You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cycling

Any of you into cycling?

I'm going to start cycling to work (18 miles each way), ideally twice a week. I haven't been on a bike in years but my daughter learned recently so I needed to get one anyway, and we have a cycle to work scheme where I'll only pay about 65% of the bike cost over 12 months (It gets taken out before tax etc so will only affect my pay by about £65 a month).

Also, if I use it to commute just once a week, I'll save £30 a month on bus fares. Seems like an OK incentive to me. Either way I can't lose, if I don't use it, I'll just sell it for near what I bought it for.

I lift weights and stuff but no cardio in years, since I stopped playing 5-a-side, so this is going to be a real challenge.

Here's what I am going for:

https://www.mcconveycycles.com/bikes-/race-tour-cx/specialized-crux-e5-2017.html

I chose cyclocross as it seems to be the best bet for road cycling and a bit of light off-road through the woods etc with my daughter, but I'll not be MTB'ing.

Have a look at the cyclechat forum, you'll get loads of tips & advice on there. 18 miles each way is a fair way to cycle to work. I know because I've done it. Probably going to take around 1 hr 15 mins each way. At first you'll be fucked and you'll eat like a pig, fit or not.

Lots to consider. What type of work do you do, is it hard graft, or sat down all day?

Can you get cleaned up when you get there?

What sort of route will you be riding?

How will you get change of clothes etc there? and loads of other things as well.

If you can, I would try it out on a saturday. Learn & time your route.

Can you cycle half way to start, and bus / train the rest?

If you get into it though, you'll love it.

• Upvote 1

Have a look at the cyclechat forum, you'll get loads of tips & advice on there. 18 miles each way is a fair way to cycle to work. I know because I've done it. Probably going to take around 1 hr 15 mins each way. At first you'll be fucked and you'll eat like a pig, fit or not.

Lots to consider. What type of work do you do, is it hard graft, or sat down all day?

Can you get cleaned up when you get there?

What sort of route will you be riding?

How will you get change of clothes etc there? and loads of other things as well.

If you can, I would try it out on a saturday. Learn & time your route.

Can you cycle half way to start, and bus / train the rest?

If you get into it though, you'll love it.

I'm a software developer, so sat on me arse all day.

There are shower facilities in a building about 3 minutes walk away. And we'll actually be moving into this building, hopefully January 2017.

Crossgar to Belfast, you can see the elevation if you plug the journey into google maps. Carryduff in the centre is on a big hill, so the first half of each journey is brutal, apparently. Bear in mind this isn't door to door, for distances:

ok1hlt.png

Going to have a small backpack for clothes, or else bring the clothes in in the car on a monday and leave them there and cycle other days. I was also looking into a pennier.

In a regular week, I'm in the office 3 days, work from home 1 day, and have 3 days off. So If I can cycle the monday and wednesday, i'll be happy to get the bus 1 day.

There is a park and ride about half way, so I'm going to use that at the start, as I know I'll 100% definitely not be ready right away.

I'm looking forward to the eating part.

I'm a commuter. 

And I've been through this discussion and ultimately went for a road bike for the pace. 

The clothes part, I'm still working out. 

Are you looking to get yourself some bibs? or under-shoes padding? I found leaving the key essentials in work and using Monday as a "WHY THE FUCK AM I DOING THIS" day (basically, carrying everything in, on my back. But things to leave in work are: 

• Facial wipes (get yourself down to Aldi as they're about 70p); 
  • Some shoes (unless you're getting some MTB shoes for the cleats); 
  • Spare underwear/socks (I've gotten these countless times and it's a bitch when you're pissed wet through and nothing to change into); 
  • Bike lock (I carried mine in for weeks until I realised it's easier just leaving it locked to the bike shed)
  • Upvote 1

Any of you into cycling?

I'm going to start cycling to work (18 miles each way), ideally twice a week. I haven't been on a bike in years but my daughter learned recently so I needed to get one anyway, and we have a cycle to work scheme where I'll only pay about 65% of the bike cost over 12 months (It gets taken out before tax etc so will only affect my pay by about £65 a month).

Also, if I use it to commute just once a week, I'll save £30 a month on bus fares. Seems like an OK incentive to me. Either way I can't lose, if I don't use it, I'll just sell it for near what I bought it for.

I lift weights and stuff but no cardio in years, since I stopped playing 5-a-side, so this is going to be a real challenge.

Here's what I am going for:

https://www.mcconveycycles.com/bikes-/race-tour-cx/specialized-crux-e5-2017.html

I chose cyclocross as it seems to be the best bet for road cycling and a bit of light off-road through the woods etc with my daughter, but I'll not be MTB'ing.

