You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joel Matip

aRdja

He's got the potential to become world class. Has everything in his locker. He's been up against Costa, Kane and Vardy and had the measure of all of them. In his first 3 games in English football. When not even fully fit. Outstanding performance last night.

• Upvote 1

What a player. Matip and Lovren has the potential to be the best CB partnership weve seen in years. They should only get better the more games they play together as well.

Steady.

Matip looks a lot better than I thought he would; based on watching him in Germany I thought of him as "good but not great" but I admit these early games he's surprised me.  Hasn't had a problem coping with the pace of the league at all.

That said, Lovren is never going to be good enough to be part of "the best CB partnership in years."  With Milner and Matip next to him he looks decent, and has had moments where he's been even better than that, but he's never getting beyond that for me.  He still has that talent for not doing anything when we're in danger but managing to make it seem like it's everyone's fault but his.

Not saying we can't finish in the top 4 with Klavan, Sakho and them two rotating through the season, but long-term if we want to turn into a team that only ships 30-35 league goals a season then Lovren can't be first choice.  Matip maybe can.

I haven't watched the replay but I thought it was Lallana who lost Matic?

Apologies for the double post but I just noticed this.

Watch it back, and keep an eye on Henderson.  Henderson starts out moving over to cover for Lallana, who failed with the attempted press on Matic.  Because Henderson is marking him, Matic plays it over to the left, and Henderson sort of wanders that direction.  Meanwhile Lallana is frantically trying to get back after his missed press.

Matic shrugs off Lallana's attempt to get back in front of him, and just then Henderson looks over.  He sees what's happened to Lallana, that he's not going to get back, but instead of immediately kicking into gear to cover Matic's run, he just kind of jogs over towards Hazard on the ball (who's already covered by two other players).

Matic then runs into the penalty box all alone and receives the ball in space in our box.  But still Henderson doesn't move faster than a jog, even though he's the one at fault.  Thus when Matic cuts it back past Matip's frantic slide, Henderson is still 2-3 yards away instead of right on top of him.  Matic has time to find Costa and he scores easily.

Like I said, there's a list of errors but Henderson's is by far the biggest and least excusable on that goal.  It's not the end of the world, just a lapse in concentration, but it's precisely the kind of mistake that costs you goals against good teams.

Steady.

Matip looks a lot better than I thought he would; based on watching him in Germany I thought of him as "good but not great" but I admit these early games he's surprised me.  Hasn't had a problem coping with the pace of the league at all.

That said, Lovren is never going to be good enough to be part of "the best CB partnership in years."  With Milner and Matip next to him he looks decent, and has had moments where he's been even better than that, but he's never getting beyond that for me.  He still has that talent for not doing anything when we're in danger but managing to make it seem like it's everyone's fault but his.

Not saying we can't finish in the top 4 with Klavan, Sakho and them two rotating through the season, but long-term if we want to turn into a team that only ships 30-35 league goals a season then Lovren can't be first choice.  Matip maybe can.

Disagree on Lovren i think he has been magnificent since Klopp came in. My feeling is it will be Matip - Lovren for the forseeable future with Klavan brought in now and again to give either a rest.

Would not be surprised if Sakho does'nt wear the shirt again, bar a massive injury crisis.

• Upvote 1

Disagree on Lovren i think he has been magnificent since Klopp came in. My feeling is it will be Matip - Lovren for the forseeable future with Klavan brought in now and again to give either a rest.

Would not be surprised if Sakho does'nt wear the shirt again, bar a massive injury crisis.

Totally agree. Klopp appears to have isolated fan favourite sakho who'll be fortunate to feature again unless there's injuries or loss of form. He appears to have every faith in Lovren, that's good enough for me.

I think the fact we got him for free might have initially given people a wrong impression regarding his ability. He would have cost at-least 20m if we'd have bought him whilst he was still under contract at Schalke. He was one of the most talented defenders in Germany and we should see his best seasons here as he enters the prime of his career. 

• Upvote 1

I think the fact we got him for free might have initially given people a wrong impression regarding his ability. He would have cost at-least 20m if we'd have bought him whilst he was still under contract at Schalke. He was one of the most talented defenders in Germany and we should see his best seasons here as he enters the prime of his career.

or he might get injured and end up in the turkish second division