You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joel Matip

aRdja

Matip is such a good player and it's cruel that he Is so injury prone. The best we can hope for is that he fit enough to play twenty or so games at a high level as he doesnt seem to need much of a settling in period when coming back from injury.

If he wasn't prone to injury, he'd be seen as the second best centre back in the league I think. 

On 18/07/2021 at 14:20, Street Preacher said:

Matip is such a good player and it's cruel that he Is so injury prone. The best we can hope for is that he fit enough to play twenty or so games at a high level as he doesnt seem to need much of a settling in period when coming back from injury.

If he wasn't prone to injury, he'd be seen as the second best centre back in the league I think. 

If he plays twenty games with Virgil next season, we have a brilliant chance of winning the league. As good as Gomez is and as good as Konate might be, Matip is world class when he is fit. They read each other's game so well.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I love him. We’ve got to find a way to keep him fit. Even if it’s a Paul McGrath reduced training schedule. 

Tell you what though. For such a gentleman he sure knows how to drop the F bomb. He was bollocking Trent & Hendo all that first half today for every drop in concentration. 

MOTM for me today 

• Upvote 3

One of the things we've done really well over the last few years is build a squad with the right mentality and character. Matip is a fine example of this. 

I remember last year a number of people were saying that we need to get him off the wage bill due to his injury record, however when he is fit he is right at the top of the best defenders in the league. 

• Upvote 1