You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dalian Atkinson Killed by Cops

skend04

Leader of black police officers warns against Taser rollout proposals

After Dalian Atkinson death, Black Police Association president says Taser use damages cohesion and will not stop terrorism

The Guardian

Anushka Asthana and Jamie Grierson

Wednesday 17 August 2016

The president of the National Black Police Association has expressed concern about the disproportionate use of Tasers against ethnic minorities in the wake of the death of former footballer Dalian Atkinson.

In an article for the Guardian, Janet Hills said it was too early to understand what had happened during the incident in Telford, West Mercia, which demanded a thorough investigation.

But she warned that black and ethnic minority people were three times more likely to be on the receiving end of the weapons when discharged by officers, according to official figures, and the situation is not improving.

Hills urged forces to resist calls for every officer in England and Wales to be given the option to be armed with a Taser in the face of the heightened terrorist risk.

She said large-scale attacks, such as those in Belgium and France recently, would not have been stopped by officers carrying Tasers, and while increased use felt like an easy option, “we must always be aware of the concern they are causing in communities already filled with mistrust and fear about their interactions with police”.

Atkinson, 48, died on Monday about 90 minutes after an incident outside his father’s home in Telford, Shropshire, involving two officers in which he was reportedly tasered three times.

The Liberal Democrats have accused the government of “sitting on a report” about the safety of Tasers that was completed for the Home Office in December but has not been published.

The independent inquiry, by the scientific advisory committee on the medical implications of less-lethal weapons (SACMILL), was commissioned after the death of Jordan Begley, a 23-year-old factory worker from Manchester, was linked to the use of a Taser last year. The Guardian understands that the study was completed in December but officials have claimed that it was not a formal assessment and was never intended to be a public report.

In her article, Hills questioned some of the assumptions about the safety of the “less lethal” weapons.

She said that as a police officer she had been told that Tasers would protect her colleagues and communities. “[i was told] that they could literally stop a raging bull, take down the strongest attacker and keep us safe. When first introduced, we were assured that they were the ‘soft’ option.”

But she said it was now clear that there had been a number of fatalities. “In a controlled environment, with medical care on hand and with a volunteer who is fit, healthy – and not on drink or drugs – everything does seem fine, but on the streets where officers patrol, that benign scenario rarely exists.”

Instead, she warned of mental health, drink and drug issues, with some of the factors being more prevalent in parts of the black and ethnic minority community.

“I still believe our best hope is to stick with the core of what we do best here in the UK, policing by consent, with support of the public and the communities that make up the UK.”

Asked about Hills’s comments, a Home Office spokesperson said: “It would be inappropriate to comment on an ongoing Independent Police Complaints Commission investigation [into Atkinson’s death].”

Sources have suggested that the findings of the SACMILL report have been communicated to police forces across the country, but not the full study.

The National Police Chief’s Council, which saw the report, said: “On the basis of the evidence available to the committee at that stage, SACMILL’s opinion was that the current medical statement on the Taser X26 system remains applicable.”

However, the group did take action in response to the findings. “SACMILL also made some comments and in light of these observations, the NPCC has reinforced that police forces pay particular attention to specific training on the use of Taser in confined spaces, including use of angled drive stun; the preferred target area of probes attaching ‘above and below the belt line’, and understanding the difference in probe spread when firing from a ‘straight arm’ and a ‘braced hip’ position.

The Lib Dem home affairs spokesman, Alistair Carmichael, said it was disgraceful that the report had not been made public in the face of more fatal incidents.

“The Home Office cannot afford to waste any more time and must publish this report immediately. Any delay will be seen as a betrayal not only of the British public but of the police, who need to learn lessons so this never happens again.

“Tasers might be a good alternative to an armed police force, but the UK prides itself on policing by consent and their place in a police officer’s toolkit has, rightfully, come into question.”

SACMILL is responsible for ongoing assessments of the medical implications of Taser use, and does publish those on its website. However, the inquiry was a separate piece of work done after the NPCC asked the committee to review its assessments in the wake of Begley’s death.

Sources said ministers were committed to giving officers the tools they needed when facing potentially violent situations. But they said accountability was critical, pointing to Chief Constable David Shaw’s in-depth review that called for the publication of data on ethnicity, age, location and outcome of all Taser use. They said the deployment of the weapons was an operational matter for chief officers.

There have been at least 17 deaths linked to the use of Tasers since they were introduced in 2003.

In July 2014 the Independent Police Complaints Commission found that none of the eight deaths it had completed investigating at the time was directly caused by Tasers. Since those investigations were completed, there have been nine more Taser-linked deaths.

