You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joel Matip

aRdja

He's fucked the AFCON off hasn't he?

yes. says he will stay back.

“I would say at the moment I will be concentrating on Liverpool,” Matip told the Telegraph.

“It is a long time until January so you never know, but that is the idea.

“Last year I had injury problems. The extra games and travelling were going to make it harder for me. I had to listen to my body and it told me that the international week was the right time to have a break.

“I spoke with the Cameroon manager and he was not happy, but I have to do what is right to be 100% and make sure I am not injured again, especially at an important time in my career starting at Liverpool.

I saw that but if he gets called up and refuses to go to ACN, Cameroon can request FIFA to ban him playing for us so, Id say wait and see what happens in january.

Can he officially retire so he can't get called up or is it that he has to either go or not play for us if he doest want to go regardless of whether he retires or not?

100% not his fault for the goal. And I'd bet if Karius was in goal he'd have stopped it too. 4-5 of our players were shite for their goal.

Yeah going to ground with his hands behind his back and letting matic round him was great defending to add to the lack of midfield tracking back with matic and no one getting between Costa and the ball.

Matip had an excellent game but he played his part in high school musical defending for the goal.

He should never be facing Matic one on one though. That's on the players ahead of him.

Henderson in particular has gotten a free pass on that goal.  In my opinion it's about 60-70% on him.  

Watch it back, you'll see Lallana at least try to challenge Matip (unsuccessfully, he just bounces off).  Henderson on the other hand just lets him go completely through until he's one-on-one with Matip who's in huge trouble from the moment Matic gets into the box.  

Sure he goes to ground too early but last-ditch defending is very risky for a reason, he needed a midfielder to track Matic's run.  And Matic was on the ball, so that's not a lot to ask!  If a midfielder loses a runner who then receives the ball, at least you understand why they lost them.  If they're actually on the ball it's inexcusable to just let them run.

• Upvote 1

Henderson in particular has gotten a free pass on that goal. In my opinion it's about 60-70% on him.

Watch it back, you'll see Lallana at least try to challenge Matip (unsuccessfully, he just bounces off). Henderson on the other hand just lets him go completely through until he's one-on-one with Matip who's in huge trouble from the moment Matic gets into the box.

Sure he goes to ground too early but last-ditch defending is very risky for a reason, he needed a midfielder to track Matic's run. And Matic was on the ball, so that's not a lot to ask! If a midfielder loses a runner who then receives the ball, at least you understand why they lost them. If they're actually on the ball it's inexcusable to just let them run.

I haven't watched the replay but I thought it was Lallana who lost Matic?

Big Joel's been great so far but I'm still not 100% on him as a defender.

Watched him a lot last season for Schalke and there were several times where I thought he was a bit soft or lacking in concentration.

Conversely Matip's ball skills and forward play were quite incredible for a centre half. Reminds me a lot of Javi Martinez and that's no bad thing at all. Think he could do a great job as a traditional holding midfielder.

Excellent so far and on a free too ? No wonder Kloppo's glasses keep flying off.

£50 odd million for Stones and Matip on a free.

The game has gone money mental. 

Matip radiates coolness in defence, and he has that aerial presence too.

Hopefully there'll be no fitness issues, I can see him playing a huge part in the quest for defensive stability.  He'll be one of the first names on the teamsheet as long as he's available.

I don't believe we'll see a better bit of transfer business this season if he can sustain his current form.  A very canny signing by Klopp, he could prove to be very significant long term.

On a freebie too.

£50 odd million for Stones and Matip on a free.

The game has gone money mental. 

Matip radiates coolness in defence, and he has that aerial presence too.

Hopefully there'll be no fitness issues, I can see him playing a huge part in the quest for defensive stability.  He'll be one of the first names on the teamsheet as long as he's available.

I don't believe we'll see a better bit of transfer business this season if he can sustain his current form.  A very canny signing by Klopp, he could prove to be very significant long term.

On a freebie too.

I still think there must be a clause about City having a certain amount of England internationals in a sponsorship deal or something. When they lost Milner they over spent on Sterling, when Hart was being shipped out they did the same with Stones. It's the only way I can explain them signing Delph at all.

Matip looks goods though. I thought he might be a bit too lightweight, as his arms are twiglets and with his height I was getting flashbacks to Coates, but he seems to have acclimatised quickly. I was worried we'd lack a ball playing CB without Sakho too. 

I still think there must be a clause about City having a certain amount of England internationals in a sponsorship deal or something. When they lost Milner they over spent on Sterling, when Hart was being shipped out they did the same with Stones. It's the only way I can explain them signing Delph

I just googled the homegrown rule; every club in the league need to have at least eight 'home grown' players. That probably explains them transfers.

I just googled the homegrown rule; every club in the league need to have at least eight 'home grown' players. That probably explains them transfers.

Surely it would make more sense trying to develop some squad players using the academy than making some of your major signings fairly average English players?

Surely it would make more sense trying to develop some squad players using the academy than making some of your major signings fairly average English players?

Of course.. but in Stones and Sterling they have arguably the two best English talents at the moment.. they want a team full of stars, and have close to unlimited cash... i suppose maybe they just want to make sure that the eight homegrown spots in their squad are the best available? It's a case of, "We need a winger and we need an English player to fill the quota... who's the best we can buy right now who meet both criteria?". That's my guess.