Quantcast
Joel Matip - Page 2 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

Welcome to the new and improved TLW!

Some of you may experience issues logging in and will get an 'incorrect password' error. Don't worry, you haven't typed it in wrong and your password hasn't been changed. You will need to reset it though in order to log in. Click the reset password link and you will receive an email with your new temporary password. Once logged in, you need to choose a new password (or restore to your old one) otherwise you will be locked out again.

If you have an out of date email address linked to your account, then you won't receive the new password. If that's the case then you'll need to email me (dave @liverpoolway.co.uk) or send me a tweet @theliverpoolway and I'll update your password manually. 

Any other problems or questions just let me know.

Thanks

Dave

viRdjil

Joel Matip

He's fucked the AFCON off hasn't he?

yes. says he will stay back.

“I would say at the moment I will be concentrating on Liverpool,” Matip told the Telegraph.

“It is a long time until January so you never know, but that is the idea.

“Last year I had injury problems. The extra games and travelling were going to make it harder for me. I had to listen to my body and it told me that the international week was the right time to have a break.

“I spoke with the Cameroon manager and he was not happy, but I have to do what is right to be 100% and make sure I am not injured again, especially at an important time in my career starting at Liverpool.

I saw that but if he gets called up and refuses to go to ACN, Cameroon can request FIFA to ban him playing for us so, Id say wait and see what happens in january.

He was excellent, and their goal was a catalogue of errors. It certainly wasn't entirely his fault.

Yip Lallana Henderson Matip all at fault plus there were about 4 players around Costa and he still scored.

I saw that but if he gets called up and refuses to go to ACN, Cameroon can request FIFA to ban him playing for us so, Id say wait and see what happens in january.

Well their manager decided not to call him up for the past half a dozen games so I can't imagine any action from Cameroon being that successful.

Can he officially retire so he can't get called up or is it that he has to either go or not play for us if he doest want to go regardless of whether he retires or not?

We won he was boss, about sums it up for me. Reminds me of Alan Hansen, a lot to live up too but he has that sort of feel to him.

Good signing.

• Upvote 1

100% not his fault for the goal. And I'd bet if Karius was in goal he'd have stopped it too. 4-5 of our players were shite for their goal.

Yeah going to ground with his hands behind his back and letting matic round him was great defending to add to the lack of midfield tracking back with matic and no one getting between Costa and the ball.

Matip had an excellent game but he played his part in high school musical defending for the goal.

He should never be facing Matic one on one though. That's on the players ahead of him.

Henderson in particular has gotten a free pass on that goal.  In my opinion it's about 60-70% on him.  

Watch it back, you'll see Lallana at least try to challenge Matip (unsuccessfully, he just bounces off).  Henderson on the other hand just lets him go completely through until he's one-on-one with Matip who's in huge trouble from the moment Matic gets into the box.  

Sure he goes to ground too early but last-ditch defending is very risky for a reason, he needed a midfielder to track Matic's run.  And Matic was on the ball, so that's not a lot to ask!  If a midfielder loses a runner who then receives the ball, at least you understand why they lost them.  If they're actually on the ball it's inexcusable to just let them run.

• Upvote 2

Henderson in particular has gotten a free pass on that goal. In my opinion it's about 60-70% on him.

Watch it back, you'll see Lallana at least try to challenge Matip (unsuccessfully, he just bounces off). Henderson on the other hand just lets him go completely through until he's one-on-one with Matip who's in huge trouble from the moment Matic gets into the box.

Sure he goes to ground too early but last-ditch defending is very risky for a reason, he needed a midfielder to track Matic's run. And Matic was on the ball, so that's not a lot to ask! If a midfielder loses a runner who then receives the ball, at least you understand why they lost them. If they're actually on the ball it's inexcusable to just let them run.

I haven't watched the replay but I thought it was Lallana who lost Matic?

It feels good to have an excellent defender again, a player that when the ball is played into our area, I am confident he will deal with it. Looking great and he has a decent understanding with Lovren.

Big Joel's been great so far but I'm still not 100% on him as a defender.

Watched him a lot last season for Schalke and there were several times where I thought he was a bit soft or lacking in concentration.

Conversely Matip's ball skills and forward play were quite incredible for a centre half. Reminds me a lot of Javi Martinez and that's no bad thing at all. Think he could do a great job as a traditional holding midfielder.

Excellent so far and on a free too ? No wonder Kloppo's glasses keep flying off.

Agree with that CD. He's really good at a lot of stuff but could do with a sneaky bastard defender next to him for the odd occasion it's required.

Lovren is pretty similar for me. Prone to being out of position a bit.

£50 odd million for Stones and Matip on a free.

The game has gone money mental. 

Matip radiates coolness in defence, and he has that aerial presence too.

Hopefully there'll be no fitness issues, I can see him playing a huge part in the quest for defensive stability.  He'll be one of the first names on the teamsheet as long as he's available.

I don't believe we'll see a better bit of transfer business this season if he can sustain his current form.  A very canny signing by Klopp, he could prove to be very significant long term.

On a freebie too.

We won he was boss, about sums it up for me. Reminds me of Alan Hansen, a lot to live up too but he has that sort of feel to him.

Good signing.

Said that last night he has an air of confidence about him which can only be good for those around him looks a class act

£50 odd million for Stones and Matip on a free.

The game has gone money mental. 

Matip radiates coolness in defence, and he has that aerial presence too.

Hopefully there'll be no fitness issues, I can see him playing a huge part in the quest for defensive stability.  He'll be one of the first names on the teamsheet as long as he's available.

I don't believe we'll see a better bit of transfer business this season if he can sustain his current form.  A very canny signing by Klopp, he could prove to be very significant long term.

On a freebie too.

I still think there must be a clause about City having a certain amount of England internationals in a sponsorship deal or something. When they lost Milner they over spent on Sterling, when Hart was being shipped out they did the same with Stones. It's the only way I can explain them signing Delph at all.

Matip looks goods though. I thought he might be a bit too lightweight, as his arms are twiglets and with his height I was getting flashbacks to Coates, but he seems to have acclimatised quickly. I was worried we'd lack a ball playing CB without Sakho too. 

I still think there must be a clause about City having a certain amount of England internationals in a sponsorship deal or something. When they lost Milner they over spent on Sterling, when Hart was being shipped out they did the same with Stones. It's the only way I can explain them signing Delph

I just googled the homegrown rule; every club in the league need to have at least eight 'home grown' players. That probably explains them transfers.

You dont see many centre backs playing one twos to break into Chelseas box when 1-0 up!

I know! When I seen that I was buzzing. Says a lot about his confidence.

I just googled the homegrown rule; every club in the league need to have at least eight 'home grown' players. That probably explains them transfers.

Surely it would make more sense trying to develop some squad players using the academy than making some of your major signings fairly average English players?

Surely it would make more sense trying to develop some squad players using the academy than making some of your major signings fairly average English players?

Of course.. but in Stones and Sterling they have arguably the two best English talents at the moment.. they want a team full of stars, and have close to unlimited cash... i suppose maybe they just want to make sure that the eight homegrown spots in their squad are the best available? It's a case of, "We need a winger and we need an English player to fill the quota... who's the best we can buy right now who meet both criteria?". That's my guess.