You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2017 transfer window

Captain

Doesn't look like we're going to sign anybody this month, which seems a bit risky as there's only 7 points between us and the Mancs in 6th at the moment. Another couple of off days like the ones against Bournemouth and West Ham might see us out of the top 4 so I wouldn't be taking anything for granted at this stage. If there is the remotest possibility of improving the squad we should be doing everything we can to make it happen. Klopp delivering the CL after 3 windows where he has effectively just traded the squad he inherited when he arrived and not spent any additional money would be a pretty remarkable achievement in my book, especially considering the insane amounts of money the rest of the top 6, bar Spurs, spent in the summer.

Liverpool have earmarked Benfica's £22m-rated Mexican striker Raul Jimenez as a potential summer transfer target. [squawka]

If this is true then I can say definitively that it is not based on youtube scouting.  His videos must be the worst I've ever seen for a target linked to LFC, bunch of tap-ins and penalties and only a 1 in 3 scoring record at age 25 in the Portuguese league.

Which, based on my own patented Youtube Inverse Ability Principle, means that he's destined to be the next Messi.

If this is true then I can say definitively that it is not based on youtube scouting. His videos must be the worst I've ever seen for a target linked to LFC, bunch of tap-ins and penalties and only a 1 in 3 scoring record at age 25 in the Portuguese league.

Which, based on my own patented Youtube Inverse Ability Principle, means that he's destined to be the next Messi.

The Tijuana Ricky Lambert.

Doesn't look like we're going to sign anybody this month, which seems a bit risky as there's only 7 points between us and the Mancs in 6th at the moment. Another couple of off days like the ones against Bournemouth and West Ham might see us out of the top 4 so I wouldn't be taking anything for granted at this stage. If there is the remotest possibility of improving the squad we should be doing everything we can to make it happen. Klopp delivering the CL after 3 windows where he has effectively just traded the squad he inherited when he arrived and not spent any additional money would be a pretty remarkable achievement in my book, especially considering the insane amounts of money the rest of the top 6, bar Spurs, spent in the summer.

How do you know, have you had a word with Jurgen?

Guest Pistonbroke

Inter want Lucas on loan until the end of the season with an option to buy but no firm commitment to make it permanent. (James Pearce)

I'd tell them to fuck off, what part of that deal would be good for us? These Italian teams take the piss, always wanting players on loan. They have no intention whatsoever of taking up the option to buy, they just want to bulk their squad out for the second half of the season on the cheap. 

I'd tell them to fuck off, what part of that deal would be good for us? These Italian teams take the piss, always wanting players on loan. They have no intention whatsoever of taking up the option to buy, they just want to bulk their squad out for the second half of the season on the cheap. 

Half of Roma's squad is on loan to them. Thinking of what players they've got and it sometimes looks as though Totti and De Rossi are the only players they actually own.

Perhaps a Turkish club will come in for Lucas again. I'd reject the loan deal to Inter. Italian clubs like a loan deal don't they?

On a related note, the loan system needs reform. It works if teams want to send their youngsters out for experience, and arguably it works if a player is coming back from a long term injury and needs some match practice. But it's not supposed to be a way where established players go here and there for nothing, and it's not supposed to be a system where you can stockpile players to prevent your rivals from signing any. Ahem, Chelsea.

The loan system needs reform, and as for Lucas, buy him Inter, or go away.

Doubt we'll do it January cause of our wanker owners but it can't be forgotten how well Klopp has us doing with certain players clearly not good enough still hanging around like a bad smell.

We won't be consistent until Sturridge, Lucas, Can, Lovren and Mignolet are replaced by his men

Very early days in the Klopp era, what he;s got out of the dross keeps getting us ahead of ourselves.  Lets just hope over the next few months he manages to finish ahead of two superior squads and has cl football to offfer new signings.

Got to decide who the best keeper, best left back, right back, centre half, cm and forward not at the top 6 or so teams in Europe and go after them in Jan and the summer. £120m or so total. It's a squad game and we don't have one currently.

Goalkeeper - not sure we need one. Waiting to see how that one unfolds.

Left back - Amavi or Chilwell. Or Shaw if Man Utd would deal.

Right back - don't need one.

Centre half - Van Dijk, or Sule, or Tah. Maybe even Keane at Burnley. Or maybe Gomez will boss it.

Centre mid - Kessie and Dahoud.

Forward - Pulisic and Promes.