You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (A), 8pm, 16/09/16, Friday Night Lights

Trumo

I think we have to be careful about bigging Karius to be some sort of brick wall. Most of us have probably seen little of him and are already pinning our hopes of clearing our defensive woes simply because he's in the team.

This is not a defense of Mig btw, I do think he should be dropped but I'm sure his replacement may make mistakes too no matter how perfect his hair is.

• Upvote 1

I think we have to be careful about bigging Karius to be some sort of brick wall. Most of us have probably seen little of him and are already pinning our hopes of clearing our defensive woes simply because he's in the team.

This is not a defense of Mig btw, I do think he should be dropped but I'm sure his replacement may make mistakes too no matter how perfect his hair is.

Relative to Mignolet, Karius is absolutely a brick wall. Mignolet had one of the worst seasons you can imagine from a keeper last year. He virtually allowed a goal for every two shots on target he faced. Last season, only Brad Guzan was worse among starting Premier League keepers in terms of shots saved per goal conceded. This season, it's somehow even worse. He's saving 0.88 shots for every goal he concedes. For comparison, an average keeper like Tom Heaton saves 2 shots for every goal he concedes.

Even if Karius ended up being an average Premier League keeper, (and talent wise, he's certainly not average) we'd still end up conceding far fewer then if we kept Mignolet in goal because Mignolet saves so few shots. 

• Upvote 1

Its not as if Karius is a complete rookie though. He's had a couple of seasons playing in the Bundesliga and been tipped as being a bright keeper. I dont think anyone is claiming Karius is Lev yashin, Gordon banks and Gian luigi Buffon rolled into one but, fucking hell, can you honestly say mignolet has improved at all since he came here?

I cannot much as I hoped he would. He makes the occasional great save. But then will follow that up with a calamity on a straightforward shot.

He's poor in the air, his distribution is poor, he doesnt keep his eye on the ball and he wont  stick his head or hands in where he may get hurt.

Leeds United pissed about with a keeper called gary sprake for years making stupid costly errors that ultimately stopped them winning more than they probably should (not that Im crying about that). Mignolet isnt good enough for us, Im more than convinced of that. If Karius turns out the same, then he'll need to go as well but I dontthink that will be the case.

Oh, and we need to fuck Achterberg off as well. Hopefully maninger has been brought in with this in mind.

Come on, guys. Champions? Not a chance. Think some of you are getting a bit ahead of yourselves.

A few weeks ago there were people slating Klopp..."should have got Ancelotti".

No DM or LB during the window...."this club is a joke, what the fuck are they doing?".

and now......"we're gonna win the league".

I think we'll be in with a shout for Top 4 but it's going to be tough. I'd see that as very good progress.

MUST you burst the bubble of enthusiasm with the needle of pragmatic realism?

I thought Ming did terribly for their goal. He was right in front of Costa with his hands down by his sides and he got nowhere near it. Compare that to Courtois and the speed he got down to the floor to save Origi's header.

We need a keeper who'll make us some points over the season, and I don't think he's it.

• Upvote 2

I thought Ming did terribly for their goal. He was right in front of Costa with his hands down by his sides and he got nowhere near it. Compare that to Courtois and the speed he got down to the floor to save Origi's header.

We need a keeper who'll make us some points over the season, and I don't think he's it.

He got us a point against spurs

But...but...he's a shot stopper dontcha know..

Fucking shit stopper more like.

Actually he cost us 2 points at spurs. His 'effort' for rose's goal was pitiful.

He made plenty of saves that day.

There were a catalogue of errors before roses goal just as there were against Chelsea. Singling out anyone for these type of goals is scapegoating of the highest order.

Our defending is house of cards stuff that generally starts from way out and goes through each area of the pitch like domino rally.

If he makes an absolute howler out of nothing he should be criticised. If Klopp thought he was to blame he'd be out of the team.

There were a catalogue of errors before roses goal just as there were against Chelsea. Singling out anyone for these type of goals is scapegoating of the highest order.

Our defending is house of cards stuff that generally starts from way out and goes through each area of the pitch like domino rally.

If he makes an absolute howler out of nothing he should be criticised. If Klopp thought he was to blame he'd be out of the team.

No it isn't. We actually concede very few chances and shots on target compared to many other teams in the league. The main reason we concede so often is because Mignolet saves almost nothing.

• Upvote 1

No it isn't. We actually concede very few chances and shots on target compared to many other teams in the league. The main reason we concede so often is because Mignolet saves almost nothing.

fair enough but on this occasion singling him out for the blame is absolutely wrong.

batter him if he's to blame. don't just do it because we conceded a goal. 

fair enough but on this occasion singling him out for the blame is absolutely wrong.

batter him if he's to blame. don't just do it because we conceded a goal. 

Yeah, but see Mignolet is so bad that I've almost lost the ability to discern what should be a savable shot for him. He lets in so many relative to how many he actually saves that everyone just assumes that it isn't his fault and that they're all unstoppable. His incredibly undeserved reputation as a good shot-stopper also works in his favour in that regard.

