You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dalian Atkinson Killed by Cops

skend04

They just did it for him.

It wouldn't be the first time. There was a guy from California called Alec Ouzounian who posted on the toy forums I moderate, a very talented artist and sculptor. He was threatening to kill himself a few years ago, so the police shot him dead. Way to go cops.

Domestic incidents and mental health incidents are absolutely the worst two kids of jobs you go to as a Police Officer. This was a combination of both.

What is it with ordinarily sensible people and losing thier minds over the Police on here. The likes of Paul suggesting it's racist based solely on him being black; good grief. I'm sure he's experienced just how difficult these jobs can be what with occasionally having to tell off a twelve year old who doesn't want to go to PE.

• Upvote 5

Domestic incidents and mental health incidents are absolutely the worst two kids of jobs you go to as a Police Officer. This was a combination of both.

What is it with ordinarily sensible people and losing thier minds over the Police on here. The likes of Paul suggesting it's racist based solely on him being black; good grief. I'm sure he's experienced just how difficult these jobs can be what with occasionally having to tell off a twelve year old who doesn't want to go to PE.

I've not read a great deal about it to be honest, but has it been confirmed it was mental health related?

It wouldn't be the first time. There was a guy from California called Alec Ouzounian who posted on the toy forums I moderate, a very talented artist and sculptor. He was threatening to kill himself a few years ago, so the police shot him dead. Way to go cops.

*sniggers

It's my force but at a station with I know absolutely no one at. However Telford is pretty much identical in size and population make up as where I am. It's Policed in the same way and policy is identical. I was on duty at the time but haven't seen any logs or spoken with anyone about it.

The attending Officers will have been designated firearms or, just as likely, ordinary shift response officers who this year were also trained in tasar. I turned down the opportunity to be trained myself just a few weeks ago.

The grading of an incident as a 'concern for welfare' will relate to one of several things. It can be that a neigbour or family member hasn't seen someone for a few days or it can be social services asking us to check on a child for example. But it's almost always a result of someone phoning up about the mental health of someone. Quite often it's a call from the person themselves. I attended two yesterday, the first of which was a neighbour reporting her friend self harming with scissors. I'd say eighty or so percent are mental health and self harm related. Given this was at a family address it'll be a call by his family/friends/partner or by Ambulance crews who've been called themselves. The incidents are horribly unpredictable and rarely end up like mine yesterday discussing the Tennis.

I know six Taser trained officers. All are decent people with sound judgement. None want to deploy their tasters. To think that this could be them getting shit from people you'd expect to be sensible or even me had I agreed to be trained is bollocks.

• Upvote 1

It's my force but at a station with I know absolutely no one at. However Telford is pretty much identical in size and population make up as where I am. It's Policed in the same way and policy is identical. I was on duty at the time but haven't seen any logs or spoken with anyone about it.

The attending Officers will have been designated firearms or, just as likely, ordinary shift response officers who this year were also trained in tasar. I turned down the opportunity to be trained myself just a few weeks ago.

The grading of an incident as a 'concern for welfare' will relate to one of several things. It can be that a neigbour or family member hasn't seen someone for a few days or it can be social services asking us to check on a child for example. But it's almost always a result of someone phoning up about the mental health of someone. Quite often it's a call from the person themselves. I attended two yesterday, the first of which was a neighbour reporting her friend self harming with scissors. I'd say eighty or so percent are mental health and self harm related. Given this was at a family address it'll be a call by his family/friends/partner or by Ambulance crews who've been called themselves. The incidents are horribly unpredictable and rarely end up like mine yesterday discussing the Tennis.

I know six Taser trained officers. All are decent people with sound judgement. None want to deploy their tasters. To think that this could be them getting shit from people you'd expect to be sensible or even me had I agreed to be trained is bollocks.

It doesn't look good though, eh?  They have killed a man.  It will take some explaining if like you say the taser is a last resort. 

It doesn't look good though, eh? They have killed a man. It will take some explaining if like you say the taser is a last resort.

