You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Michael Kiwanuka

Sugar Ape

Shit night all round.

Saw him at the Bournemouth O2 tonight.

Truly beautiful stuff. The richness and depth in the man’s voice alone were just out of this world. Had a backing singer who’s power reminded me of Clare Torrey’s vocal parts on Dark Side of the Moon.

All told shaping up to be a top 20 gig of all-time absolute minimum. Had it continued as it began for the first 7 or 8 songs, likely comfortably in my top 10.

Only time I’ve ever been to the venue and it be fully sold out...absolute sardines and could barely see the stage. Went up to the first floor to try for a better view, via the bar, and during the walk heard his voice spack out a bit at the start of a song, then vaguely heard him saying something about needing 5 minutes.

Bit of confusion reigned and eventually the whole backing band trooped back out together, the lass with the amazing voice confirming he wasn’t going to be able to continue as he was very unwell but had just tried to push through. Real, real shame. Some middle-aged prick stood next to me immediately started raging about it being “A fucking swizz”. Some cunts really are beyond help.

Can only say if that was him ill and with a voice on the verge of totally breaking down throughout, I can only imagine the quality when he’s on top form.

Truly sublime but cut down 48 minutes in. To cap it off, caught the result of the other on someone else’s phone as I left, having left mine at home by mistake and missed some of my oldest mates in there.

Will have to catch him again next time and hope for better luck, but would thoroughly recommend him live to anyone even based on the above.

• Upvote 2

Gutting when that happens at a gig but at least you seen around half the set. I’ve got tickets for Manchester on Saturday so suppose that could be called off. 

50/50 whether I make that anyway as I’ve been sick as a dog since the weekend (flu symptoms so it’s possible I’m about to drop dead of Coronavirus), if I’m not feeling better by Thursday I was going to see if anyone on here wanted the tickets gratis, have to collect them from me like. 

• Upvote 1

Definitely mate. First time it’s ever happened to me at a gig in my life, so can’t complain too much I guess.

What I’m getting here is that you’ve passed some kind of blood-borne disease to Kiwanuka via your penis. Fairly sure you now owe me half a gig.

Hope you both recover in time. Someone outside was saying his schedule is absolutely stacked and he’s playing the roundhouse in the next few days at something like a 6 music festival. Maybe he’s just run down.

Keep an eye on Tony’s ma and if she gets sick as well then it’s definitely me who has passed it on. 

I’m feeling so bad at the minute that I can’t imagine it’s likely I’ll be going anyway but I’ll see what happens in the next couple of days!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Excellent gig last night in Dublin. The band were on top form and the backing singers were just out of this world. Crowd were a little subdued with it being a Monday night and all, but it was well worth waiting over 2 years to hear the songs from the self-titled 'Kiwanuka' album played live. Amazing artist. 

• Upvote 1