On Tuesday a 23-year-old man was Tasered after Metropolitan police stopped the car he was driving. The man was taken to hospital by ambulance as a precaution.

He was arrested on suspicion of possession of a firearm after a search of the car recovered what is believed to be a Mac10 machine pistol and ammunition. He was later discharged from hospital and taken into custody at a south London police station.

I really don't think it's as simple as saying 'black people are three times more likely to be tasered by Police'. It's on par with people claiming that because 13 percent of the population are ethnic minorities then only 13 percent of stop searches should be non white.

Before I explain why, i'm interested in who thinks this makes me a racist.

One of my birds mates has been a copper in the Met for nearly 20 years and a big part of her job is searching the houses of suspected terrorists and nonces. Some of the things she's told me, specifically about the paedos, make me realise it's not something I could ever do.

They put beans on a fry up, don't they?  

• Upvote 1

I really don't think it's as simple as saying 'black people are three times more likely to be tasered by Police'. It's on par with people claiming that because 13 percent of the population are ethnic minorities then only 13 percent of stop searches should be non white.

Before I explain why, i'm interested in who thinks this makes me a racist.

I don't think it makes you racist, it makes society/establishment systemically racist. Stuff you obviously can't do much about.

I think ethnic minorities are disproportionately more likely to be poor too, and I think poor estates are more likely to be patrolled by the police. As a white person I can't really comment on levels of racism faced by minorities when it comes to dealing with the police, but on the surface at least I can't imagine it's anywhere near anything like what they face in the USA. 

I think ethnic minorities are disproportionately more likely to be poor too, and I think poor estates are more likely to be patrolled by the police. As a white person I can't really comment on levels of racism faced by minorities when it comes to dealing with the police, but on the surface at least I can't imagine it's anywhere near anything like what they face in the USA.

Nail on head. Socio economic factors are largely ignored every time i hear people discuss stop search. Theresa May, for example, is a right daft cunt.

Birmingham, for example, is absolutely blighted by street robberies committed by young black males, largely from the Somali Community. It's not an open invitation to stop every black kid walking down the street but getting accused of racism by stopping people matching the description of suspects in the area of a robbery and within minutes of a call is not racist.

• Upvote 5

Nail on head. Socio economic factors are largely ignored every time i hear people discuss stop search. Theresa May, for example, is a right daft cunt.

Birmingham, for example, is absolutely blighted by street robberies committed by young black males, largely from the Somali Community. It's not an open invitation to stop every black kid walking down the street but getting accused of racism by stopping people matching the description of suspects in the area of a robbery and within minutes of a call is not racist.

I think the police will target certain areas if there's a reason for it, but people who've done nothing wrong will rightly take umbrage at it, scousers of all people should understand that. 

My uncle and his mates got stopped by coppers near Delamere in the 80s, they were absolutely swarned on by patrol cars and he reckons it was purely because they'd ran the number plates and seen they were from Liverpool. Copper sat in the front with them all and said 'what are four young bucks from Liverpool doing around here?' 

At the time though Speke was known even in Manchester as being a hotspot for cartheft.  

I think the police will target certain areas if there's a reason for it, but people who've done nothing wrong will rightly take umbrage at it, scousers of all people should understand that. 

My uncle and his mates got stopped by coppers near Delamere in the 80s, they were absolutely swarned on by patrol cars and he reckons it was purely because they'd ran the number plates and seen they were from Liverpool. Copper sat in the front with them all and said 'what are four young bucks from Liverpool doing around here?' 

At the time though Speke was known even in Manchester as being a hotspot for cartheft.  

what were they doing round there, those scouse bucks?

'But they all look the same'.

It's the tasering them in the nuts and stomping them into the curb they take offence too more than the actual stopping i think.

I've just rung 999 and asked them to pop up to Waitrose for some quinoa. Ive got someone coming around to lunch and I have nothing else in.

I hope they pepper spray you, lock you up then pepper spray you again.

Quinoa is so last season, it's all about Teff now.

Peasant.

Actually black people are not overrepresented in the number of stop and searches they are underrepresented according to several research studies.

You cannot measure the % of black people in the population and compare it against the % of people stop and searched.

The stop and search procedure is used more often at times such as 3am rather than 3pm Thus you need to know the % of the active population on the streets at peak stop and search times and measure that against the % of black people stopped. The black % of the population on the streets at those times us much higher than the % of the black population.

