You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite Steven Gerrard goals

RoyHodgeGone

I'm thinking here in pure technical terms so not necessarily ones that won games and some that might have been forgotten. Also ones that were beautifully caught by the cameras. And yes that also means goals for teams other than Liverpool.

1) Counter-attack goal against Spurs in 2003(?) Picks up the ball around halfway races past the defender and then smashes it in to the bottom corner.

2) Diving header in Champions League. The ball comes to him about 14 yards out and he dive heads it into the top corner. Love it.

3) World cup qualifier in Bulgaria I think about 2008. Casually side foots the ball in from about 25 yards!

4) Champions League game away from home about the same time. The ball was behind his feet but managed to curl it into the corner from 25 yards.

5) FA Cup tie against Luton. Love this one. Hits a shot from the right hand side of the area, looks near the goalkeeper till it swerves wickedly into the corner. Helped by the fact the camera angle couldn't have been positioned better by Steven Spielberg.

6) Half volley from 30 yards in the right wing position. Great technique into the top corner from about 2006. Again perfect camera.

7) FA Cup final vs West Ham. Nothing needs to be said. Last minute. One of the few goals that will never be forgotten.

8) Free kick at St James Park 2007. The barcodes wall seemed to be encroaching but it didn't matter as Stevie hit one from 30 yards that looked like it flew into the net.

9) Arsenal. League cup tie. In front of the Kop. Unfortunately we lost so no-one remembers it. But I think this is maybe his most under-rated. Adjusts his feet to hit a waist high half volley into the corner from the edge of the box.

10) Man United 2001. Lovely flick by Fowler followed by another shot that seemed to 'fly' into the net from 30 yards.

Just thinking there must also have been plenty of 'almost' amazing goals as well that hit the post/just missed produced a brilliant save. Those moments tend to get forgotten though!

Talking of nearly brilliant goals, I still remember him hitting a left footed volley from the edge of the box against Chelsea in a European Cup tie at Stamford Bridge where we ended up going out. Unfortunately Cech was in his in his pomp and saved it.

The obvious ones already mentioned but a few personal favourites:Free kick against Villa, opening day 07/08 absolutely stunning technique, his dink against Newcastle in the 5-1, goal against City in 2-2 under Rodgers and of course the header in 4-0 against the blue cunts.

• Upvote 1

The West Ham final two.

The derby cupped ear one at the pit.

The Boro one. It moved here, there and everywhere.

He got one against Sheffield United I think, where he practically set himself up. Passed it round the defender on one side, ran onto it around the other side and slotted it in.

The Marseille one. Amazing technique made to look easy.

The Inter one is a good shout too. Inch perfect finish.

I've just watched a YouTube clip of every Liverpool goal he scored.

Christ. He was some player.

There was a fair few penalties towards the end. While I wasn't entirely against him playing the holding, deeper playmaker role, the way he surged clear of the Stoke back line for his last goal for us, still makes me think he was a bit wasted in his last season with us.

That looper against Marsaille was immense because he had no fucking right to get it. I was watching it bemused for a few seconds thinking "did that just happen". Also, because it's such an unusual type of goal, and although his bread and butter 'long range drives' are impressive, he scored a huge amount of them, so it's harder to pick among them. Went Ham FA cup final has to be up there too though. For the goal and especially for all of the context surrounding the goal. Dying seconds. Cramp. Whimpering our of the final, after a great performance for him personally. He just wouldn't give up. I think that's the goal I've went the most nuts at, despite it not being a winner. Sheer disbelief.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...