You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

18 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Yeah, strange move

Going to a unstable club with old players and a manager on his way out in the near future. 

But when you have won everything to win, a good wage on offer, one of your best mates likely joining you a few years in Barcelona doesn't sound bad way to wrap up your top flight career really. Think Bayern would have been a better fit myself but winter in Germany or winter in Spain

Hoping his best mates are Keita, Karius and Origi.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

He might not have Champions League football if the news from a Spanish paper is accurate - Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus all to be banned from next seasons competition, plus a large fine, for their role in the European Super League plans. 

Sounds like their source is a blue taxi driver.

This one has really left me with twinge of sadness. That Barcelona game will always have a special place in my heart, it may in fact be one of the best experiences of my life, I don’t think anything could ever match it. It was sheer perfection.

Gini leaving represents the beginning of the breaking up of this wonderful group who delivered our hopes and dreams. It just feels like a great shame and underwhelming way for it to happen, but I guess that’s just life.

• Upvote 1

They reckon he is taking a pay cut to play for barcelona. So not sure why all the talk was about a new contract and improved wages on parity with higher earners at the club? Would we not give a 3 year deal on similar wages? Did he not accept it? Few questions about how it all ended IMO.

20 minutes ago, an tha said:

They reckon he is taking a pay cut to play for barcelona. So not sure why all the talk was about a new contract and improved wages on parity with higher earners at the club? Would we not give a 3 year deal on similar wages? Did he not accept it? Few questions about how it all ended IMO.

Surely he's getting a large signing on fee though.

From a financial aspect, it doesnt really matter if your 2 year contract on higher wages gives you a similar aggregated wedge as a 3 year deal on lower wages in my opinion. Personally, Id rather have the 2 year deal on higher wages so I could find something new at the end.

This Barcelona stuff has been perculating along for at least December. It seems to me he likely will get tax breaks as a foreign national playing in Spain. Dont they let top footballer's pay reduced tax for a couple of years or something?

Yes, great memories for the Barcelona game. Truth is, Im hard pushed to remember another stand out game from him. An honest hard working pro. Time to move on as I honestly believe we've had the best out of him.

Whether his replacement is Thiago or someone else, time will tell.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

From a financial aspect, it doesnt really matter if your 2 year contract on higher wages gives you a similar aggregated wedge as a 3 year deal on lower wages in my opinion. Personally, Id rather have the 2 year deal on higher wages so I could find something new at the end.

This Barcelona stuff has been perculating along for at least December. It seems to me he likely will get tax breaks as a foreign national playing in Spain. Dont they let top footballer's pay reduced tax for a couple of years or something?

Yes, great memories for the Barcelona game. Truth is, Im hard pushed to remember another stand out game from him. An honest hard working pro. Time to move on as I honestly believe we've had the best out of him.

Whether his replacement is Thiago or someone else, time will tell.

Negged. Scurrilous accusation.

7 hours ago, an tha said:

They reckon he is taking a pay cut to play for barcelona.

No, @Lee909 has already debunked this. He’s turned down a better wage elsewhere, which isn’t the same as taking a pay cut. 
He had offers from us, PSG, Barca and Inter. He didn’t take the most lucrative of those offers. That’s not the same as taking a pay cut. 
And if the biggest wage offer was from Inter then he might have had a sniff that their team is about to start falling to pieces..

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/may/26/antonio-conte-leaving-inter-over-plan-to-sell-80m-of-players

On 23/05/2021 at 19:31, Anubis said:

I shall now say goodbye to Wijnaldum in the style of RAWK but with a TLW touch.

Wiji Wiji Wiji Woo

It’s time to say goodbye to you

If you were a squirrel, in a tree

You would be the highest, see

If Philly Burkhill drew your face

In the Louvre it would have pride of place

A full-english breakfast is within your means

And you always have it without beans

You made Messi look like pants

And so you leave with all our thanks

So Wiji Wiji Wiji Woo

Goodbye and much good luck to you

Hahahahahahahahajahahahahahahaha Absolutely brilliant 

Wijnaldum has stated the real reasons behind his departure from Liverpool will be revealed eventually.

The midfielder played his last game for the Reds in the 2-0 victory over Crystal Palace on 23rd May. With his contract set to expire at the end of June and an extension unable to be agreed, that win brought his time at Anfield to end.

It was thought that an inability to agree on contract length and wages meant a new deal was not agreed. But Wijnaldum has hinted that there is more to it than that.

“I am still busy saying goodbye to Liverpool,” he said. “I am still emotional because I got a goodbye that not many players got before me.

“Why I left, you will hear again. It will come out. The club also has to do with the fact that I am gone.”

Wijnaldum had been on Merseyside since 2016 after joining from Newcastle. He played 237 games in that time, scoring 22 goals. That, of course, included a crucial double against Barcelona in the 2019 Champions League semi-final.

He started in the final as Jurgen Klopp’s side went on to win the tournament, while he was also a key figure in the club’s Premier League title success in 2019/20.

3 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Has signed for PSG for reportedly more than double the wedge his mate Ronnie was offering at Barcelona.

Great news.

Fuck Barcelona.

Well in Gini, lad. You deserve it.

Yea I'm of the opinion that I'd rather him at PSG than Barca. I've grown to really dislike Barca, mainly because they've turned into the same sort of club they always used to hate Real Madrid for being. Their star isn't shining so brightly at the moment so they haven't been quite as insufferable but they still can fuck off. I've got no love for PSG either but at least he's getting his money and with them he'll have a genuine shot at another CL trophy whether we like it or not. The only reason they aren't more highly regarded is because the rest of their league is largely trash and like the bundesliga whenever a side that isn't them wins it they sell off most of their players.

2 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Yea I'm of the opinion that I'd rather him at PSG than Barca. I've grown to really dislike Barca, mainly because they've turned into the same sort of club they always used to hate Real Madrid for being. Their star isn't shining so brightly at the moment so they haven't been quite as insufferable but they still can fuck off. I've got no love for PSG either but at least he's getting his money and with them he'll have a genuine shot at another CL trophy whether we like it or not. The only reason they aren't more highly regarded is because the rest of their league is largely trash and like the bundesliga whenever a side that isn't them wins it they sell off most of their players.

Barcelona have always been cunts. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Really disappointing to sign for a club like that. It's not a surprise but sad nonetheless.

I say fair play to him, he’s been under paid for a long time with us, he can now go make a bit of cash and more medals after earning his glory and he gets to live in an upscale part of Paris. 

yeah the club is funded by oil cheats but Barcelona aren’t exactly the good guys they just marketed themselves as that. 

im happy for him and hope he does well unless he’s playing against us.

24 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

I say fair play to him, he’s been under paid for a long time with us, he can now go make a bit of cash and more medals after earning his glory and he gets to live in an upscale part of Paris. 

yeah the club is funded by oil cheats but Barcelona aren’t exactly the good guys they just marketed themselves as that. 

im happy for him and hope he does well unless he’s playing against us.

'Underpaid' is not the word I'd ever use regarding today's top flight players at all. 

• Upvote 1