You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dalian Atkinson Killed by Cops

skend04

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

This is our own homegrown George Floyd case, even more so given the victim was a beloved sporting figure rather than a career criminal, yet it hasn't received a fraction of the attention that the American incident did. I do find that really odd.

Until you posted that above I had no idea about the details, if you'd asked me 20 minutes ago what happened I'd have just said he died after being tasered. 33 seconds and a hiding when he was unresponsive?! Bloody hell 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Until you posted that above I had no idea about the details, if you'd asked me 20 minutes ago what happened I'd have just said he died after being tasered. 33 seconds and a hiding when he was unresponsive?! Bloody hell 

Kicked in the head twice whilst he was unresponsive on the floor. Dear me, shocking.

On 04/05/2021 at 14:40, Strontium Dog™ said:

This is our own homegrown George Floyd case, even more so given the victim was a beloved sporting figure rather than a career criminal, yet it hasn't received a fraction of the attention that the American incident did. I do find that really odd.

Because,fortunately for us,its still a lot rarer than in the USA. Still a fuckin disgrace though.

• 1 month later...
54 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The police officer involved has been found guilty of manslaughter, but not guilty on the murder charge. 

He denied any ‘wrongdoing’! Does this mean he made a habit of kicking people in the head in the course of his work? Just horrific

• Upvote 4

Followed the trial and there was some good and bad. Firstly several police officers and a paramedic contradicted Monks version of events. They gave testimony Monk admitted at the scene to kicking Atkinson in the head and he had his foot resting on an incapacitated Atkinson when they arrived. So unlike some of the collusion we have seen historically this was a small step forward. The bad was the expert testimony of a training officer, who pretty much said despite not training officers to kick to the head - no body part was ruled out. Considering this was an unarmed person on the floor who had already been tasered for 33 seconds and didn't lay a finger on the officer that was proper grim stuff.

First active copper to be found guilty of manslaughter during his duties in over 30 years apparently.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Followed the trial and there was some good and bad. Firstly several police officers and a paramedic contradicted Monks version of events. They gave testimony Monk admitted at the scene to kicking Atkinson in the head and he had his foot resting on an incapacitated Atkinson when they arrived. So unlike some of the collusion we have seen historically this was a small step forward. The bad was the expert testimony of a training officer, who pretty much said despite not training officers to kick to the head - no body part was ruled out. Considering this was an unarmed person on the floor who had already been tasered for 33 seconds and didn't lay a finger on the officer that was proper grim stuff.

First active copper to be found guilty of manslaughter during his duties in over 30 years apparently.

Did it ever explain anywhere how he could have thought he was ‘in fear of his life’ when Dalian Atkinson was unarmed and he had a taser and whatever other restraints available to him. 
He came across really badly

25 minutes ago, Champ said:

Did it ever explain anywhere how he could have thought he was ‘in fear of his life’ when Dalian Atkinson was unarmed and he had a taser and whatever other restraints available to him. 
He came across really badly

I seem to remember he was saying Atkinson smashed some glass panel or something and moved toward the cops who ran away. He said he looked out of control. Also, the cops were a couple at the time.

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

I seem to remember he was saying Atkinson smashed some glass panel or something and moved toward the cops who ran away. He said he looked out of control. Also, the cops were a couple at the time.

Yeah he was rightly tasered for over a half a minute then booted to death. 

44 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Even if that was the case you have to wonder why he acted in that way towards them.

And don’t get me started on couples working together or one line managing the other

41 minutes ago, Champ said:

Even if that was the case you have to wonder why he acted in that way towards them.

And don’t get me started on couples working together or one line managing the other

That's what the cop said. Also, as I understand from the reports, that was not a traffic stop or a stop and search operation, the police were apparently called because Atkinson was out of control and possibly seen as a danger to the people in the house, so they didn't necessarily have to do much to provoke him. 

I was intrigued by the fact the cops were dating when this happened, I didn't know that was allowed, because that can change the dynamic of any police call. It may have changed it in this case.

10 minutes ago, SasaS said:

That's what the cop said. Also, as I understand from the reports, that was not a traffic stop or a stop and search operation, the police were apparently called because Atkinson was out of control and possibly seen as a danger to the people in the house, so they didn't necessarily have to do much to provoke him. 

I was intrigued by the fact the cops were dating when this happened, I didn't know that was allowed, because that can change the dynamic of any police call. It may have changed it in this case.

Absolutely but a huge part of Police work is attending challenging situations and responding to people in mental health crisis. A situation like this shouldn’t have been new to them. The whole thing stinks

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Champ said:

Absolutely but a huge part of Police work is attending challenging situations and responding to people in mental health crisis. A situation like this shouldn’t have been new to them. The whole thing stinks

True, the man ended up dead.

6 hours ago, Champ said:

So you’d imagine they’d get loads of training…

Id guess he’ll appeal and once the ex-footballer factor is removed from a jury it’ll be overturned.