You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joel Matip

aRdja

You've got to feel sorry for him, being made out of Pringles. 

He's a good player too. But, there can be no room for sentiment in the cutthroat world of top flight football. He's just too injury prone to be a second/third choice centre back for a team wanting to compete for titles. I think he'll be eased out in the summer too. 

Klopp: "The situation is just, the season started and Joel was injured when the season started, unfortunately."

So: injured when the season started, injured during the season, and injured when the season ends. The whole season down the drain. Sad really. Great player, but he's never playing so it's all a bit of a waste. 

Have we actually got it all wrong with Matip?

Is he actually some kind of God like warrior who play through pain like no one else?

You have to wonder?

Its not the first time he’s finished a game/half without anyone noticing him being injured, only for him to be out with some injury no one really understand where and when he got?

9 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

He has to go, really can't justify the squad place and wages. Really good player but he just can't cope with the demands

It's tough because he is such a good player.

He has a contract until 2024 and I can't imagine clubs will be queuing up to sign him due to his injury record?

From Klopps words, it sounds like we are going to try and focus on getting him ready in August for the new season. Hopefully a long rest will do the job, but he pulled up against Everton in his first game back after a long break.

It does seem like he's in Agger/Sturridge territory now and just can't physically cope with the demands of top level football.  

I love him as a player. Will be gutted if he leaves.

I actually would rather keep him and get ten or so games out of him. Virgil, Gomez, Turk, Preston and Nat is a nice bit of cover there now for next season, but Matip is world class, so would rather keep him and hope he plays in games against the Citys of this world.

Him and Virgil was the closest I have seen to Hansen and Lawrenson. Best pairing in world football.

• Upvote 3

He’s contracted here for another 3 years.  He’s not going anywhere and will more than likely play plenty of games next season.  3 lads coming back from major injuries competing with a 20 year old and a 25 year old championship player.  One or more of those 3 will get another injury and I doubt we will be signing anyone else.

1 minute ago, Creator Supreme said:

So will it be Kabak and Davies, Kabak and Phillips, or Phillips and Davies against City?

Klopp rarely puts new players in straight away. I’d have a guess at Fabino being a regular starter at the back and Philips and hendo as options beside him until Davies and Kabak get a chance to have a decent few training sessions.