You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

3 hours ago, Arnaud said:

Milner is a leader, it’s priceless.

Wiknaldim is a good player, but he has more to loose than us really. 

He will be leaving a very good team for a middle range one in crisis should he go to Barcelona.

I suppose it depends what he wants from the final years of his career though. He's won the big trophies here and might just want to play in a different league to top it off, plus there's the personal loyalty to Koeman.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I suppose it depends what he wants from the final years of his career though. He's won the big trophies here and might just want to play in a different league to top it off, plus there's the personal loyalty to Koeman.

Barcelona will have a new president in a few months time, and that person will look to install a new coach. Personal loyalty to Koeman is one of many stupid reasons for Gini to even consider a move there.

If Koeman is a factor he's mad because as already pointed out, he's not going to be there long. They are going to lose Messi and undergo massive transition.

I expected this season to be Milners last for us. Klopp clearly has no faith in Shaqiri or Minamino. Keita cant be relied upon. Ox is 5-10 games away from injury. Oh, and Salah seems to want out.....

Other than that   

1 hour ago, Dave D said:

If Koeman is a factor he's mad because as already pointed out, he's not going to be there long. They are going to lose Messi and undergo massive transition.

I expected this season to be Milners last for us. Klopp clearly has no faith in Shaqiri or Minamino. Keita cant be relied upon. Ox is 5-10 games away from injury. Oh, and Salah seems to want out.....

Other than that   

5 to 10 games for the Ox, I take it he isn't playing in between 4 and 9 games in that scenario.

• Upvote 1

Unpopular opinion: The only downside to Gini moving on that is that we'll get no money for him.

Don't get me wrong. He isn't awful. He is a decent Premier League midfielder. No more than that.

He dwells on the ball and lacks composure in the box. You can point to his scoring record for his country - but his return for Liverpool is way too low. 

I know this won't be popular around here. We can do so much better in such a vital role, in a three man midfield. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Unpopular opinion: The only downside to Gini moving on that is that we'll get no money for him.

Don't get me wrong. He isn't awful. He is a decent Premier League midfielder. No more than that.

He dwells on the ball and lacks composure in the box. You can point to his scoring record for his country - but his return for Liverpool is way too low. 

I know this won't be popular around here. We can do so much better in such a vital role, in a three man midfield. 

Hard to disagree with that. Takes far too many touches on the ball only to lay it off or pass it sideways. Always ignores a pass forward when someone makes a run and doesn't really win the ball back too often. 

He's had some immense games in the big CL games where he tends to up his game and that has boosted his value in the team, majority of the run of the mill games he's largely anonymous. 

27 minutes ago, Jennings said:

I like Gini and Im really gutted he's run his contract down and looks like he's headed to sunnier climes.

Think him going will be a big loss.

59 minutes ago, ManéMan said:

Hard to disagree with that. Takes far too many touches on the ball only to lay it off or pass it sideways. Always ignores a pass forward when someone makes a run and doesn't really win the ball back too often. 

He's had some immense games in the big CL games where he tends to up his game and that has boosted his value in the team, majority of the run of the mill games he's largely anonymous. 

The ‘run of the mill’ games? Like losing 4 Prem games in 2 years, 2 of which we’d already won the League! Tell me, which run of the mill games do you actually mean? The man has been brilliant for us and to suggest otherwise tells us more about you. 

Absolute fantasy land that Milner is on 120k a week.  He was meant to be on 150k a week on his first deal which was massively inflated because he was a free transfer at the prime of his career.  This will have been instead of a signing on fee.  The club are tight as fuck and this hasn’t suddenly happened.  Milners first deal nearly ran out before he agreed a new one with the club which suggests the club weren’t exactly offering silly money then either.  There is absolutely no way he was getting offered 120k a week for 2 years at the age he was at.

He was 8 yards from goal yesterday and did what he usually does everywhere else on the pitch 90 times out of 100. Unless he's got no other choice he will always give responsibility to another player. He served the club as well as he could have done but there's no way there aren't better players than him out there. He can move on for free in the summer but he's not warranting of a contract with a hefty wage rise.

23 minutes ago, skend04 said:

He was 8 yards from goal yesterday and did what he usually does everywhere else on the pitch 90 times out of 100. Unless he's got no other choice he will always give responsibility to another player. 

We've got a few of them.  Thankfully Thiago isn't one of them. 

He’s been giving the ball away in positions where he usually would not do that the last few games. 

He’s been a bit slippy basically, or maybe tired. Its difficult to know exactly. 

I doubt the contract situation is helping. 

Looking round this forum today, you wouldn't think we've a proven track record with loads of our players. The forwards and Gini all getting slated while everyone heaps praise on Thiago. I find it really weird how quickly our supporters dismiss the value of players who have proven their worth and a lad who's barely kicked a ball for us, who's played 5 or 6 games and we've barely scored while he's on the pitch, who was completely fucking dominated by our midfield when we played against him is lauded like he's the 2nd fucking coming of Maradona. It is really bizarre. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Looking round this forum today, you wouldn't think we've a proven track record with loads of our players. The forwards and Gini all getting slated while everyone heaps praise on Thiago. I find it really weird how quickly our supporters dismiss the value of players who have proven their worth and a lad who's barely kicked a ball for us, who's played 5 or 6 games and we've barely scored while he's on the pitch, who was completely fucking dominated by our midfield when we played against him is lauded like he's the 2nd fucking coming of Maradona. It is really bizarre. 

Tis the Liverpool Way.

• Upvote 1