You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

5 minutes ago, Numero said:

I wouldn’t trust something like that, but I’d say that if it’s short of what he wants, it’ll be Edwards and Klopp’s decision. I would be surprised if every contract was negotiated on board Henry’s Yacht. That said, if Klopp wants him to stay, the FSG mingebags should get their chequebook out. Simple really. 

It ties in with what Pearce was saying a couple of weeks ago. He will be very difficult to replace. Getting rid of him at a time when Milner is being phased out will be really risky.

We have to separate financial and sporting decisions. Everyone will agree he'd be a massive loss and difficult to replace, but it just might be really hard for us to give him the big wages and years he deserves, given his age. No matter how easy people think this is and that he should absolutely get a new deal, this isn't an easy situation.

Why are people making a point about his age

He turned 30 about 3 weeks back, he is fit as fuck,never injured. He has 4 or 5 years left in him easily.

We give Milner a new 2 year deal(though likely lower wages than Gini will want) last December and he was just about to turn 34

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We have to separate financial and sporting decisions. Everyone will agree he'd be a massive loss and difficult to replace, but it just might be really hard for us to give him the big wages and years he deserves, given his age. No matter how easy people think this is and that he should absolutely get a new deal, this isn't an easy situation.

I don’t think you should separate the business from the sporting. It’s a consideration at least, because not only will he be difficult to replace in a sporting sense, he will be near-impossible to replace for a better financial deal. We must consider the sporting implication in reference to the financial implication. You factor in the quality of a player and various different factors that would influence the deal. 

8 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Why are people making a point about his age

He turned 30 about 3 weeks back, he is fit as fuck,never injured. He has 4 or 5 years left in him easily.

We give Milner a new 2 year deal(though likely lower wages than Gini will want) last December and he was just about to turn 34

It's the big wages and the role he would want in the squad. Milner's contract comes with the understanding he is a bit part player, surely. Gini would probably get a bump comparable to our highest earners and a continuing role as a key first eleven player, as he enters his 30's. That's a much greater investment.

I'm not totally against it, but I get the haggling on our part.

I think the way to try and do it would be to offer a 2-year deal with a massive pay increase to bring him some sort of parity with our other key players, along with a sizeable signing-on bonus, and have the contract stipulate that the club can trigger an optional 3rd year if certain performance criteria are met over that initial 2-year period. It's in the club's best interests to try and ensure the player can meet those performance criteria (they wouldn't be anything outlandish like scoring 20 goals a season, in the case of Gini) because if the player is doing the business, then that should meet the team is doing the business too.

A lot of clubs offer contracts with optional additional years, partly to shield themselves from additional expense if the player is increasingly proving to not offer value for money anymore. I don't think clubs put performance-criteria targets in these offers, generally speaking, but it is something that is pretty common in MLB (and probably in the other Big 4 US sports).

I think Gini is happy and settled at the club and isn't looking for a new challenge elsewhere. He must know that Barcelona, even if they've been publicly tapping him up, is not a good move for anybody because they are going to be in a massive transitional phase, and thing are already pear-shaped financially.

I would hate to see him go because he is one of the most tactically astute players in the world.

It seems easy to just think the club arent offering a decent wedge to Gini, you'd think he'd be saying other things than telling journos to 'ask the club' not him about the situation. I dont doubt for one moment Jurgen wants to keep him and pay him handsomely.

Ive seen stuff that suggests Gini is not sure what his role at the club would be if he stayed. By that, I guess that means will he play every week, will he play a more advanced role like he does for the Netherlands etc, etc.

Personally, I still think he wants one more challenge but might find red ron has been booted by the time he gets to Barcelona if he's looking to Spain.

• Upvote 1

No way Koeman is there next year and Barcelona fans are bad dickheads and he will have the Koeman signing, two goals against them the other and a potentially pissed of Messi as a massive millstone round his neck. they are going nowhere, itll cost a fortune to replace him and he is arguably with Henderson as our most important and best midfielder of the past 3 very succesful years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

Isn’t he on a stupidly low wage (relatively of course) like >£60k? 

He’s earned the money he’s asking for and the club need to not be stingy cunts about it. 

I dont think it is that low but he is definitely underpaid compared to the rest of the first 11 - I think Keita Milner and Ox are all on near double what he is (@70k)

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

I dont think it is that low but he is definitely underpaid compared to the rest of the first 11 - I think Keita Milner and Ox are all on near double what he is (@70k)

Yeah I can’t remember the exact figure (they’re all estimates) but he’s significantly under paid compared to others. 

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

He does a fair bit of that as well - Milner is really in the same boat - just a half step lost due to age. All very similar players and personalities. 

Wijnaldum's problem is he's worth more to someone else than us because we don't use close to all of his attributes or seem to value his durability.  He's worth a fortune on the open market.  Edwards won't pay open market prices, I don't think.

Just now, Rotpeter said:

Wijnaldum's problem is he's worth more to someone else than us because we don't use close to all of his attributes or seem to value his durability.  He's worth a fortune on the open market.  Edwards won't pay open market prices, I don't think.

Yea, nice problem to have. He is going to bank a bundle at signing.