You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Noticable cost of living increases

Elite

It's not just cost but quality/portions are reducing.

Got a multi pack of crisps the other day which usually have six in them and now they have five. Fuck are you supposed to do with five unless you're the Jacksons? 

My only vice is party mix. I've had two bags, one from asda and one my cousin got me from Aldi and both were stale, like completely stale.

Can't remember the last time we saw decent quality fruit anywhere either, it's mostly garbage.

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

It's not just cost but quality/portions are reducing.

Got a multi pack of crisps the other day which usually have six in them and now they have five. Fuck are you supposed to do with five unless you're the Jacksons? 

My only vice is party mix. I've had two bags, one from asda and one my cousin got me from Aldi and both were stale, like completely stale.

Can't remember the last time we saw decent quality fruit anywhere either, it's mostly garbage.

Seems to be the case with almost everything. Either the price has gone up, or if the price has stayed the same then the portion size has decreased. 

Still, the majority of large corporations have announced larger revenues and higher gross profit margins. So remember kids, the money printer and supply chain arguments are mostly bullshit. It's just a huge case of almost every large company in the world deciding "fuck it, let's rinse every fucker blind". 

• Upvote 1

Recently moved house and have been investigating the local chippies for future use. Fuck me I hadnt kept an eye on prices recently and it's ridiculous. Most 'normal' meals like Curry Chicken are about £8 and one cheeky shower are adding 50p on if you want chips or boiled rice.

• Upvote 1

Just now, sir roger said:

It won't be that regular to be fair, Mook, particularly in light of bills etc.

A lot of food places are going to go out of business, along with pubs and other non-essential entertainment type places.

6 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Recently moved house and have been investigating the local chippies for future use. Fuck me I hadnt kept an eye on prices recently and it's ridiculous. Most 'normal' meals like Curry Chicken are about £8 and one cheeky shower are adding 50p on if you want chips or boiled rice.

I bought tofu in black bean sauce with egg fried rice, mushroom curry with noodles, veg spring rolls and 2 sweetcorn soup from my local Chinese in March, cost £25.30. The identical order in June was £28.10, an 11% rise.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mook said:

Eating out or ordering takeaways are a complete no no for me now. I have a food budget of £35 per week, maximum. Living near a Lidl has helped massively.

I was operating on £15 per week until the last few months and I now have a £20 per week max even with cutting back even further on. Fuel is the killer for me as I have one regular bit of work and it's a 120 mile round trip. Way things are going it's going to be a case of probably spending less than £20 per week on shopping and eating as little as I can get away with. 

I swear I'm fucking cursed to be skint for the rest of my life.

Split up with my ex and moved back up North from Portsmouth with a ton of debt, worked my way getting back to being sorted out and on an even keel, 2008 hits and the company I worked for supplied into new builds. Work dried up and as the biggest expenses one of the other engineers who subbed and I were first out the door.

Got a job at HMRC and was there for about 4 years before the cuts as a result of 2008 meant getting made redundant and ended up fucked once again and was back to square one as I couldn't afford the mortgage on my own.

Decided fuck it, sold up, bought my parents out of their house so I was at least mortgage free and went to Uni. Wasn't earning much but was managing in year one, took on some extra bits of work and business side was starting to build up and going somewhere again and Covid hit during which I was entitled to fuck all help as the business had been a bag of shite for a couple of years. 

Done with Uni and all set to go with the business full time again and the cost of everything has gone absolutely fucking mental.

If it wasn't for being mortgage free, I'd be totally fucked right now. 

As it is, I'm stuck in a weird limbo that I actually have a really good pension so my retirement is more or less sorted. I've just somehow got to manage to muddle through the 20 off years (probably more like 30 if they keep raising retirement age) with everything being a massive struggle.

I'm pretty pinko lefty liberal and all the rest of it, but seeing seemingly the entire country get a helping hand during Covid while I was entitled to fuck all and now being in the position that I am likely going to end up paying increased taxes if I do actually manage to survive this shit to pay for all the help I wasn't entitled to in addition to being fucked over twice because of bailing out the banks it's pretty difficult not to just go "fuck it" sell everything up, declare fuck all of the money and piss off abroad somewhere like Asia and never come back.

As far as I can see, my options currently if I want to be anything other than basically scraping by are back to working on items designed to turn people into mince or back into finance shit. Both of which I absolutely fucking hated. 

It would be nice to actually use my powers for good instead of evil at some point. That and being able to walk into a supermarket without spending most of the visit trying to decide what stuff I can allow myself to buy this week. 

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Chairman Meow said:

I was operating on £15 per week until the last few months and I now have a £20 per week max even with cutting back even further on. Fuel is the killer for me as I have one regular bit of work and it's a 120 mile round trip. Way things are going it's going to be a case of probably spending less than £20 per week on shopping and eating as little as I can get away with. 

Split up with my ex and moved back up North from Portsmouth with a ton of debt, worked my way getting back to being sorted out and on an even keel, 2008 hits and the company I worked for supplied into new builds. Work dried up and as the biggest expenses one of the other engineers who subbed and I were first out the door.

Got a job at HMRC and was there for about 4 years before the cuts as a result of 2008 meant getting made redundant and ended up fucked once again and was back to square one as I couldn't afford the mortgage on my own.

Decided fuck it, sold up, bought my parents out of their house so I was at least mortgage free and went to Uni. Wasn't earning much but was managing in year one, took on some extra bits of work and business side was starting to build up and going somewhere again and Covid hit during which I was entitled to fuck all help as the business had been a bag of shite for a couple of years. 

