You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What has to be achieved for 16/17 to be a good season

spot on. this squad have been involved in league challenges, cup semi finals, cup finals, Europe. they have plenty of experience from last 3 seasons. we have consistently got to at least the last 4 of major cup comps. yes they have bottled it time and again but this is the challenge for klopp to turn them into winners. he obviously thinks he can do it with them.

So they are bottlers then...

I see the problem now as I didn't put a question mark in the thread title, I was asking the question not saying my first post is the way it is.Thats why I was saying earlier on noone was answering the question, my mistake.

You stated

"a strong challenge for fourth up until the end has to be the minimum requirement"

and by stating

"We sacked a manager who challenged for cl spots in his worst season"

you implied Klopp should also be sacked if he failed to attain the minimum requirement of 4th place.

You massive tart

Top 4 has to be our main criteria anything outside of that disappointing. A lot will depend how quickly 3 of the big guns managers settle. Will Leicester still be up there now committed to Europe, Spurs  and Arsenal a big threat., but again European football, may take its toll. 

So we are one of the 7 teams who should be fighting it out for top 4 slot. 

A great season if we make it a decent season if we are there or there a bouts. Out of the running by Xmas disappointing. 

Klopp came in three months in to the season, you can't say Klopp improved the team when he played so many more games that season.If you want to we could say we were closer to the top 4 points wise when Rodgers left compared to at the end of the season.

Facts are it took Rodgers 6 months to get us ready to challenge for cl spots and 24 months to challenge for the title.In his worst season he challenged for cl and got more points than we had last season, he was sacked 3 months in to his last season when everything was still possible.

Fans said he wasn't up to it and most wanted the man who replaced him, he's had months to assess the squad and should be making signings this summer to ensure we get cl football next season.If he doesn't atleast put up a strong challenge for top 4 while we are not in Europe it will have been a poor season.

As for Farenhooker saying I'm Karius as I said I'll let people decide for themselves, all it takes is common sense to work it out.

This is the equivalent of YouTube footage for the Gimp XI thread........

yes and I'd have shed no tears of him binning the lot of them but he hasn't so I support his decision.

We have to don't we...but i just don't know how you stop people being bottlers...you can train people to be stronger, faster, fitter and better at something...it is much harder to give people a set of bollocks for when it matters - people either have them or they don't...

I can see Klopp getting to the stage where he fucking hates some of the losers he has and falls out with them/jibs them....hopefully then he will replace them with proper grown men with the bollocks for a fight.

A good season:

Top 4

Don't really care much about the domestic cups at this moment. If we should be losing sight of top 4, I'll welcome a cup run (or two), but it's all about the league for me this year. If we finish just outside top 4 it won't necessarily have been a bad season (if everyone of our competitors click into gear it will be a struggle). 70 points should be a realistic target. If we can get to that I won't be too unhappy even if we miss out on CL football.

I think we'll do it (top 4) by the way. The lack of Euro football should help us play Klopp's high-tempo game even more effectively in his 2nd season. Think we'll surprise quite a few people this season. We don't have too many star names, but I think we'll be more cohesive, and we're building a side with great pace and stamina. Our incomings and reported targets all fit the bill of a more physical side than what we've had since Houllier left us.

Pretty much where I am, I think not having to play 15 midweek european games as we did last season should put us, and Chelsea for that matter, at a significant advantage. Mourinho will probably not bother much with the Europa League so they will likely prosper too, unfortunately.

The 4 clubs in the CL may well struggle even more than they did last season, especially before Christmas when the fight hasn't yet been beaten out of the also rans. Of the CL clubs last season only Arsenal and City, by a slim margin, managed to scrape back into the top 4. This issue might be even more pronounced next season. Am I the only one who thinks City haven't yet done much to revamp their squad yet? Guardiola might well find our league a bit of an ordeal as he's never had to worry about any more than a handful of genuinely competitive domestic games a season in Spain and Germany before. Unless they strengthen a lot before the end of August they'd be my favourites to miss out on the top 4 next season.

If Klopp is what we hope he is I'd expect to see us evolve a much more cohesive playing style as the season progresses. Far fewer stupid defensive mistakes and the development of a real understanding between the players. If we don't get top 4 without the distraction of european football I won't fancy our chances of doing much better the season after if we're in the Europa League again.

• Upvote 1

Target: top 4 and/or a trophy.  Get that and it's a success.

Minimum acceptable: 5th-7th

Anything lower than that, unless there are some massive extenuating circumstances, and we start to really think about Klopp's tenure.  But that's no different from any other manager, really.

I don't think we have anything to worry about.  I know there are a lot on this forum who think our transfer business has been a disaster and we're doomed, but I actually think that Klopp has us in with a good shot at top 4.  If Karius can be above average that's a 10 point swing on last season right there, a bit of luck with finishing and injuries (and you'd have to imagine we'll do better there with no European games) and we should be right up near 70-75 points.

Plus I think we'll have some money after all these sales to go after maybe one big signing if we need on in January.  I really expect us to improve quite a bit this year.  Will it be enough for top 4 next year?  I don't know, but I'd be very surprised if we weren't consistently top 4 within 3-4 seasons if Klopp stays.