Yeah, but see Mignolet is so bad that I've almost lost the ability to discern what should be a savable shot for him. He lets in so many relative to how many he actually saves that everyone just assumes that it isn't his fault and that they're all unstoppable. His incredibly undeserved reputation as a good shot-stopper also works in his favour in that regard.

Conceding goals from every other chance created isn't a new thing. It was happening with reina under kenny in 11/12 too. Slapstick defending often goes hand in hand with it. Arsenal Burnley spurs Leicester and Chelsea has all seen defending ranging from poor to scoop eyes out with a spoon.

Jordan Henderson's stunning strike gave Liverpool a deserved 2-1 win over Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Friday, but the Reds had to dig in and withstand some late pressure from the home side to secure the victory. The Merseysiders have now travelled to Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea and taken an impressive seven points from nine.

Positives

Everyone knows Liverpool can play, and that scoring goals is not a problem, but defensively they're usually far from sound, so Jurgen Klopp will be pleased with the resilience shown by his team after Diego Costa had pulled one back for Chelsea. The Reds have often wilted under that kind of pressure, but this time they defended in numbers and came through without too much trouble in the end.

Negatives

The way the goal was conceded will not have pleased the manager, but the most disappointing part of the performance was that Liverpool didn't make more of the opportunities they had to counter-attack, especially after half-time. The forward players were terrific tactically but they can all do better on the ball.

Manager rating out of 10

8 -- Tactically, Liverpool were superb and bossed the majority of the game. Klopp took the game to Chelsea and once again fielded a very attacking lineup, and he was rewarded for that positive approach. The substitutions he made were all the right moves at the right time.

Player ratings (1-10, 10=best; players introduced after 70 minutes get no rating)

GK Simon Mignolet, 6 -- Not overly extended due to how well his defenders performed in front of him. Could do nothing about Costa's goal but made an important stop from the striker soon after.

DF Nathaniel Clyne, 7 -- Given the toughest assignment of any of Liverpool's players as he was left to deal with the dangerous Eden Hazard, but the Belgian rarely caused the Reds any significant trouble and Clyne deserves credit for that. He supported the attack when possible and can be pleased with his performance.

DF Joel Matip, 7 -- Should have made a better attempt at preventing Nemanja Matic from picking out Costa for the goal, but was otherwise very solid and composed. The partnership with Dejan Lovren looks promising.

DF Dejan Lovren, 8 -- Defended stoutly and even got on the scoresheet on his return to the side. Won virtually every duel he was involved in and used the ball efficiently. No longer looks overpriced at £20 million.

DF James Milner, 8 -- Another strong performance from the vice-captain, who stuck to his task against the lively Willian and also managed to pose problems for Chelsea defensively. Whisper it, but he's beginning to look like a highly accomplished left-back.

MF Jordan Henderson, 9 -- A real captain's performance, this. He has been playing well of late but this was comfortably his best display of the season. His passing was excellent, he made numerous vital interceptions and scored a phenomenal goal.

MF Georginio Wijnaldum, 7 -- A busy performance from the Dutchman, who got through an incredible amount of work in the midfield. Occasionally let down by his final ball on counter-attacks, but otherwise he was very neat and tidy in possession and did a lot of important defensive work.

MF Adam Lallana, 7 -- Not at his absolute best but still played his part in the victory by helping Liverpool control the midfield for long spells. Could have done better in tracking the run of Matic in the buildup to Chelsea's goal, but this is the trade-off when you play so many attack-minded players in midfield.

FW Philippe Coutinho, 7 -- Recalled to the side due to an injury to his compatriot Roberto Firmino and made an important contribution with a wonderful cross to set up Lovren's opener. After that much of his best work was in a defensive capacity.

FW Daniel Sturridge, 7 -- Started the game very brightly and almost scored early on with a stinging effort that was spilled but recovered by Courtois. Contributed to Liverpool's excellent first-half display but faded after the break and was soon replaced by Divock Origi.

FW Sadio Mane, 7 -- Not at his explosive best and rarely got the opportunity to use his blistering pace against the experienced Cesar Azpilicueta, but was very tactically disciplined and never stopped running.

Substitutes:

FW Divock Origi, 6 -- Replaced Sturridge and could have made the game safe with a glorious headed opportunity that he put too close to Courtois. Hasn't really got going yet this season, largely due to a lack of playing time, and next week's League Cup tie at Derby could be a good chance for him to find some rhythm.

MF Lucas Leiva, NR -- Sent on to help Liverpool see out the game but could have cost his side when he conceded a free kick right on the edge of the box after falling for some gamesmanship by Hazard. Otherwise solid.

MF Kevin Stewart, NR -- Replaced Wijnaldum for the final seconds.

I think you can be a mediocre goalkeeper without making howlers, or a top class one that occasionally makes them. Mignolet is neither and his howlers are nearly always positional errors rather than chucking the ball in his net - staying on or leaving his line in the wrong situations, not closing down the shot taker effectively. I trust Klopp to bomb him out if Karius is even half-decent.

If he doesn't have great numbers for saving shots that is fairly telling, but in his defence it won't tell you how easy or hard the chances are that we present him with saving, and anyone who watches our games must see we have plenty of issues to improve there before we can challenge the best teams in the league. That or buy Suarez back.