In fact black people are underrepresented in the stop and search procedure.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission’s (IPCC) investigation into the death of Dalian Atkinson in Telford is continuing.

Mr Atkinson died following contact with police outside an address in Meadow Close, Trench on Monday 15 August. During the incident a Taser was discharged by an officer. Further analysis of the Taser is being conducted. The IPCC’s team of investigators has gathered statements from a number of witnesses.

A post mortem was held yesterday (Wednesday 17 August) and the cause of death was inconclusive. Further tests will be carried out. The IPCC is liaising with HM Coroner.

Two West Mercia Police officers have been advised they are under criminal investigation and are also being served with gross misconduct notices.

A criminal investigation does not mean that criminal charges will necessarily follow. The IPCC investigation is at an early stage and the position will be kept under review as the investigation progresses.

IPCC Commissioner Derrick Campbell said: “Having carefully considered the evidence gathered so far, we are undertaking a criminal investigation into the circumstances surrounding Mr Atkinson’s death and the level and type of force used. Two police officers will be interviewed under criminal caution by IPCC investigators.

“As this is a criminal investigation, the IPCC is limited in the amount of information which can be released into the public domain. I would ask people to be patient during the progress of our investigation and not to add to speculation about the circumstances of Mr Atkinson’s death. Speculation across the media as a whole can risk prejudice to the investigation process.

“We will keep Mr Atkinson’s family updated and our thoughts remain with all of those affected by his death.”

-Ends-

https://www.ipcc.gov.uk/news/update-investigation-police-contact-dalian-atkinson-prior-his-death

Hmmmm I can imagine May will try and wash her hands of this.

The Home Office is refusing to publish a report which appeared to warn police need better training in Taser use

The Government has been accused of covering up a report which warned that police needed urgent training on Tasers.

Home Secretary Amber Rudd must be hauled before the Home Affairs Select Committee to explain why the Home Office has been sitting for eight months on a report which apparently warned police may be using Tasers in an unsafe way, the Liberal Democrats have said.

And they said that the death of former Villa footballer Dalian Atkinson showed why it was essential that the findings were published.

The report was commissioned by the Home Office and produced by the Scientific Advisory Committee on the Medical Implications of Less-Lethal Weapons, an independent government-funded body.

It was received by the Home Office in December 2015 - but has not been published.

However, a hint about its findings came from the National Police Chief Council, which has seen an overview of the report and said that as a result it was urging that police forces “pay particular attention to specific training on the use of Taser in confined spaces.”

Watch Villa Park's emotional tribute to former Aston Villa striker Dalian Atkinson

At the same time, the influential chair of the Commons Home Affairs Committee, MP Keith Vaz, has called for a fresh review of police Taser policy, after it emerged that officers involved in the death of a former Premier League star had undergone just 18 hours of training.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/dalian-atkinson-home-office-accused-11761166

• 4 years later...

Trial of the officer accused of murdering Dalian Atkinson has begun.

Dalian Atkinson murder trial: Ex-footballer Tasered and kicked - BBC News

A murder-accused PC Tasered an ex-footballer for six times longer than is standard before kicking him twice in the head, a jury has heard.

PC Benjamin Monk is charged with the murder of Dalian Atkinson during an altercation in Shropshire in 2016.

He appeared at Birmingham Crown Court for the first day of his trial with co-accused PC Mary Ellen Bettley-Smith, who is charged with assault.

The former Aston Villa star died after he was Tasered for 33 seconds.

Prosecutors said the default setting for a Taser is five seconds but PC Monk, 42, continued to press the trigger, overriding the system for 33 seconds.

PC Monk and 31-year-old PC Bettley-Smith, officers with West Mercia Police, arrived at Mr Atkinson's father's house in Meadow Close, Telford, shortly before 01:30 BST on 15 August after neighbours had reported Mr Atkinson acting strangely and shouting in the street.

The court was told PC Monk tried to Taser Mr Atkinson, who had serious health problems, three times after he came to the door acting erratically and claiming to be the Messiah.

The first two attempts were ineffective but on the third Mr Atkinson fell to the ground.

While he was unresponsive, jurors heard the police officers "set about him".
PC Monk kicked him in the head with such force imprints of his boot laces were left in two parts of Mr Atkinson's forehead while Ms Bettley-Smith used her baton to strike him "a number of times" while he lay still in the road, the court was told.

This is our own homegrown George Floyd case, even more so given the victim was a beloved sporting figure rather than a career criminal, yet it hasn't received a fraction of the attention that the American incident did. I do find that really odd.

• Upvote 3