You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Telebox

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Guest Numero Veinticinco

So, I'm after a fancy new TV. I don't really want a massive one that overtakes the living room, around 40-42 would be nice.

I just want a good picture and the set to look nice. Some sort of remote that means I don't have to get up and turn the fucker over works too. I like the look of the Samsung and LG ones.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

What's your price-range?

That's a tough one. I don't really have one. I'm not pinching pennies at the moment, but I don't see the need for anything super expensive.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

What's your price-range?

That's a tough one. I don't really have one. I'm not pinching pennies at the moment, but I don't see the need for anything super expensive.

I got one of these recently and it's great. Perfect size, not too expensive and the picture is sharp as anything.

Compared it to a 47" LG I've got in another room that's a couple of years older and it's a lot better.

I didn't need anything that plays ultra HD stuff and this is perfect set up to watch Plex through my fire stick.

BB89F8BE-67C5-41BC-BBCA-1507C656C54A_zps

I got a Sony Bravia 43 inch a few months ago. It's a brilliant TV, great picture, has Android built in so great for Kodi, links to my phones etc I paid £450 with a 6 year warranty from richer sounds.

I've had Samsung and LG and both failed on me, so i did a fair bit of research before i got the Sony. 

Whatever you go for make sure the panel isnt a VESTAL they have a lot of bad reviews. Basically loads of big brand companies are getting the TV's made very cheaply in China by VESTAL and then sticking their badge on the front but the TV's keep failing. Steer clear of these models

I am at some point going to be buying a new ultra hd.

I was swayed towards sony as they seemed quite cheap but after reading reviews on the john lewis site they have all been panned.

I was originally going to buy a samsung uhd but they are a lot more expensive than the sonys but now i am considering going after a samsung again even though they are the priciest.

I was thinking it would be worth the extra cause its a long term investment so it is worthwhile stumping up the cash.

I am not considering a curved tv but what are your opinions are samsings worth the extra cash.

• 2 years later...

I’ve been browsing online for a new telly after one of the HDMI sockets on my current one gave up the ghost at the weekend. The boy inexplicably caved another one of the sockets in a few years ago when it was brand new which means the TV is down to just the one HDMI port in a room where we’re constantly changing between four different devices.

I’m gonna get it out of the firing line and put it in my bedroom so I could do with some recommendations for a new one please. 47”-55”, max price probably around £400 and ideally it would be compatible with the Google Home Mini that is on the way after the tip off on the GF last night. 

Who are the telly men on here?

5 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’ve been browsing online for a new telly after one of the HDMI sockets on my current one gave up the ghost at the weekend. The boy inexplicably caved another one of the sockets in a few years ago when it was brand new which means the TV is down to just the one HDMI port in a room where we’re constantly changing between four different devices.

I’m gonna get it out of the firing line and put it in my bedroom so I could do with some recommendations for a new one please. 47”-55”, max price probably around £400 and ideally it would be compatible with the Google Home Mini that is on the way after the tip off on the GF last night. 

Who are the telly men on here?

You know you can get a HDMI splitter so that one port can then connect three devices at a time and you just press a button to change the device currently connected? No? Consider yourself edumacated.

On 25/08/2016 at 23:52, VladimirIlyich said:

LG is a great brand nowadays. Had mine for 6 years and no problems with it.

giphy.gif

LG technology is used in a lot of other manufacturer's TVs. 

10 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Got one of those splitters for £6.99. Considerably cheaper than buying a new TV for £400. As for the Google Home thingamig, it seems that a Chromecast will make my telly do all the voice activated stuff. I had a Chromecast but gave it away ages ago because I had no use for it. What a twat. 

I'm not entirely sure you should be trusted with scissors. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

"These cables running around the room are easy to trip over. Where's Captain Turdseye with his blades? Who turned the lights off?"

54 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I’ve been trying to tell people for years that I’m thick as fuck but nobody listens to me. Taking the living room telly upstairs would have meant moving all the bedroom furniture around as well and I was mentally preparing myself to do it.