You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joel Matip

aRdja

29 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Virgil, Joe, Joel & Dejan are a very decent pot of central defenders. I know it is very rare that they are all fit together ( Fabinho can cover in a crisis ), but I wouldn't change them this summer I would concentrate spending elsewhere. 

Agree with this, particularly if there is a youth prospect about who can play centre back. Is Hoever a CB or a Full Back? Possibly too early for him next season, but year after? 

As for Matip's dribbles, I quite like them to be honest. Good to see a CB bring the ball forward & draw in opposition players. He's going to lose it some times, sure, but I think the positive outweighs the risk. 

9 minutes ago, Mcfaggen said:

Agree with this, particularly if there is a youth prospect about who can play centre back. Is Hoever a CB or a Full Back? Possibly too early for him next season, but year after? 

As for Matip's dribbles, I quite like them to be honest. Good to see a CB bring the ball forward & draw in opposition players. He's going to lose it some times, sure, but I think the positive outweighs the risk. 

Hoever is a cb mate but has been playing rb.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Really? Be interested to see how many have lead to yellows. Happy to be corrected.

I don't have stats for it, I could be totally wrong. That team last night was built to be solid, a centre half dribbling through midfield is not safe or solid. There is a time and a place (and opposition) for it, I just think Matip goes for it at every available opportunity. 

1 minute ago, No2 said:

I don't have stats for it, I could be totally wrong. That team last night was built to be solid, a centre half dribbling through midfield is not safe or solid. There is a time and a place (and opposition) for it, I just think Matip goes for it at every available opportunity. 

Fair enough, maybe he has been told to do it.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

I'm not a massive fan of his dribbles from the back. Risk versus reward and all that, usually leads to a yellow card when he loses it.

Or punting it aimlessly up field and loses possession. At least when Virgil punts it, we get a goal like in the derby and again last night for Sadio's openner.

• Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Or punting it aimlessly up field and loses possession. At least when Virgil punts it, we get a goal like in the derby and again last night for Sadio's openner.

The hole you are digging is getting so big you can't get out. You don't like him,fair enough,but don't keep chatting rubbish to try to justify it when the player has been excellent.

• Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

you've picked the wrong day to be dissing M-Tip.  He was very good last night.

They’re a very similar level.  Matip has got a lot more confidence on the ball and I like that he takes the responsibility of bringing it out.  It opens the pitch up and commits players.  I seen the comment above about aerial challenges and I disagree.  He’s good in the air, probably better than Lovren and he won a few important ones last night.  I think Lovren probably has the edge in terms of tackling, speed and general defensive play.

I think because of how shit we’ve been defensively over the years they’ve both been labelled shit for different reasons.  Lovren has got a specific howler in him.  He also seems to struggle when he feels inferior (which isn’t too often to be fair).  Other than that though he’s a good player. He goes long periods being solid which I’d expect to continue with Alisson in goal.  People just hate him and call him Shite for those specific bad games and moments he’s had.

Matip has been massively injury prone.  Now he’s getting a good run of games he’s been fucking solid as well.  He’s come back in at times and only played the odd game and hasn’t pulled up any trees so people give up on him as well.  Van Dijk is taking the plaudits and rightfully so but Matip is doing his job as well and they were as good as each other defensively last night.

All that being said I can’t wait for Gomez to come back because he’s a fucking boss.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, moof said:

We have an extremely strong centre half corps, all of them are very good players

Agreed, I think its a case of, apart from Big Virj, none of them walk back into the team after being out, whoever has the place holds their place until injury or a bad run of form. I probably prefer the other 2 over Matip, but no way he deserves to be dropped on current form. And it means the 2 who miss out work even harder to try to get their place back.

1 hour ago, The Woolster said:

Agreed, I think its a case of, apart from Big Virj, none of them walk back into the team after being out, whoever has the place holds their place until injury or a bad run of form. I probably prefer the other 2 over Matip, but no way he deserves to be dropped on current form. And it means the 2 who miss out work even harder to try to get their place back.

No worries there,  more often than not a few of those are out injured. 

55 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Frode getting close to mendoza line after all this time.

#makecodegreenagain

I have no idea what this means.

• 1 month later...