You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joel Matip

aRdja

32 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

Top class centre back, but we can't go on like this. His fitness record is a fucking joke. Obviously not the lad's fault but his body isn't up to it. 

For me, he's the third best cb in the league and there is nothing between him and Laporte.

Wasn't very impressed with the heralded Leipzig defenders yesterday though in fairness, if you had seen our defence against Villa, I guess it would be the same if you were looking in. Maybe their defenders are as good or could be as good as Matip, but not many really good centre halves out there at his level. Fair points though. He really needs to give us a 6 month season at least. It's very frustrating to watch.

14 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

For me, he's the third best cb in the league and there is nothing between him and Laporte.

Wasn't very impressed with the heralded Leipzig defenders yesterday though in fairness, if you had seen our defence against Villa, I guess it would be the same if you were looking in. Maybe their defenders are as good or could be as good as Matip, but not many really good centre halves out there at his level. Fair points though. He really needs to give us a 6 month season at least. It's very frustrating to watch.

I wouldn't take the United game as any proof that Upamecano or Konaté aren't good. Leipzig played mega attacking and United just sucker punched them a bunch if times.

But I think the Upamecano link is a bit lazy. Usual yearly link with a Leipzig player. I think he'll have better choices for playing time than at us.

28 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I wouldn't take the United game as any proof that Upamecano or Konaté aren't good. Leipzig played mega attacking and United just sucker punched them a bunch if times.

But I think the Upamecano link is a bit lazy. Usual yearly link with a Leipzig player. I think he'll have better choices for playing time than at us.

No I agree with you. I've seen them a few times and they look really good. It was a real off day in the second half. Can't be judged on the Manc game.

I do think that unless Matip turns in a consistent level of fitness, he could be sold. I'd be gutted because he's top class. Not many out there better than him though.

7 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I do think that unless Matip turns in a consistent level of fitness, he could be sold. I'd be gutted because he's top class. Not many out there better than him though.

I'm not sure we would get a whole lot for him - everyone will be well aware of his injury record and he will be 30.

TBH that is probably the clubs mentality - he wouldn't raise much of a fee and he is on "relatively" low wages. 

On 22/10/2020 at 22:36, Dr Nowt said:

Glue factory for this lad.

5 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

It’s Daniel Sturridge territory now. Doesn’t matter how good a player is when they’re unavailable all the time and we won’t sign a more reliable player in their position while they’re still here. 

Hearing the Dr has shares in Nat Phillips.

• 1 month later...

I had a back injury last year and had back spasms. Could hardly walk without insane pain, ended up in A and E then on Diazapam for a few days. If that's what he's got them touch and go for Spurs. Reckon he should be ok for the weekend. But Matip on Diazapam - not sure he could be any more chilled out, he'll be sleeping on the penalty spot. 

5 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I had a back injury last year and had back spasms. Could hardly walk without insane pain, ended up in A and E then on Diazapam for a few days. If that's what he's got them touch and go for Spurs. Reckon he should be ok for the weekend. But Matip on Diazapam - not sure he could be any more chilled out, he'll be sleeping on the penalty spot. 

Suffered for years, you are probably right about the time scale. But I don’t have the  access to the medical resources he will.