during a season and he can be used. If we assume any other CB signing, which I don't expect this summer, will be a less experienced player, it's surely no bad thing to have someone like Matip in reserve. If we let him leave, we'll have to sign someone else anyway so even paying him £5 million a year until the end of his contract, while not exactly great value, isn't that outrageous. 

59 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

That's kind of my point - we're not really relying on him being fit. His fitness is an obvious issue but he's not permanently injured, there will be times when he's fit during a season and he can be used. If we assume any other CB signing, which I don't expect this summer, will be a less experienced player, it's surely no bad thing to have someone like Matip in reserve. If we let him leave, we'll have to sign someone else anyway so even paying him £5 million a year until the end of his contract, while not exactly great value, isn't that outrageous. 

I ger your point, but I disagree. Having squad players that can never be relied upon to stay fit is not a great idea imo.

I do see it wont be easy to replace him with a player of similar quality, but that’s what we should aim for. 

I wouldn't know what to do with Matip. I'm a huge fan, he's a quality player, but we're stuck between a rock and a hard place with him. Is he someone clubs would be willing to pay for next summer? Age 30, long contract, often injured. We're not gonna buy another CB this season because of squad harmony, but if he's injured most of the season again we'll be thin at the position. It's tough. 

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

If you havent played for a while, you're going to feel some stiffness after a game. Hopefully, it's just a precaution and he's told to grit his teeth and play on.

Is he a grit the teeth and play on kind of guy?

If that photo is real then knowing Joel's body he's going to be out for months, we all know it. I'm not one to panic normally but it's looking a bit grim at the moment. 

Fab and joe as CB I guess

1 minute ago, KMD7 said:

If that photo is real then knowing Joel's body he's going to be out for months, we all know it. I'm not one to panic normally but it's looking a bit grim at the moment. 

Fab and joe as CB I guess

Pretty sure it's real, it's actually a video. Obviously with the mask it's impossible to be sure it's him. 

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

Pretty sure it's real, it's actually a video. Obviously with the mask it's impossible to be sure it's him. 

Must be him alright Baz. 

Any official word on Thiago? 

It's quite something to scroll down a page of Matip's thread. Pick any page: At the top are old posts complaining he's still injured, in between a comment or two that he played well, followed almost immediately by rumours his legs have fallen off.

Repeat until the end of time.

He needs to be on a special regime like King was at Spurs. Wrap him in cottonwool. Don't play him twice a week.