You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joel Matip

aRdja

5 minutes ago, Freddo said:

I would imagine we'll have a good crack at getting one of caleta - car, konate or carmo in the summer so something will have to give. 

I think Caleta-Car, Carmo and Kabak were in the same boat in terms of profile and quality. It was only one of those. If we buy a CB this summer, it will be from a higher echelon. 

Pity that he's so fragile because he's a superb player, even in the half he played at Spurs, Son couldn't run past him. 

I've never known a player to be injured so often with so many innocuous injuries or minor knocks that take so long to heal. 

Can't see anyone ever wanting to buy him from us and he's on a big contract. 

Klopp highlighting the unlucky nature of his injuries and the fact he had a good record at schalke. Sounds like we were trying to patch him up and get him through the season.

Hopefully now we can allow him to rest and recover properly before he plays again. Superb player, absolutely class

Matip is the defender version of Sturridge, so brilliant yet so fragile. It's a shame really he cannot go a single month healthy. I would keep him if he were on low wages but he is not. As much as you like to keep him, you cannot afford to keep leaking a hundred grand a week. So sad but he's got to go. The same argument goes for Keita by the way. 

4 minutes ago, therevivalist said:

Matip is the defender version of Sturridge, so brilliant yet so fragile. It's a shame really he cannot go a single month healthy. I would keep him if he were on low wages but he is not. As much as you like to keep him, you cannot afford to keep leaking a hundred grand a week. So sad but he's got to go. The same argument goes for Keita by the way. 

Maybe we could use him as payment for this Kabak if he does the business and Joel goes back to Schalke? I fear both him and Keita will be on big wages though so will not be easy to shift.

32 minutes ago, therevivalist said:

Matip is the defender version of Sturridge, so brilliant yet so fragile. It's a shame really he cannot go a single month healthy. I would keep him if he were on low wages but he is not. As much as you like to keep him, you cannot afford to keep leaking a hundred grand a week. So sad but he's got to go. The same argument goes for Keita by the way

Apart from the “brilliant” bit.

44 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If there was one thing I wish about matip is that I recieved the same sick pay.  Hes a brilliant defender but his injury record isn't going to change. Id sell him in the summer. Like Aurelio its gutting a proper player made of wet rich tea biscuits.

Yep. A great player, seems like a good lad too. His injury record is as bad as anyones and isn't even compatible with being a back up. Such a shame.

10 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Maybe we could use him as payment for this Kabak if he does the business and Joel goes back to Schalke? I fear both him and Keita will be on big wages though so will not be easy to shift.

Unless they have a huge turnaround in fortunes, they're headed for Bundesliga 2. They can't afford to buy Joel or pay his wages anyway.