You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joel Matip

aRdja

While id like to see Matip with a better partner. I do think the excuses being made are a joke. The mans judgement has been awful at times. Players run off him,his heading isn't dominant at all. And he has been csught under the ball multiple times.

Criminal for the 3rd.

You could argue that he should of got a shout from the withering spastic in goal, but to head a ball like that back into the danger area, across the face of your own goal and box, when he plainly had full site of everyone and knew he was the last man and all he had to do was simply duck and let the ball go, to curl out - beggars fucking belief.

The lad broke every rule in defending in one move. We could of gone in at half -time 2-1 with all to play for. we didn't because of his, Lovrens and that withering spastics inability to act like professional footballers.

I'd drop all 3 for the game on Saturday. Certainly give Ward a go. 

• Upvote 1

Can only give him the benefit of the doubt being dragged into the mess overseen by Mignolet and Lovren.

Senior club pro's.  If Matip was next to Carra or Hyypia, with Reina behind them, it's very likely he'd be a good CB.

Mignolet should be shouting 'LEAVE IT' rather than Matip thinking he has to head that.

Can only give him the benefit of the doubt being dragged into the mess overseen by Mignolet and Lovren.

Senior club pro's.  If Matip was next to Carra or Hyypia, with Reina behind them, it's very likely he'd be a good CB.

Mignolet should be shouting 'LEAVE IT' rather than Matip thinking he has to head that.

It would’ve been a foul then, no?

I thought Matip was a great signing picking him up on a free but he's been shit this season and did not really convince me last season if I am honest. His heading is weak, he cannot pass the ball more than 10 metres, he is no leader but worst, he is no organiser at the back. If he had someone next to him telling him what to do, where to go he could save his career here but Jurgen's comments about him being as bad as Lovren yesterday show he is in the firing line just as much.

• Downvote 1

Matip is playing badly but is, in my opinion, quite clearly a good footballer. The rest just are shit.

We don't need to spend £70m on a centreback partner for him. Just sign someone that is solid. Most of the teams in the league have a better centreback than Lovren. As do most of the teams in Serie A, La Liga and the Bundesliga. 

I understand that Klopp doesn't want short term fixes, but sadly if you focus too much on the future it never fucking happens in football because the best players just fuck off every season. Is Coutinho going to wait for us to have a competent defence? Is Mane? No, and why would they? Why would they when they could play for a team that tries to win stuff.

• Upvote 1

I here what people are saying about a solid centre back else were. The trouble is is solid enough? If the solid defender does has a few mares he is not solid any more. I think we need better than solid if we want to be a top team. Look at Cahill at Chelsea. Most people thought he was a donkey at Bolton and a bad signing by Chelsea but he has been good most of the time.

• Downvote 1

For me Matip is a good player. Didn’t have a good game yesterday, but he’s not the problem. The header wasn’t good. Two rules of defensive headers - it’s got to go wide, or you’ve got to get distance. Popping it back into the middle by the edge of your own box is poor. Having looked at that one several times I would say it was partly due to Matip’s mistake, and partly due to the quality of the ball coming in. Sometimes the free kick is so good that it makes a defender do things they don’t want to do.

Anyhow, Matip is not so good that’s he’s an irresistible force who drags the quality of everyone around him up a level, but he can hold his own and generally do his job. It’s just that he’s got a dodgy keeper behind him and a reckless partner alongside, and a fullback who is often out of position on the outside. That’s a set of circumstances that will drag most players down.

Matip is not the problem though. He needs a new and better partner, and we need a better goalie. Get that little triangle right and the team might have a platform on which to build.

• Upvote 1

Impossible to judge CBs with zero defensive midfield cover. Maldini would be fucked with that midfield, Mark Fowler's 80s nodder provided better protection.

What Maldini could not clear his lines if he had shit teammates around him? When was the last time Matip headed a ball accurately with any power?

• Downvote 1

Matip is a mediocre defender and the only reasons I can think that he gets a pass from some are that he looks ok carrying the ball out every now and then and that Lovren is even worse.

As a bare minimum a centre half should be a decent header of the ball but all of our centre halves aren't and I think Matip is the worst of all of them in that part of the game. We concede so many from set pieces because our defenders can't head a ball powerfully and accurately so the ball ends up dropping in the penalty area and ends up being down to chance as to whether we can clear it.

It's also why we never score from set pieces at the other end even on the rare occasions the delivery is decent.

Matip isn't as error prone as Lovren but honestly I don't think he's far off. He just isn't good enough.

The whole defence needs clearing out and starting again and it should have happened by now. If it doesn't happen before the start of next season I don't think Klopp will see it out because it's absolutely killing any chance of the team progressing under him.

• 1 month later...