You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2017 transfer window

Captain

No need for Heaton. We have Ward to be tbe number 2 next year.

I think the job looks a bit too big for Karius at the moment. Let him be an understudy for now, like Ter Stegen at Barca before this year. Play him in all cup games, and Heaton in the league with a view of Karius taking on the job full time in a couple of years.

Who's played more games of top flight football in their career, Karius who's 23 or Tom Heaton (30)?

I'll give you a clue. It's not Tom fucking Heaton.

He looks a superior goalie in every aspect at the moment unfortunately. I'm not saying we sell Karius, he could do with easing in I reckon.. a couple of more years under his belt, he'd still be 25...

It's a risk signing keepers from the weaker sides in the league, they face a ridiculous amount of shots per game, they have more opportunity to look like world beaters.  Mignolet looked like one of the best keepers in the league at Sunderland.

Playing for sides like Burnley and Sunderland puts you in the shop window more.

• Upvote 3

I dont get this Heaton love in.

A great shot stopper maybe,but haven't we been through this shit before. Its far different looking good with lots to do than looking good with what we need.

Unless we get our hands on a ter Stegen,Handanovic then dont bother. War and Karius can battle it out

• Upvote 1

We won't be signing a goalkeeper in January, and I don't see the need to sign one in the summer in my opinion, barring serious injury of course.

As has been mentioned, we have Danny Ward coming back next season, and whilst I don't think he'll establish himself as first choice long term, he'll certainly be more than adequate as backup to Karius.

For further depth we have Ryan Fulton to return next season as well. While only 20, he's very highly regarded and is gaining much needed first team experience at Chesterfield where he has established himself as their number 1 keeper in the months that he's been with The Spireites.

Looking further down the line, we've got Shamal George and Kamil Grabara who look like promising prospects. No one can be sure just how they'll develop, but they are certainly intriguing young goalkeepers at this stage of their young careers.

• Upvote 2

De Gea was garbage for his first season, give the lad a break FFS. Tom Heaton is not the answer... well if he is I don't know what the question is!

"Starter for 10: Which 30 year old journeyman English goalkeeper has only completed one season of top flight football in his entire career and is being touted as a Liverpool transfer target by glue sniffers?"

• Upvote 2

It's a risk signing keepers from the weaker sides in the league, they face a ridiculous amount of shots per game, they have more opportunity to look like world beaters.  Mignolet looked like one of the best keepers in the league at Sunderland.

Playing for sides like Burnley and Sunderland puts you in the shop window more.

Not so much one of the best, he never was, but he looked good value at Sunderland. Reina looked poor value here. Now Mignolet has lost his position to the same rationale. Karius is on something like £15k a week so for him to look bad value vs Tom Heaton signing would take some doing. Though we'd do if it he did.