Well of course not but no one on this thread knows where it falls between him opening the door and asking if Officers would like a spot of tea or running at them with a knife.

If it was me that fired that tasar id have been gutted whether it was justified or not.

How dare people give the police shit for killing someone.

No doubt there are some top, top lads in the force; there are also plenty of knuckle dragging, neanderthal cunts.

I'm all for reserving judgement until the facts come out but if the default position is to immediately go on the defensive when faced with criticism, we'll have problems going forward and making sure shit like this doesn't happen again.

I am sure what ever he was doing didnt justify him being killed.

If the police didnt have tasers what would they have done instead? I am sure it would have been resolved peacefully without anyone dieing or getting injured.

The thing that pisses me off most though is the thought of a cheesy black lives matter demonstration.

I know six Taser trained officers. All are decent people with sound judgement. None want to deploy their tasters.

I've seen statements from officers who've deployed tasters (luckily most just 'red dotting') in situations that are far from the last resort.

If the police didnt have tasers what would they have done instead? I am sure it would have been resolved peacefully without anyone dieing or getting injured.

The thing that pisses me off most though is the thought of a cheesy black lives matter demonstration.

You're making the leap here that Police made the decision to end his life. The officers will have to try and justify using taser, not killing him. It's absolutely intended as an alternative to using greater force and to stop someone hurting themselves or others. And that includes hurting the Police Officers.

Are you seriously suggesting the Officers used taser as an alternative to saying 'come on mate, calm down please'? I'd absolutely love to take some of the people into some of the shit situations we find ourselves in.

You're making the leap here that Police made the decision to end his life. The officers will have to try and justify using taser, not killing him. It's absolutely intended as an alternative to using greater force and to stop someone hurting themselves or others. And that includes hurting the Police Officers.

Are you seriously suggesting the Officers used taser as an alternative to saying 'come on mate, calm down please'? I'd absolutely love to take some of the people into some of the shit situations we find ourselves in.

I am not saying that they did at all but what i am saying is if they couldnt use tasers they would have had to resolve it another way and it would have still beem resolved.

Can't decide if being serious or not.

Have you ever been called to the home of someone with psychosis, threatening to harm themselves or others, who had a stash of weapons and maybe other people in the house with them?

I always remember the blind man who got tasered.

A blind man Tasered by a police officer who mistook his white stick for a samurai sword has been awarded compensation nearly three years after the bungled operation.

Colin Farmer, registered blind after suffering strokes, was walking to a pub to meet friends when he was shot in the back for five seconds with a Taser in October 2012.

The officer who fired the Taser was disciplined and told to apologise to Mr Farmer but was allowed to keep his job at Lancashire police.

Armed police teams were scrambled after reports that a man, variously described, including as a skinhead in his twenties, had been spotted in Chorley, Lancashire, carrying a two-foot sword.

PC Stuart Wright jumped out of his patrol car when he spotted Mr Farmer, and ordered him to stop. When Mr Farmer, then aged 63, failed to respond, the officer Tasered him, then handcuffed him while he lay on the ground.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/blind-man-tasered-by-police-who-mistook-walking-stick-for-samurai-sword-wins-compensation-10464335.html

I've seen statements from officers who've deployed tasters (luckily most just 'red dotting') in situations that are far from the last resort.

Who says they are last resort. It's not 'death or taser'. I'd be comfortable using one if someone was saying he was going to smash my face in, challenging me to fight. Tell me why I should walk up and get smashed in the face?

Policy doesn't say 'last resort'. It's actually a really good alternative to people actually fighting and going physically hands on with Police. Instances of real injury or death with them are really low.

I've carried CS/Pava spray for 13 years. I've been to over 8000 incidents and made about 1000 arrests of which maybe a few hundred required use of force. I've never used or drawn the spray. I'm as level headed as you're going to find and even I see the use of taser as a preferable alternative to Officers fighting people.

• Upvote 1