Done with Uni and all set to go with the business full time again and the cost of everything has gone absolutely fucking mental.

As it is, I'm stuck in a weird limbo that I actually have a really good pension so my retirement is more or less sorted. I've just somehow got to manage to muddle through the 20 off years (probably more like 30 if they keep raising retirement age) with everything being a massive struggle.

I'm pretty pinko lefty liberal and all the rest of it, but seeing seemingly the entire country get a helping hand during Covid while I was entitled to fuck all and now being in the position that I am likely going to end up paying increased taxes if I do actually manage to survive this shit to pay for all the help I wasn't entitled to in addition to being fucked over twice because of bailing out the banks it's pretty difficult not to just go "fuck it" sell everything up, declare fuck all of the money and piss off abroad somewhere like Asia and never come back.

As far as I can see, my options currently if I want to be anything other than basically scraping by are back to working on items designed to turn people into mince or back into finance shit. Both of which I absolutely fucking hated. 

It would be nice to actually use my powers for good instead of evil at some point. That and being able to walk into a supermarket without spending most of the visit trying to decide what stuff I can allow myself to buy this week. 

It's not fair is it.

I would add to my initial post that the reason my food budget is so small is so I can afford to save a wee bit, do nice things with my kids at the weekend & go for the odd pint with my mates. A lot of people are far worse off than me.

Putting food back on the shelf because it costs too much gets pretty depressing right enough.

2 hours ago, Chairman Meow said:

Hope things turn up for the better for you. If I could give any advice it would be however much you put into your pension, try and put more in because once retired, you're at the back of the queue for everything.

3 hours ago, Chairman Meow said:

Might be a stupid idea, I've not really thought it through, but why not re-mortgage/get a loan on your house whilst rates are still quite low? It will get you through the next few years when hopefully things will improve for you.  

Obviously only for the pro-beaners, but the price of Heinz Baked Beans has soared recently. A single tin will set you back £1.20 now.

With that said, you can get a dozen cans for £8, which is about 67p per can. But if you've limited funds, it's harder to buy in bulk. It only serves to highlight how expensive it can actually be to be poor.

I don't know if anyone does this already, but I wonder if there is space for some tool to help people pool funds to buy in quantity (like a Groupon for essentials) and take advantage of bulk discounts.

1 minute ago, Strontium said:

Obviously only for the pro-beaners, but the price of Heinz Baked Beans has soared recently. A single tin will set you back £1.20 now.

With that said, you can get a dozen cans for £8, which is about 67p per can. But if you've limited funds, it's harder to buy in bulk. It only serves to highlight how expensive it can actually be to be poor.

I don't know if anyone does this already, but I wonder if there is space for some tool to help people pool funds to buy in quantity (like a Groupon for essentials) and take advantage of bulk discounts.

That's a good idea.

1 minute ago, Strontium said:

I’ve been a Heinz man from way back.

Whilst shopping in my local Morrisons, earlier this week, I noted that a tin of Branston Beans and Sausages were significantly cheaper than the Heinz version so I bit the bullet. 

I must say I was impressed. I might not ever go back. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Sam Vine Boots Theory.

Good idea on the bulk buying SD, we've discussed doing something like that amongst a group of friends.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

I’ve been a Heinz man from way back.

Whilst shopping in my local Morrisons, earlier this week, I noted that a tin of Branston Beans and Sausages were significantly cheaper than the Heinz version so I bit the bullet. 

I must say I was impressed. I might not ever go back. 

You’re too old to make such a drastic change. It’s the pulses in tomato sauce equivalent of emigrating or becoming gay,  you can change when you’re young but post middle age you are committed to Heinz now.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/01/18/armed-robber-brussels-give-money-back/

An armed robber in Belgium handed back his loot to a shopkeeper after he explained there was not much worth stealing because back-to-back crises had blighted the business.

Michael Thill, the manager of the Le Cellier de Vinalgros in Brussels, described the moment the masked bandit burst into his wine shop wielding a gun.

The assailant demanded staff empty the till, but handed back the €110 (£96) in cash after taking pity on the shopkeeper who explained the business had been left cash-strapped by the Covid pandemic and the cost-of-living crisis.

“The robber asked us for cash – we only had €110 to give him, but he insisted while threatening us with his gun to give him more, believing that there was a lot of money elsewhere,” Mr Thill said.

“We then explained to him that the situation of small shopkeepers was very dire, that after having paid all our charges, salaries, taxes and other expenses, we had nothing left. We also explained to him that there was no more cash in circulation, because of the successive crises and because the few people who spent money with us paid by card.”

The robber, who was wearing a motorbike helmet to obscure his face, then told them to keep the money and asked for directions to leave the store.

While he didn’t fire his weapon, the staff were left shaken by the incident and later filed a police report with CCTV footage of the suspect.

“I almost felt that he felt sorry for us and the sad reality we are in today,” the manager added.

Belgian businesses were once cash rich, with no legislation forcing them to accept card payments.

But in the wake of multiple Covid lockdowns, the government introduced new legislation making it mandatory for firms to accept bank cards, a move believed to prevent tax evasion and pay for the impact of the pandemic on its finances.

Mr Thill said he was thankful that the robber had left the money and did not break anything in the store, but joked: “I sincerely believe that a retraining is urgently needed for all the little robbers who relied on us small businesses to survive.”