You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joel Matip

aRdja

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, I imagine matip has played a few more than konate this season, I expect it to be the other way round next. 

Matip: 43 appearances - 3,705 mins

Konate: 29 apperances - 2,487 mins.

Only 990 mins of Konate's were in PL (11 full games)

Matip played 31 full PL games.

Interestingly when either played in league they played full 90...not once was either subbed off or brought on as a sub.

VVD played 34 league games and they were also all the full 90....

So it shows how well we did this season keeping them all fit.

Gomez never got a PL game at centre half

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, an tha said:

So it shows how well we did this season keeping them all fit.

I've already pointed it out several times and been completely ignored, so it will probably take an article in the Athletic before anyone else suddenly thinks it's significant: the unsung hero of the season was Andreas Schlumberger. Since he came in our use of rotation has become much more sophisticated, and player after player who previously struggled with niggling injuries has improved. His particular speciality is the recovery period, and I really thinnk we would have struggled to play so many games without his input. He's been a great Klopp signing - so far practically under the radar. (Wipe this from your mind so you can be suitably shocked when that James Pearce piece appears in, oh, probably early August.)

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

I've already pointed it out several times and been completely ignored, so it will probably take an article in the Athletic before anyone else suddenly thinks it's significant: the unsung hero of the season was Andreas Schlumberger. Since he came in our use of rotation has become much more sophisticated, and player after player who previously struggled with niggling injuries has improved. His particular speciality is the recovery period, and I really thinnk we would have struggled to play so many games without his input. He's been a great Klopp signing - so far practically under the radar. (Wipe this from your mind so you can be suitably shocked when that James Pearce piece appears in, oh, probably early August.)

Fair shout. There has also been a lot of talk about that fitness software or device the squad has been using with a space age sounding type of name.

34 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Yeah the evidence certainly backs up this shout.

34 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

We've shouted him out on the pod several times, although in fairness none of us know his name and he's generally referred to as "the new fitness guy they brought in to fix Matip".

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Went to bump this thread but Barry Wom already got there hours ago. Nobody even responded. We're conditioned for this stuff now. 

Out for two to three weeks in the season that keeps on giving. 

Trent, Robbo and Matip all out. Three of our 'first choice' back four.  

Anyway, at least we'll be seeing more of the brilliant Konate, once he stays fit. 

3 hours ago, an tha said:

Something isn't right - this many injuries and them being so relentless goes beyond "bad luck" or "part of the game" IMO.

So with Gomez needed at RB, if Konate is not ready then it could be Phillips v Haaland at weekend!

To be fair most of the injuries we've had this season (Trent and Robbo aside) are the "usual suspects" we've got an aging slightly injury prone Midfield and we play (or we used to play) heavy metal football it all points to injuries happening, although surely with the amount of fitness coaches,Physios sports scientist and all the gizmos they us to monitor players you'd think we'd have a bit of a heads up when it comes to pulls or strains or wear and tear as they call it.

On 11/10/2022 at 18:43, waddy78 said:

To be fair most of the injuries we've had this season (Trent and Robbo aside) are the "usual suspects" we've got an aging slightly injury prone Midfield and we play (or we used to play) heavy metal football it all points to injuries happening, although surely with the amount of fitness coaches,Physios sports scientist and all the gizmos they us to monitor players you'd think we'd have a bit of a heads up when it comes to pulls or strains or wear and tear as they call it.

Understatement and half that!

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Keep him as 4th choice, Konate and Van Dijk, blood the new guy in.

Is not a terrible option I agree, especially if Matip had a better injury record. I’d rather see us get two new CBs in though, as Matip isn’t reliable enough. We’ve caused ourselves enough trouble the last few years by keeping ageing injury prone players too long, let’s not keep repeating that.

• Downvote 1