You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2017 transfer window

Captain

Technical players are great most of the time but sometimes it's just raw pace and directness that undo these kind of sides.

Bournemouth got better when Fraser came on, and we fell to pieces when Mane came off and all of a sudden they weren't frightened of our attack and so could push up.

Sorry?

I think that's a fair point. When Mane came off they moved out and went for it.

I agree with both of you, by the way! Firmino is a very good player who is well worth his place in the side. He's not a problem. But we do need pace too.

It's all gone quiet on the Inaki Williams front. I haven't said his name for about a week! Williams, Pulisic and Van Dijk. It's going to be the mother of all January windows. OK, I'll go for a lie down.

Has everyone forgotten what Sturridge did a couple years ago? I don't see any advantage in selling him, if people are annoyed he's not playing now, he's hardly going to play for us more if we sell him! We shouldn't need the money for him to buy more players and with Ings injured it would be madness to get rid even if Klopp didn't rate him.

If Klopp wants Pulisic, Dahoud or whoever, spend the fucking cash on his number 1 target.

• Upvote 1

Has everyone forgotten what Sturridge did a couple years ago? I don't see any advantage in selling him, if people are annoyed he's not playing now, he's hardly going to play for us more if we sell him! We shouldn't need the money for him to buy more players and with Ings injured it would be madness to get rid even if Klopp didn't rate him.

If Klopp wants Pulisic, Dahoud or whoever, spend the fucking cash on his number 1 target.

No, we shouldn't.

I'm not sure FSG agree though.

Jurgen Klopp would laugh his ass off at that post.

He is the perfect Klopp player. He has been brilliant this season. He doesn't score today, despite not being the CF and he was playing with pain (Klopps words), yet you think he is the problem. Despite our attack being the best in the league and him being a key player in that, not to mention what he offers without the ball.

I find it utterly bizarre that he is your "priority upgrade" over the GK, maybe a new CB or cover for Mane.

Entitled to your opinion,but I suspect you'll be very much in the minority on this one.

This 100%.

One of many reasons we fell apart yesterday was that Firmino was not at his best, probably cause he wasn't fully fit. Or maybe he just had an off day, or being played in a different position. Or a combination of the three. Anyway he's been key to our pressing game this season, which is the both the basis for our attacking power as well as the first line of defence.

• Upvote 2

Have to ask questions of Firmino when Mane is our top scorer, Coutinho is level with him.

Looking back at the game today and he's nowhere near the area when we broke quickly.

That's my priority upgrade.

Have you considered the possibility that Firmino's creativity, movement and pressing has enabled his team mates to score and assist at rates that they've never done in the past...?

We have scored more goals after 14 games than all but 1 season over the last 50-60 years, surely he's a big reason for that?

• Upvote 2

This 100%.

One of many reasons we fell apart yesterday was that Firmino was not at his best, probably cause he wasn't fully fit. Or maybe he just had an off day, or being played in a different position. Or a combination of the three. Anyway he's been key to our pressing game this season, which is the both the basis for our attacking power as well as the first line of defence.

I think Firmino is increasingly important to the way we play, certainly more than Coutinho.  

That said, I think Lallana is more important to the way we play than either of them.  Hopefully, we're about to find out.  

Have you considered the possibility that Firmino's creativity, movement and pressing has enabled his team mates to score and assist at rates that they've never done in the past...?

We have scored more goals after 14 games than all but 1 season over the last 50-60 years, surely he's a big reason for that?

Yes he is, undoubtedly, but Mane's pace is a key factor in making all this work. Firmino without Mane is very likely a different animal.

And, to be fair, Firmino only has 3 assists this season so far, which is less than Henderson, Lallana, and Coutinho.

Firmino without Coutinho is a discussion. Mane does not make anyone around him better -- he opens up a little space because the other team has to take a step back. But we know Firmino is just as quick as Mane right? Cuz that is a fact. Of the three Mane is the least valuable.

And dont engage Funneee on anything to do with forwards or their contribution.

I don't want Van Dijk for £25m, and I don't think Southampton would risk the ire of their fans by selling yet another player to us, and if they did, they would almost double that to £50m due to John Stones' transfer fee to City, because Van Dijk is better than Stones.

So, for £50m, I'd rather we bought 3 great defenders and not just 1. To be honest I'm a bit sick of this merrygoround where Southampton beat us to great players early on because we have this insane misguided notion that clubs from lower-level teams can't possibly be good. No doubt we'll do the same thing with Dembele at Celtic, and Brandt at Leverkusen, and El Ghazi at Ajax etc. We'll just wait for someone else to make the initial move, like Southampton.