You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The biggest gamble of the FSG reign ?

withnail71

http://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ListTop15Bought.aspx

9 out of our 10 most expensive players have been bought under FSG.  Five of them (Carroll, Benteke, Lallana, Lovren and Markovic), you have to say, we paid over the odds for.  The jury's still out on three of them (Mane, Firmino, Wijnaldum).  That leaves Suarez as the one occasion on which FSG can honestly say they got what they were hoping for when they sanctioned a big deal.

http://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ListTop15Bought.aspx

9 out of our 10 most expensive players have been bought under FSG.  Five of them (Carroll, Benteke, Lallana, Lovren and Markovic), you have to say, we paid over the odds for.  The jury's still out on three of them (Mane, Firmino, Wijnaldum).  That leaves Suarez as the one occasion on which FSG can honestly say they got what they were hoping for when they sanctioned a big deal.

£172m we've given Newcastle, Southampton, and Villa for six players there. £192m if you add Downing.

£37m we've given Chelsea, Inter, and PSG for Sturridge, Coutinho, and Sakho.

I know, sample sizesma, and Mane and Wiljnaldum have yet to kick a ball in anger for us (and I reckon they'll do okay), but the value seems to be in signing players that, for whatever reason, big teams don't need/want. As opposed to signing players from mid table (or worse) Premier League clubs that have just had their best season.

It's interesting, Klopp mentioned something when talking about the £100m Pogba story about buying next season's best player rather than this season's. We've basically been doing that, at a slightly lower level, for years. Hopefully the Mane and Wijnaldum transfers don't turn out to be the same.

• Upvote 1

True, but thinking that we couldn't spend more than we do is equally as daft.

Depends really. The teams people want us to replicate (as In Atletico) are in a completely different ball park to us in terms of attracting players.

£172m we've given Newcastle, Southampton, and Villa for six players there. £192m if you add Downing.

£37m we've given Chelsea, Inter, and PSG for Sturridge, Coutinho, and Sakho.

I know, sample sizesma, and Mane and Wiljnaldum have yet to kick a ball in anger for us (and I reckon they'll do okay), but the value seems to be in signing players that, for whatever reason, big teams don't need/want. As opposed to signing players from mid table (or worse) Premier League clubs that have just had their best season.

It's interesting, Klopp mentioned something when talking about the £100m Pogba story about buying next season's best player rather than this season's. We've basically been doing that, at a slightly lower level, for years. Hopefully the Mane and Wijnaldum transfers don't turn out to be the same.

But then again United have been shopping in where you say the value is but have been as bad as us the past three years yet Spurs have done the opposite and nearly won the league last season. There is no definitive path in coming from where we are in this league.

We could try and sign someone like Isco from Real Madrid and he could flop or Grujic could become like Delle Alli last season. There is no guarantee of what will work. 

But then again United have been shopping in where you say the value is but have been as bad as us the past three years yet Spurs have done the opposite and nearly won the league last season. There is no definitive path in coming from where we are in this league.

We could try and sign someone like Isco from Real Madrid and he could flop or Grujic could become like Delle Alli last season. There is no guarantee of what will work. 

United are probably the only club on the planet worse than us at transfers, I don't think they're particularly reflective of any "system/philosophy" of transfers.

I don't agree with your assessment of Spurs either. They aren't buying all their players from mid table Premier League clubs. Lloris, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Heung-Min, Janssen, Lamela, Fazio, Chadli, and Eriksen were all signed from abroad. This is complimented by a decent academy producing players, and a couple of signings of young English players. It's nothing like what we've been doing at all.

Most expensive signings of Summer 2015

1.  Raheem Sterling

2. Christian Benteke

3. Roberto Firmino

4. Morgan Schneiderlin

5. Memphis Depay

Most expensive signings of January 2015

1. Wilfried Bony

2. Juan Cuadrado

3. Gabriel Paulista

4. Ryan Bertrand

Most expensive signings 2013-14

1.  Angel di maria

2.  Juan Mata

3.  Alexis Sanchez

4.  Eliaquim Mangala

5.  Diego Costa

Most expensive signings Summer 2013

1. Mesut Ozil

2. Fernandinho

3. Willian.

4. Marouane Fellaini

5. Roberto Soldado

It really is a mixed bag.  I don't know whether you really do get better chances of success by spending upwards of £30m than you would in the £15m - £25m range.

It really is a mixed bag.  I don't know whether you really do get better chances of success by spending upwards of £30m than you would in the £15m - £25m range.

Well, it depends entirely on where you spend that money. If you spend upwards of £30m buying players from other Premier League clubs then you tend to get a £15m - £25m player anyway.

who like? kenny?

suarez wasnt tearing up trees then like he was under rodgers so maybe rodgers had a part in him becoming the player he was and is.

To be fair if even a small proportion of the shots that Suarez had hitting the bar and posts with had gone in that season would have looked completely different. 

To be fair if even a small proportion of the shots that Suarez had hitting the bar and posts with had gone in that season would have looked completely different. 

I'm prepared to give Rodgers the benefit of the doubt on this one, even if it was just getting him to shoot slightly straighter.  And I'm prepared to do that because I'm also prepared to blame him for the dozens of insipid performances 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think Rodgers deserves a lot of credit for that season. He fostered that attacking freedom. And lots of other shit that followed the season after.

I'm prepared to give Rodgers the benefit of the doubt on this one, even if it was just getting him to shoot slightly straighter.  And I'm prepared to do that because I'm also prepared to blame him for the dozens of insipid performances 

I wasn't so much having a pop at Rodgers as pointing out that although Suarez didn't score as many in the Kenny season it was arguably more a fluke than simply Kenny not getting the best out of him.

Let's face it, it's not as if Suarez was playing like a donkey that year, he just wasn't quite as sharp with his finishing as he had been before and after that. 

I just wish we hadn't signed Carroll the same window as Suarez, if we'd bought players to build around Suarez rather than players to supply Carroll we'd quite possibly be in a very different position right now. 

• Upvote 1

I was expecting this to be a Jp post....

poor JP manfully taking on almost the entire forum. where he gets the time and energy from I ll never know. I agree with some of what he says about rodgers because while brendan had to go when 95% of fans wanted him out, some of what is said about him is embarrassing. many of those slagging him now are the same people who would have been wanking over him 2.5 years ago.

no matter how much you denigrate rodgers liverpool career you can't rewrite what he done and didnt do here. if we laugh it all off its like it never happened? theres truth in what everyone says about him but its all been said many times over at this stage.

I wasn't so much having a pop at Rodgers as pointing out that although Suarez didn't score as many in the Kenny season it was arguably more a fluke than simply Kenny not getting the best out of him.

Let's face it, it's not as if Suarez was playing like a donkey that year, he just wasn't quite as sharp with his finishing as he had been before and after that.

I just wish we hadn't signed Carroll the same window as Suarez, if we'd bought players to build around Suarez rather than players to supply Carroll we'd quite possibly be in a very different position right now.

think kenny was going for a tosh keegan type partnership

There were a few writing Suarez off as a 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 striker nothing more when he first got here.