You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joel Matip

aRdja

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/10/2019 at 12:41, etho said:

I think we can get away with Lovren against most, but our away game v man city last season was ridiculous.  2 incredible teams playing at such a high level, and Citys gameplan was clearly let Lovren have the ball, knowing hes a level below everyone else in the team. 

Gomez has to come in now surely

Yes and no. We obviously stand a decent chance with him in the team as well, but that’s cause of the general quality of the team, and our unmatched fighting spirit.

Lovren struggles against quick skilful players and is bullied in the air against the dross. He’s a liability.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Yes and no. We obviously stand a decent chance with him in the team as well, but that’s cause of the general quality of the team, and our unmatched fighting spirit.

Lovren struggles against quick skilful players and is bullied in the air against the dross. He’s a liability.

We’re in a very good place if Lovren’s a liability. We’ve won every game he’s played in this season. He didn’t play in the defeat to Napoli or the draw with Man United. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

We’re in a very good place if Lovren’s a liability. We’ve won every game he’s played in this season. He didn’t play in the defeat to Napoli or the draw with Man United. 

Agree. We’re in a good place. Absolutely unbelievable actually, and the way this team refuses to loose, even on an off day is fantastic.

But all teams have weaknesses and he’s one of ours. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Agree. We’re in a good place. Absolutely unbelievable actually, and the way this team refuses to loose, even on an off day is fantastic.

But all teams have weaknesses and he’s one of ours. 

I would say he is a liability. His distribution is ofter suicidal  and he definately disturbs the teams link up play from defence to attack.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Rep this guy please. I don’t know why some people are desperate to talk our players down. Lovren had a good game today. He got the highest ratings on the Echo and the Express. He’s no Virgil, but he’d start at all other top 6 teams as he’s a far better defender than David Luiz, Sokratis, Zouma, Stones, Fernandinho (at CB), Otamendi, Sanchez, Lindelöf.

10 hours ago, viRdjil said:

Rep this guy please. I don’t know why some people are desperate to talk our players down. Lovren had a good game today. He got the highest ratings on the Echo and the Express. He’s no Virgil, but he’d start at all other top 6 teams as he’s a far better defender than David Luiz, Sokratis, Zouma, Stones, Fernandinho (at CB), Otamendi, Sanchez, Lindelöf.

Luiz is now shit because he is alongside shitter defenders than he once was. Lovren benefits a lot from having a brilliant centre half alongside him too. To be fair,he is a much better option than Gomez at present given how Joe seems to have lost his mojo.

8 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Luiz is now shit because he is alongside shitter defenders than he once was. Lovren benefits a lot from having a brilliant centre half alongside him too. To be fair,he is a much better option than Gomez at present given how Joe seems to have lost his mojo.

Luiz has been an awful centre half for a long time now. Last I remember him having a good season was Conte’s first and even then he had protection from the two centre halfs on either side.

5 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Luiz has been an awful centre half for a long time now. Last I remember him having a good season was Conte’s first and even then he had protection from the two centre halfs on either side.

I don't disagree with you regarding Luiz,its just amazing how good playing alongside brilliant defenders can make you look.

Lovren is a decent defender. The problem for him is that at Liverpool, even if you make one bad mistake every six or seven games, anything else you do no matter how good is forgotten. He needs to be beside Virgil who directs him what to do. Joe is a bit like that too. Until the injury last season, I felt he was a shoe in to be a world class player for the next ten years. Now I am not so sure. 

Matip doesn't need that direction. He has his own footballing intelligence and as a pair, him and Virgil are the closest I have seen to Jocky and Lawro. It is a thing of beauty watching them defend together. I think I heard Denis Irwin on five live last year saying they are majestic together and that is how I see them. For me, Matip is the third best defender in the league, with Laporte just taking the runner up spot. I rate Laporte as a candidate for a world eleven so that is how good Joel is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Lovren is a decent defender. The problem for him is that at Liverpool, even if you make one bad mistake every six or seven games, anything else you do no matter how good is forgotten. He needs to be beside Virgil who directs him what to do. Joe is a bit like that too. Until the injury last season, I felt he was a shoe in to be a world class player for the next ten years. Now I am not so sure. 

Matip doesn't need that direction. He has his own footballing intelligence and as a pair, him and Virgil are the closest I have seen to Jocky and Lawro. It is a thing of beauty watching them defend together. I think I heard Denis Irwin on five live last year saying they are majestic together and that is how I see them. For me, Matip is the third best defender in the league, with Laporte just taking the runner up spot. I rate Laporte as a candidate for a world eleven so that is how good Joel is.

Good post, agree with that

3 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I remember watching the game down here focusing on Matip and Van Dyke who was playing for Southampton and thought they’re going to be good together , or they would be good playing alongside each other , as I’m pretty sure Van Dyke was on his way here amid all the goings on at the time.