You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Burnley (A) 20th August 3pm

Grinch

We're fucked, we really are. No physicality in the middle, shit defence, square pegs in round holes, no real balance. No real winners in the side, grafters, just a load of half hearted fucking primadonnas, not gonna do anything with all these 'technicians' we have, as Bodgers would say. Just really really shit.

This forum is unbelievable.

We were the better team and it wasn't close.  Sometimes that's how football goes.  Not that we were great, we weren't, but Burnley got that first goal and then shut up shop.  Most days one of those long-range shots will go in if you take 25 of them, today none did.  Again, just how it goes sometimes.

Also, has anyone mentioned that 3 of the 4 of our starting CM/CB group were out?  Put Sakho and Matip in, and Can in midfield and we're much more solid there.

Take your red tinted glasses off mate. We are perennial under-achievers. We have a team brimming with spineless, overpaid cunts.

• Upvote 1

I don't care if they were all unsaveable, we concede a ridiculous amount of goals with Mignolet in goal. That's simply a fact. There was a two or three game period last season where he conceded 8 goals from 11 shots on target or something like that. He's shite.

Have oyu been watching this match at all ?

We played absolutely dogshit from front to back ,and you choose to slag off the only player in the team who didnt make a single mistake ?

Puddled

Buy that left back guy with the Benteke money, just effing give them all of it.

Which left back would that be then, the one who signed a new contract because Ian Ayre didn't like his Dad or the German one who signed a new contract because we were arsing about during the summer?

This forum is unbelievable.

We were the better team and it wasn't close.  Sometimes that's how football goes.  Not that we were great, we weren't, but Burnley got that first goal and then shut up shop.  Most days one of those long-range shots will go in if you take 25 of them, today none did.  Again, just how it goes sometimes.

Also, has anyone mentioned that 3 of the 4 of our starting CM/CB group were out?  Put Sakho and Matip in, and Can in midfield and we're much more solid there.

One of those twenty-five shots wouldn't have been enough. We'd still have lost and deserved to have lost. 3 of our starting 4 CB/CM group may have been out (but Can was on the bench and there's no evidence yet that Matip is in the starting line up), but our biggest problem was a complete lack of penetration.

The truth is that our team looked devoid of a plan once they went 1-0 down. Smacking it high and wide from twenty-five yards is not a plan worth having. Sturridge looks finished, our 'creative' players looked confused, our midfield was non-existent and our CBs looked error-prone. None of us know why we're fielding a midfield of Henderson, Wijnaldum and Lallana - they're not terribly creative and they sure as shit can't stop an attack.

We've just deservedly lost 2-0 to Burnley, a newly-promoted team whose record signing cost less than we spend on high-risk gambles on couldabeens like Aspas, Balotelli or Markovic. Our manager has said repeatedly that there's no-one available who could approve the squad when the problems there (no LB, no DM) are plain for all to see.

It's all very well to shout about staying optimistic and supporting the team, but discontent at the current situation is entirely reasonable. We need to add experienced, solid players in the middle of the park and improve on the players available out wide. Pretending that you can't judge this early in the season is nonsense when you consider that these problems were already apparent four months and £60m ago.

Wijnaldum

Henderson

Lallana

Firmino

Coutinho

Sturridge

Absolutely fuck all strength there, all nice and tidy but no drive and nobody to drag the side forward.

I'd start Grujic and Can, two big lads who can put themselves about and are tidy footballers.

We've spent an obscene amount on players that are essentially the same. Mane is a shining light, fast, direct and strong.

I'd give my left nut for a Steven Gerrard.

• Upvote 1

Fuck this team, fuck every player on the pitch today from our gutless pampered softarse captain to the twat-haired tattooed fanny who came on with 5 minutes to go. Shankly would have drowned this shower of cunts in a vat of their own lifetime's supply of Nivea. 

I'm not letting a shower of soft cunt, bentley driving millionaires ruin my weekends any longer.

Let me know when we've signed some players with balls bigger than petit pois.

• Upvote 5

Frustrating as fuck, though, isn't it.

Firmino fits Gordon Strachan's description (of Noel Whelan, I think) - "Some days he's a world-beater; some days he's a carpet beater".

You need your creative players to use every trick in the book to get past a defence like Burnley's today.  Unfortunately, none of ours were worth a carrot this afternoon; they all stunk.

No doubt that "tactical genius" at Old Trafford will be taking notes, to mastermind another win like the one he got at Anfield in 2014.

That is for sure!

If both teams took those exact shots over again 100x we'd probably win at least half the time and draw another quarter of the time.  It's incredibly frustrating to lose a game like that, no doubt.

But it's part of the sport that we love.  Sometimes the weaker team gets lucky and scores a very early goal and can then sit back and defend their box for dear life.  Sometimes you can shoot 25 times from good positions just outside that box and not score once.  It happens.

What frustrated me more was how useless we looked when it came to penetrating their box.  I really wanted to see Clyne/Milner, but also Coutinho, Sturridge and Firmino, trying to run at them and make something happen in the box.  The more touches you have in the opposition box the better odds you have of something good happening.  If Coutinho could have tried to dribble his opponent on 4 or 5 of those times when he shot, he would probably have gotten a penalty at some point.  Maybe half the time they take it off his toes but all it takes is once for them to swipe in late and we're taking a penalty and the game is changed.

Fuck this team, fuck every player on the pitch today from our gutless pampered softarse captain to the twat-haired tattooed fanny who came on with 5 minutes to go. Shankly would have drowned this shower of cunts in a vat of their own lifetime's supply of Nivea.

I'm not letting a shower of soft cunt, bentley driving millionaires ruin my weekends any longer.

Let me know when we've signed some players with balls bigger than petit pois.

Can't rep but if i could i would...twice