You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Noticable cost of living increases

Elite

4 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

That's true. Barely a day goes by where I don't have to think about an Oxbow lake. 

I'd rather be balls deep in debt, starving in a freezing house than not know the difference between a stalagmite and a stalactite if I'm honest mate. 

People are fucking stupid as well, a monkey could work out that borrowing is bad & saving is good.

You shouldn't need schools to teach people that although there should definitely be stuff on finance brought in.

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

People are fucking stupid as well, a monkey could work out that borrowing is bad & saving is good.

You shouldn't need schools to teach people that although there should definitely be stuff on finance brought in.

And yet and yet, what has been the point of saving when interest has barely existed for a generation and even before the current dramatic increases, inflation was higher than any interest accrued

5 minutes ago, Mook said:

Really? Mate 18 year olds get offered store cards when buying a t-shirt with interest rates through the roof but the option of going and spending another 3/500 quid in the shop right now. Banks saying here you go you can have an overdraft/loan it will be in your account as you walk out the door. Come on lad. It's a trap far too many fall in and struggle to get out of. 

Schools should be warning against this shit. So should parents of course but.... a bit more education about the pitfalls..... 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Really? Mate 18 year olds get offered store cards when buying a t-shirt with interest rates through the roof but the option of going and spending another 3/500 quid in the shop right now. Banks saying here you go you can have an overdraft/loan it will be in your account as you walk out the door. Come on lad. It's a trap far too many fall in and struggle to get out of. 

Schools should be warning against this shit. So should parents of course but.... a bit more education about the pitfalls..... 

I don't know, I was always brought up to be prudent. I've never understood why people get credit cards and what have you other than utter desperation.

My missus was always saying to me 'Everybody else in the World buys things on credit' & I used to say take a walk down the street and look at 'everybody', they're fucking morons. Working class people in this country are their own worst enemy, they revel in ignorance. It's why we're saddled with those cunts in Westminster.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mook said:

I don't know, I was always brought up to be prudent. I've never understood why people get credit cards and what have you other than utter desperation.

My missus was always saying to me 'Everybody else in the World buys things on credit' & I used to say take a walk down the street and look at 'everybody', they're fucking morons. Working class people in this country are their own worst enemy, they revel in ignorance. It's why we're saddled with those cunts in Westminster.

To be fair you don't get the round in .......

Joke mate before you lose your hair. 

14 minutes ago, Champ said:

And yet and yet, what has been the point of saving when interest has barely existed for a generation and even before the current dramatic increases, inflation was higher than any interest accrued

You're right, low interest or more accurately, non existent interest rates has encouraged people to spend and borrow more rather than save.

But, inflation also occurrs when too much money chases too few goods. We've had a perfect storm in the last few years where people couldnt spend as they did and supply chains ground to a virtual halt.

When those restrictions lifted, people wanted to spend but the goods, holidays, cars and even food stuffs were not available to meet demand. So the price of what was available went up and continues to go up as demand out strips supply.

It's a vicious cycle to break because as the price of everything goes up, people naturally need and want their pay to increase so they can keep pace which in turn, also feed the inflationary pressure.

It's another reason why interest rate rises are made but tend to be a blunt instrument because they affect the less well off first and more heavily as price rises take a greater share of their limited money.

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

You're right, low interest or more accurately, non existent interest rates has encouraged people to spend and borrow more rather than save.

But, inflation also occurrs when too much money chases too few goods. We've has a perfect storm in the last few years where people couldnt spend as they did and supply chains ground to a virtual halt.

When those restrictions lifted, people wanted to spend but the goods, holidays, cars and even food stuffs were not available to meet demand. So the price of what was available went up and continues to go up as demand out strips supply.

It's a vicious cycle to break because as the price of everything goes up, people naturally need and want their pay to increase so they can keep pace. it's another reason why interest rate rises are made but tend to be a blunt instrument because they affect the less well off first and more heavily as price rises take a greater share of their limited money.

All at the end of a prolonged period since 2008 when huge sections of the population have seen their real incomes falling quite significantly.

We’ll all be off for de-radicalisation if we say much more

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

To be fair you don't get the round in .......

Joke mate before you lose your hair. 

I wish I had enough money to get a hair transplant, they're probably £10k now, the bastards.

38 minutes ago, Mook said:

I'm the same, and in fairness my missus has come to the same conclusion.

You do miss out on things. We don't go on holiday every year, and we haven't been abroad since 2009. We've got the mortgage and a car loan, but everything else we save up for.

We're desperate for a new bathroom and new light fittings in the living room. They'll probably get done this year and if they do its paid out of our savings.

4 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Somebody once told me that if it flys, floats or fucks you should rent it by the hour. I think the first 2 are sound advice. 

Yeah, there's no way I'd need a full hour for the last one.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, sir roger said:

Tites always come down !!

Mites - might Reach the ceiling 

tites - have to hang on tight 

And there’s nothing wrong with appreciation of oxbow lakes and meanders either.

In my last job I had to regularly visit Cuckmere Haven. Like a geography lesson everyday that place, cliff falls, coastal erosion and river course/flooding changes

98D6F1DB-0B79-48E5-A06E-F411C158D4CE.jpeg

18D3AC9B-94FA-418A-8E3F-F9402315ECB9.jpeg

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I'd rather be balls deep in debt, starving in a freezing house than not know the difference between a stalagmite and a stalactite if I'm honest mate. 

How do you tell the difference, gotta have a system.

2609.jpg

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Mook said:

I agree with the general view Mook but there are a couple of other reasons to own a credit card - the protection it gives against big purchases and for use abroad. I do both but always pay off the amount each month, it's not about the credit for me. I'm fortunate that I grew up with financially savvy parents, who often had little money, and my Mum was a bookkeeper so taught us well in managing and recording money. That's not to say we don't indulge sometimes!

32 minutes ago, RJ Fan club said:

Mites - might Reach the ceiling 

tites - have to hang on tight 

And there’s nothing wrong with appreciation of oxbow lakes and meanders either.

In my last job I had to regularly visit Cuckmere Haven. Like a geography lesson everyday that place, cliff falls, coastal erosion and river course/flooding changes

98D6F1DB-0B79-48E5-A06E-F411C158D4CE.jpeg

18D3AC9B-94FA-418A-8E3F-F9402315ECB9.jpeg

Cuckmere Haven sounds like a swingers paradise 

Unsecured debt shouldn’t be worried about. The bank won’t really do much, they’ll sell the debt to a 3rd Party but you don’t have to pay them either. 

I can never understand how “Recoveries” is a functional business. It basically relies on customers good nature.

Apart from a credit file impact, there is no real detriment to not paying an Unsecured debt. 

If you’re behind on Mortgage, say your suicidal & the bank is making you want to do it. Don’t ignore their communications, just keep re-iterating the point. 

I’m not going into specifics on all this, I’m happy for seasoned forumites to DM me. 

I would strongly suggest anybody in financial difficulties contact a debt manager company ASAP though. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Mook said:

Got a credit card a few years back for two reasons; Halifax CC gave amazing rates in the US at the time and you could have a huge OD in case anything happened beyond your control. And B, paying for stuff on it and paying it off immediately sent my credit score through the roof. 

Wouldn't use it to pay for things I didn't have the money for but has a last resort in an emergency or to bump up your credit for borrowing money it's a handy little thing.