You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joel Matip

aRdja

Guest Pistonbroke

Played well again today. Him and VVD just look more on the same level than when Gomez plays at CB. Gomez was playing well before his broken leg, very well. Matip has taken his chance though and should be in the starting 11 on merit. 

A free transfer as well wasn't he ?

If he was then he's up there in the Gary Mac calibre of freebies.  United paid £80 odd million for Slabhead and Matip absolutely pisses on him.

Is there a better centre back pairing around at the moment than Big Bird and Van Dijk ?  Next best pairing in my book would Gomez and Van Dijk.

I remember in Klopp's early days there were plenty of cunts saying Klopp needed to hire a defensive coach.  All he ever needed was time and £75 odd million for Van Dijk.  A little more fine tuning on the practice pitch and our defence will be back to being as tight as a nun's crotch and Matip will be a big part of that.

4 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Big Joel is an excellent footballer, far more gifted and technically assured than Joey Gomez. However, with City's blistering pace up front I always prefer Gomez to play against them.

Not a bad state of affairs.

We have a World Cup finalist as our 4th choice CB.

Not a bad state of affairs at all.

12 hours ago, scudger99 said:

A free transfer as well wasn't he ?

If he was then he's up there in the Gary Mac calibre of freebies.  United paid £80 odd million for Slabhead and Matip absolutely pisses on him.

Is there a better centre back pairing around at the moment than Big Bird and Van Dijk ?  Next best pairing in my book would Gomez and Van Dijk.

I remember in Klopp's early days there were plenty of cunts saying Klopp needed to hire a defensive coach.  All he ever needed was time and £75 odd million for Van Dijk.  A little more fine tuning on the practice pitch and our defence will be back to being as tight as a nun's crotch and Matip will be a big part of that.

Mignolet, Lovren, Sakho, Clyne, Milner

It's his team now,  they should be able to defend. 

Thank fuck it really is his team now. 

I've been critical of Matip in the past but since he came back into the side last season after Gomez got injured he's been nothing short of top class. As much as I want Gomez to become a great centre back that will be a mainstay  for years, you can't dispute that we look better with Matip and Virgil. 

15 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Big Joel is an excellent footballer, far more gifted and technically assured than Joey Gomez. However, with City's blistering pace up front I always prefer Gomez to play against them.

Not a bad state of affairs.

He's not close to as gifted, technically or otherwise as Gomez. Before his injury, Gomez looked quicker, better on the ball and arguably put in consistently better performances than Van Dijk. Fuck knows whether its a confidence thing with Joe, but obviously he looks nowhere what he did pre-injury. But he was clearly better than Matip now as good as Matip currently is IMO.

11 minutes ago, Dundalis said:

He's not close to as gifted, technically or otherwise as Gomez. Before his injury, Gomez looked quicker, better on the ball and arguably put in consistently better performances than Van Dijk. Fuck knows whether its a confidence thing with Joe, but obviously he looks nowhere what he did pre-injury. But he was clearly better than Matip now as good as Matip currently is IMO.

Matip is better on the ball than Gomez. How many times does Gomez come forward with the ball, very few. As for Gomez and confidence I think concentration and awareness is his problem, my opinion obviously. Matip also has/had a problem with this.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Dundalis said:

HOW FUCKING DARE YOU DISAGREE WITH ME ?????

• Upvote 3

Matip is a lot better on the ball than Gomez. Which isn’t to say that Gomez isn’t also good on the ball but Matip is a lot more comfortable. He used to be a midfielder so it’s not a surprise really. 

I’d also caution about using the start of last season to big up Gomez too much. He did start the season very well but the sample size is simply too small. He only played about ten games there before he got injured. I’ve no doubt Gomez is the future of that position but Matip should keep the spot for the foreseeable. 

We also need to sort his contract out ASAP. I can’t believe we’ve let it run down this much.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...