You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

On 18/12/2020 at 10:34, Em City said:

He may be 30 but he's an incredible athlete and is seemingly indestructible. Considering we have sicknotes like Keita and Chamberlain on higher wages, it's borderline disgraceful we're been mingebags on a wage increase and an extra year.

Yeah, he's a natural athlete. 

There's no reason to think he'll physically decline between 33 and 34. He clearly takes great care of himself and is a real pro.

It would be near impossible to replace him at this point. I can't think of a midfielder who does the shadow work better than him. Doesn't score much, doesn’t assist, doesn’t pass it long or through the lines, not a ball winner, but he contributes to winning. I'll be real intrigued about what we do if he does go. We could just buy a top class midfielder and have that player do a similar job, I guess.

We need him. 

Klopp really has brought out the very best in players. Like Henderson I never thought he'd play at a level he is playing now. Time under Klopp and our coaches makes players reach their potential, every player in the world with hopes of self improvement should be champing at the bit to play for them.

I'd rather sell Milner, Keita and Ox to keep him. He is more important that all of them. Sell them, buy some youth and keep Gini

East this transfer shit. 

What do people think on Kalvin Phillips of Leeds looks good the little I have seen of him

• Upvote 1

Awful news. However, I think the club are banking on Jones to make himself a regular starting player by next season. If we bring in a centre half, then Fab would go back to midfield... On paper, three starters from Thiago, Fabinho, Hendo and Jones.. with Keita and Ox as back-up/rotation options don’t look half bad. 

3 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Awful news. However, I think the club are banking on Jones to make himself a regular starting player by next season. If we bring in a centre half, then Fab would go back to midfield... On paper, three starters from Thiago, Fabinho, Hendo and Jones.. with Keita and Ox as back-up/rotation options don’t look half bad. 

With absolutely none of them (senior) being reliable fitness wise, unfortunately. Gini is a rock.

He’s never said, one way or the other, what he wants.

It would have been very easy for him to have said he wants to stay, and put the club in the driving seat,  but a bit more difficult for him to say he’s looking to go elsewhere for a new challenge.

Like most players these days, they do and say what their agents tell them to.

A midfield of Henderson,   Thiago , Fabinho , Jones, c Keita ( Reckon he will be here next season as Klopp loves him ) Oxlade Chamberlain and a new addition if Gini leaves , I hope he doesn't by the way with the new boy being gradually integrated into the 1st team will be miles better than any of our challengers .

23 minutes ago, Butch said:

Why is this even an issue? Give him whatever he wants. This is bollocks. 

On the positive side If he does go Curtis could step in there. 

I keep reading this line. Money isn't everything, and he'll get whatever he wants as a salary wherever he goes next anyway.

What if he wants an attacking role, a new challenge, and better weather?

16 minutes ago, aws said:

He always says 'it's up to the club". I've not heard him say "I really want to stay but it's up to the club".  Which suggests to me that his preference is to go. But it's his choice and good luck to him if he leaves. 

Its bollocks though. Both sides need to show some flexibility. 

Not only his he a great player, he a leader in the dressing room and on the pitch. 

I’m a bit concerned about our leadership going into next season. Lallana, Gini & Milner were / are part of the Senior Pro group. Think that only leaves Alisson, Hendo & VVD.

Obviously opportunities for others in the squad to step (Fabinho, TAA & Robbo, sure Thiago will be a huge influence...) but as can be seen at City with Kompany & Silva, it’s hard to replace their experience and leadership. 

• Upvote 1