Whereas I think the question being asked is a fair one and normal one for this time of the season I also think it is clear that the opening poster would like some pressure to be applied on the manager ready and that's where he and almost everyone else differ.

If we have a poor season it won't change my mind about wanting to give the manager time I'm not ready to give up on him after what would be just over 18 months in charge.

We gave Rogers three years with no real background in management to speak off so I would gladly give Klopp at least five years before I agitated for a change.

Sorry JP.

• Upvote 1

Benitez- 5 seasons, top 4 in 4 of those and a title challenge, plus an FA Cup and European Cup and number one ranked side in Europe.

Roy Evans- multiple title challenges, classy attacking football and some trophies.

Houllier- one title challenge along with a cup treble.

Rodgers- three seasons with 300 millions pound spent, one title challenge where we conceded 50+ goals, failure to get top four in two of those seasons and not even a final contested= "best manager in Premier League era."

That's some proper retard/troll logic.

No mention of all the money Benitez wasted on unflushable shite. Nope no agenda here. No siree...

• Downvote 2

No mention of all the money Benitez wasted on unflushable shite. Nope no agenda here. No siree...

Torres, Reina, Mascherano, Alonso, Arbeloa et al proved to be pretty flushable in the end. Plus, we got a European Cup out of the Benitez era. But then again, you're clearly not a Liverpool supporter, so I guess that probably angers you.

Sadass.

That's not even quality trolling.  You really need to up your game here. 

Whatever you're trying to achieve, you simply come across as a sad desperate twat.

Are you a blueshite or something ?

• Upvote 1

I saw a similar thread on rawk the other day and was amazed to see fans saying 5-6th would be considered a good season.Maybe they were all behind Rodgers and didn't want him sacked, the fans who did want him to go must surely agree with what I said.

Why would we get rid of a manager and then be happy with a manager who does worse in the league.Ive been fair to Klopp as I could be saying we should challenge, fans thought Rodgers only challenged because of no European games so Klopp should atleast be able to challenge for fourth.

Rodgers done it in his worst season when he had a injury and confidence crisis, he had also given teams a big head start as we didn't start playing until January and we were in Europe.

Who's this "Rodgers" bloke, JP?

I saw a similar thread on rawk the other day and was amazed to see fans saying 5-6th would be considered a good season.Maybe they were all behind Rodgers and didn't want him sacked, the fans who did want him to go must surely agree with what I said.

Why would we get rid of a manager and then be happy with a manager who does worse in the league.Ive been fair to Klopp as I could be saying we should challenge, fans thought Rodgers only challenged because of no European games so Klopp should atleast be able to challenge for fourth.

Rodgers done it in his worst season when he had a injury and confidence crisis, he had also given teams a big head start as we didn't start playing until January and we were in Europe.

Who's this "Rodgers" bloke, Karius?

• Upvote 4

JermainePennant

PipPipPip

4,596 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:28 PM

I'm talking about the season before that, when Rodgers left we were not out of the race for fourth.In fact we were in a very good position to get it as most of our hard games were out of the way.

I see no one has gave their answer which says to me they don't have much confidence in us even putting up a strong challenge for fourth.People are prepared to accept a Europa league spot but were not willing to accept that from a manager who had challenged for the league the season before.I can't understand the reasons, if a manager is sacked for finishing in a certain position I would expect the new manager to be able to better that or if not what was the point in sacking the last one.

+

-

FUCK I Repped this by mistake.

MultiQuote

• Upvote 1

Read through the thread and you will see I did reply to Kal, Em listed managers at LFC who did well.I liked all the ones he mentioned and wanted none of them to go at the times they did, when I said Rodgers did the best in the prem era I am

obviously talking about in the league.The only time we had it in our own hands was under Rodgers, under GH and Rafa we needed teams to fuck up for us to have a chance.

Not really, but no matter.

You're persisting with an argument that I'm still not sure what your evidence is based on. The premier league era has been competitive during GH and Rafa's time and let's not forget that the same teams have consistently won the league since 1992. When we finished second in 08/09, the league wasn't easier than it is now.  In the last 10 seasons roughly, the top four has been Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal. The emergence of City in the last four seasons, has added another relatively consistent title winner/competitor, but not much else has changed since Swansea was promoted. 

We have very limited opportunities to win the league. Those chances haven't become progressively worse because the teams that have won the league consistently since 1992 are still in the premier league and are still hard to beat. For instance 07/08 there was a 2 point difference between 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.There must have been some luck involved in that and some clubs messed up along the way, other clubs took advantage. It happens in many seasons and will continue to happen. This season, of the consistent top four challengers, City and Utd have new managers, so perhaps there'll be some issues there which other clubs can take advantage of.

I've never understood why 2013/14 was seen as our best chance to win the league. We've finished second before after having challenged for a title. We were better organised in defence back then. Hopefully, we're addressing those past issues this season so that we can start becoming a consistent performer and challenger again.

Rodgers chucked his backroom staff under the bus to save his own skin.

He's also the only Liverpool manager not to win anything in his first 3 seasons.

Tells you everything you need to know about him as a man and a manager.

He should never be mentioned in the same breath as Klopp.

• Upvote 2