You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joel Matip

aRdja

4 hours ago, Elite said:

He's getting paid millions for hardly playing. He's been a good player for us but he doesn't deserve a new contract under 'good faith'.

Only way i would look at keeping him would be reduced wages and him being happy being the 5th choice, if we are going for a coach that plays a back 3. But he's far to good for that. 

46 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

He was first choice on merit at the start of the season. But Quansah has a lot of his attributes (apart from the height) and he really would be 5th choice at best

He would be 4th choice though and what a 4th choice to have. 

Gomez is a full back these days. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Code said:

He would be 4th choice though and what a 4th choice to have. 

Virgil, Konate, Quansah and Gomez before him I suspect.

I love Joel but it’s hard to make a case to keep him. Quansah seems to share his attribute of being able to carry the ball out of defence, which is the thing that Matip has always done to improve us.

52 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Only way i would look at keeping him would be reduced wages and him being happy being the 5th choice, if we are going for a coach that plays a back 3. But he's far to good for that. 

He *was* far too good for that. A cruciate ligament injury for a player his age with an injury record like his, doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence that he’d be able to play at the same level again.

5 hours ago, Code said:

IMG_0365.jpeg

Averages about the same number of apperances per season as yer man Thiago.

201 in 8 years = 25 a year.

98 in 4 for Thiago = 24.5 a year.

Although to be fair to Matip, he has not always been 1st choice like Thiago was.

12 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Is there anyone of a sane mind who thinks that giving him  a new contract is a good idea?

Maybe give him a 1 year job on reduced terms - he could be useful as 4th choice, especially with Gomez looking much more at home as a full back.

But that said i'd rather we got a younger player in and looked to the future...it probably isn't a goid idea to have 2 centre halves in first team squad who are both 33, which is what both he and VVD will be come start of next season and one of course who is coming back from yet another major injury.

He is a brilliant player but his time here has sadly been blighted by injury after injury and it is probably one too far this latest.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Maybe give him a 1 year job on reduced terms - he could be useful as 4th choice, especially with Gomez looking much more at home as a full back.

But that said i'd rather we got a younger player in and looked to the future...it probably isn't a goid idea to have 2 centre halves in first team squad who are both 33, which is what both he and VVD will be come start of next season and one of course who is coming back from yet another major injury.

He is a brilliant player but his time here has sadly been blighted by injury after injury and it is probably one too far this latest.

Totally agree with all that, apart from giving him another year.

We're not a charitable convalescence home and we found a Ragnar Klavan and an Endo and I daresay we can find another experienced and competent player to do  a job for 2 or 3 seasons if that's what we decide is needed.

I'd rather we looked to the now and the future and bought a CH aged 23-25 that can play now and be moulded to be VVD's successor.

Matip is not Milner.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Code said:

Based on this, we need four top quality CB’s, wecjust cant rely in Konate.

IMG_0370.jpeg

I'm a big fan of Konate but if we goy a huge offer from PSG I'd seriously consider it, but only cause the lad can't stay fit. You just can't rely on him to play 10/15 games on the spin

7 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I'm a big fan of Konate but if we goy a huge offer from PSG I'd seriously consider it, but only cause the lad can't stay fit. You just can't rely on him to play 10/15 games on the spin

Agreed. 

11 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Finding an equivalent would cost a price FSG wouldn't pay.

5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Finding an equivalent would cost a price FSG wouldn't pay.

Not sure how much they would play, i', talking 60ml plus and i could see them paying that for a French international. Especially if he has a good euros and them wanting to make some statements after probably losing Mbappe. 

For me, unless anyone is really agitating for a move, the only area of the team that needs strengthening is CH.

Klopp has left his successor in a fantastic position.

Adrian, Thiago and Matip are all players we should thank for their service and wave goodbye to.

Unless Mo really wants to go to Saudi this summer and Kelleher is happy to stay then the only real issue for the new man is to add strength and reliability at Centre Back.

I'm not paid millions to scout someone out and I'm not going to be signing any contracts, but I'm sure that with the funds available and only needing one excellent player, we can do that.

Replacing Adrian as 3rd choice keeper shouldn't be too taxing.

19 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Of all the issues facing the club in a post-Klopp era, selling Konate and replacing him is about number 36 on the list.

The obvious answer is, get someone wholly more reliable than Matip and you play him more sparingly.

Konate is excellent.

The best season they both managed for staying fit was 21/22 when they shared the games....Matip mostly playing league and Konate europe and cups.

Konate is boss - but he is made of wafers and it is a worry.

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

The best season they both managed for staying fit was 21/22 when they shared the games....Matip mostly playing league and Konate europe and cups.

Konate is boss - but he is made of wafers and it is a worry.

All true.

Which is why replacing Matip, who is old and also made of wafers should be top priority this summer.

• Upvote 1

In my opinion having back up players who are always injured possibly isn't a fantastic idea. 

Thiago and Matip were excellent footballers when they were fit to play. However, offering either of them anything other than a complimentary pen would be utter lunacy. 

• 2 weeks later...