There's a cycling thread already although it's been a bit quiet of late

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index.php?/topic/97704-road-cycling/page-82

• Upvote 1

I'm a commuter. 

And I've been through this discussion and ultimately went for a road bike for the pace. 

The clothes part, I'm still working out. 

Are you looking to get yourself some bibs? or under-shoes padding? I found leaving the key essentials in work and using Monday as a "WHY THE FUCK AM I DOING THIS" day (basically, carrying everything in, on my back. But things to leave in work are: 

• Facial wipes (get yourself down to Aldi as they're about 70p); 
  • Some shoes (unless you're getting some MTB shoes for the cleats); 
  • Spare underwear/socks (I've gotten these countless times and it's a bitch when you're pissed wet through and nothing to change into); 
  • Bike lock (I carried mine in for weeks until I realised it's easier just leaving it locked to the bike shed)

I sweat peeling an orange so wipes are a no go, I'm afraid I'll need a good shower after each journey!

Shoes, I haven't picked yet.

I'll be bringing a full change of clothes each day too. I'm going to get some light cheap sports clothing for the cycling part and just have my normal jeans and a tshirt, underwear and trainers brought in to change into.

I might just strap the lock to the bike, however I'm thinking of just hanging the bike up indoors so might not need a lock at home. Still probably best to have a spare for weekend rides.

Advice appreciated, cheers guys. Just put the deposit down so they're holding the bike for me and I'll be waiting on my employers to do their part before I can get it. I've heard from the other guys in here that could be 4 days up to 3 weeks. I'm hoping closer to the former.

If I were you, I'd spend what you can on a road bike, and pick up something cheap for the off-roading with the kid.

A good road bike will save you a load of effort in the saddle, and considering 90%+ of what you're doing is roadwork, it's a road bike I'd be going for.

A road bike at half the price of that Specialized would be better for your needs.

Not to piss on your chips like.

• Upvote 1

If I were you, I'd spend what you can on a road bike, and pick up something cheap for the off-roading with the kid.

A good road bike will save you a load of effort in the saddle, and considering 90%+ of what you're doing is roadwork, it's a road bike I'd be going for.

A road bike at half the price of that Specialized would be better for your needs.

Not to piss on your chips like.

Yea, I get that a road bike would be better for the commute, but I don't want to have two bikes to store, maintain etc. Some guys in work said with that cyclocross frame all i'd need is a separate set of road wheels and it'd essentially be a road bike anyway, if I wanted to go down that route.

Yea, I get that a road bike would be better for the commute, but I don't want to have two bikes to store, maintain etc. Some guys in work said with that cyclocross frame all i'd need is a separate set of road wheels and it'd essentially be a road bike anyway, if I wanted to go down that route.

Also, as long as its 'do-able', in a decent time (1-1.5 hours), I don't mind it being a bit tougher as its the only cardio I'll get. No matter what bike, it'll be enough of a journey that i'll need a shower and a burrito upon arrival.

I wouldn't go off-roading with road bike wheels on it though, you'll destroy them.

I wouldn't go off-roading with road bike wheels on it though, you'll destroy them.

Yea, I'll just have the road bike wheels on midweek and the wider ones for the weekend.

That's if I need them. As I say, if its do-able with the bike as it comes, then great. I'll not be touring, doing 100 mile jaunts at the weekend. At least that's not the current plan, I suppose I don;t know how my interest will evolve. But the idea for now is the commute will be the longest journey I do. The leisure riding will be more up and down. Shorter bursts.

What would you all consider essentials to carry with every journey?

Pump

Water

Puncture kit?

Spare tubes?

Any tools in particular?

Are cycling glasses recommended, or even required?

Anything else?

What about carrying stuff?

A backpack or a pannier?

Just a basic maintenance tool or allen keys should suffice, the rest are essential for commuting. Puncture repair kit will have tyre levers anyway. Backpack over panniers all day long.

• Upvote 1

I'd go with spare tubes rather than a repair kit for commuting. Don't want to be trying to find a puncture on the side of the road. Just whip out the old, throw on the new, pump like a cunt, and away you go. Tubes are nearly disposable items at this stage, so maybe buy a pack of 5 at the start, and don't bother even repairing them.

Buy a saddle bag, throw some tyre levers, a couple of tubes, and some allen keys, and you're away.

Pure first world solution.

I'd love to be brave enough for one of these https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-fatboy-se-2017-mountain-bike-EV244875

• Upvote 1

Agree with Lario, just replace the tube in case of a puncture. Also if you can manage it carry as little as possible. Carrying a laptop, shoes and stuff is a real pain over a decent distance. If you can leave clothes at work the day before you can get away with just a light backpack.

• Upvote 1